Section327Ag said:

Pretty disappointed! As far as TexMex chains go, this was no where close to Pappasitos but had some advantages and disadvantages to Chuys and Los Cucos.

Starting with chips and salsa, Gringos is absolutely the worst of the bunch by a mile. The chips were like Tostitos served straight out of the bag, not warm and not fresh. The salsa was more like Pace picante sauce, bland and boring.

The chicken enchiladas were better than Chuys and maybe on par to a bit better than Los Cucos. The best thing was the fajita beef which was easily as good or better than any of their competitors. Southwest egg rolls were pretty good but not spectacular.

The on line wait list worked well, definitely take advantage if you go.
Gringo's beats Chuys on their seafood things thrown in. Chuys doesn't have much in that area. From my Hula Hut days (same company), I think they have shrimp burritos, etc. Chuy's is very basic in that area. Gringo's has 4-5 seafood items and they're pretty good. Yes, the Gringos regular salsa taste like ketchup but that resonates with the whole family (kids, etc). Personally, I like their ribeye street taco sauce the best and even then, I'd like it to be a bit hotter.

Chuy's and Trudy's will go head-to-head in the Mexican Martini area where Trudy's is really known for. They didn't create the drink but they were very close in being #2. Also, Trudy's offers Migas all day. Not sure there is a restaurant in CS that even offers Migas. When Trudy's gets going, they could be the place for Aggieland as their original Austin location near the university is always crowded. Drinks are good. Food is ok. Great for college kids.