Gringo's Thread

6,559 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TyHolden
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Starting this one since others have asked we get off the Coming and Going thread

If you haven't done so, I suggest downloading the TexMex Insiders app. You can get on the waitlist there.

Also if you join the club for $25, you get $25 to use for a future
visit and earn points each visit. Very similar to Landry's program.

[This thread is for honest reviews and the posters that like to get on threads just to bash chain restaurants should probably not comment on this thread. This edit is not direct at the OP but posters that will open this just to troll this thread. There is the warning for those posters. -Staff]
JMac03
AG
Marisco bowl. You can get tortillas with it. I thought it was good. Shrimp, crawfish, cheese, thin layer of beans. Can't remember if it had rice.

Editing - it does have rice as the photo shows
Bucketrunner
Their chicken enchiladas are some of the best I have ever had. Love the poblano cream sauce.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
You don't have to join have the app or join the club to get on the wait list. You can do it from their website.

Gringos - College Station - join wait list
justalocal
Eaten at Gringos in Houston many times, food is much better there than here. I imagine they are still working out kinks.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Looks like rice in the picture
deh40
AG
justalocal said:

Eaten at Gringos in Houston many times, food is much better there than here. I imagine they are still working out kinks.
Only been to Gringo's once here, but thought it was just as good as the locations I have eaten at in Houston many times.
JMac03
AG
LOL. Yes. I didn't look that closely (it was a few weeks back).
bobinator
AG
We got their fajitas curbside the other night, they were probably better than anywhere else we've had here in town.
Tom Cardy
AG
ate there earlier in the week, got on the waitlist online 2 hours early and got seated quickly. Food was fast and tasty, beef fajitas cooked perfectly
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Can anyone comment on how the margaritas are? Asking for a friend….
JMac03
AG
I think they are pretty good. Not amazing but good. They have happy hour 4-6 weekdays (not 100% sure about Friday).
Txmoe
AG
Red Pear DFW Luke said:

Can anyone comment on how the margaritas are? Asking for a friend….

Wife got a pineapple margarita that was excellent. Not too sweet, and even a little savory.
MsDoubleD81
AG
El Capitan and queso loco! Watermelon margarita with salt on the rim! Yummy!!!
ReelAg6
Ate there Friday. It was good, not great. I got the seafood enchiladas. The shrimp seemed like the precooked/frozen kind, but covered in the cheese and sauce, it was fine. My wife got the ribeye street tacos and they were a little bland and dried out. Service wasn't great, but that's to be expected early on. Chips seem like Tostitos and I wasn't impressed by the red salsa. No flavor really other than tomato. Green sauce was fine.
lawless89
ReelAg6 said:

Ate there Friday. It was good, not great. I got the seafood enchiladas. The shrimp seemed like the precooked/frozen kind, but covered in the cheese and sauce, it was fine. My wife got the ribeye street tacos and they were a little bland and dried out. Service wasn't great, but that's to be expected early on. Chips seem like Tostitos and I wasn't impressed by the red salsa. No flavor really other than tomato. Green sauce was fine.
Agreed. It was good, but not great. Probably won't end up back there for a while. Definitely not even close to Pappasitos level. Lupe Tortilla is a better in town option for us.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
lawless89 said:

ReelAg6 said:

Agreed. It was good, but not great. Probably won't end up back there for a while. Definitely not even close to Pappasitos level. Lupe Tortilla is a better in town option for us.
Can't beat that Carne Asada.....
howapi
AG
I agree with the good but not great sentiment. I will probably stick with Camino's as my goto mexican for now. its about on par quality wise, but cheaper and no wait.
MiMi
S
Quote:

I wasn't impressed by the red salsa. No flavor really other than tomato.
I wasn't impressed with the red salsa either. However, the spicy red salsa served with the ribeye street tacos is very good (and very spicy). Next time I go, I'm going to ask for that instead when the chips and salsa are brought to the table.
TyHolden
AG
MiMi said:

Quote:

I wasn't impressed with the red salsa either. However, the spicy red salsa served with the ribeye street tacos is very good (and very spicy). Next time I go, I'm going to ask for that instead when the chips and salsa are brought to the table.
Agree with this. Food was great though. Easily best Mexican food in town.
halibut sinclair
TyHolden said:

MiMi said:

Quote:

We like Gringo's, but there are plenty of places around BCS that are just as good. Some better.
BCSWguru
nothing spicy on the menu there, so the name gringos fits.
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
It's decent. But I haven't really found a place in Brazos valley that I consider very good.
halibut sinclair
CM Trump Voter said:

It's decent. But I haven't really found a place in Brazos valley that I consider very good.

Have you been to Cielito Lindo in Waller? Not really Brazos Valley but relatively close.
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
halibut sinclair said:

CM Trump Voter said:

Have you been to Cielito Lindo in Waller? Not really Brazos Valley but relatively close.

No. Is it worth a trip?
TyHolden
AG
halibut sinclair said:

TyHolden said:

MiMi said:

Quote:

We like Gringo's, but there are plenty of places around BCS that are just as good. Some better.
yeah, i should probably walk that back...i was just shocked we got in and that my kids actually liked it.
tmaggies
AG
Just ok and no Chili Relleno.
ElephantRider
AG
I thought it was very good, but not spectacular.
tbone94
AG
Margs were good. Tortillas for fajitas were not fresh, asked for replacement they were no better. Cheese enchiladas were made with too much flour in the gravy. Not near as good as Spring location. Hoping they work it out.
bobinator
AG
I want to note that my "better than anywhere else" comment was specifically about getting them curbside. I've definitely had better in-restaurant. But their curbside "family fajita pack" was good, and a pretty good value. Lots of guac/salsa/rice/etc compared to when you normally get fajitas to go.
VAXMaster
AG
Pretty disappointed! As far as TexMex chains go, this was no where close to Pappasitos but had some advantages and disadvantages to Chuys and Los Cucos.

Starting with chips and salsa, Gringos is absolutely the worst of the bunch by a mile. The chips were like Tostitos served straight out of the bag, not warm and not fresh. The salsa was more like Pace picante sauce, bland and boring.

The chicken enchiladas were better than Chuys and maybe on par to a bit better than Los Cucos. The best thing was the fajita beef which was easily as good or better than any of their competitors. Southwest egg rolls were pretty good but not spectacular.

The on line wait list worked well, definitely take advantage if you go.
phillytex24
I love our Gringos! So glad to have them in BCS. Hope to see even more restaurants in SoCo!
Picadillo
There's a reason it's called "Gringos"
war hymn aggie
AG
went with the wife a few days ago for an early dinner. Arrived about 4:30 & got seated immediately. Lots of people waiting for tables by the time we left around 5:30, tho.
Food & service were very good.
Only negatives were that the music was so loud that we had to raise our voices to carry on a convo & the wife said the restroom doors wouldn't close properly & both kept opening up even with the "lock" in the locked position.
tb9665
My son lives in Houston. Might be a while before I go there. Good but not great.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.