How frequently do y'all get jury duty notices?

4,961 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JMac03
Smeghead4761
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I ask because I just got my third in the 6 years I've lived in Brazos county, and the second in 12 months.

I didn't have to report with the first two, but it seems like a lot.

In my 24 previous years of adult life before coming here, received exactly 1 jury duty notice, which I dodged by being in the Army, in another state a couple of thousand miles away. Which might also have something to do with why I didn't get any after that until I moved here.

But my parents, who've lived in the same place for the last 50 years, only seem to get a single jury duty notice every 5-6 years, between the two of them combined.

What has been the experience of the other denizens of F35?
trouble
AG
I've gotten at least 1/year since moving back in 2018.

I've gotten 2 (from different courts) in the last 4 months.
ratfacemcdougal
From what i understand you only have to do 1 per year. You should only get one notice then your name is off the list until next year. They pull off driver license, voter registration, and tax records
Stucco
I've never been called anywhere else I've lived, but here it is around once per year.
Law361
AG
I think I get one at least every other year.
MiMi
S
I've lived in Brazos County for 32 years. Jury summons seem to come an average at once per year, but the interval is irregular. I've only had to go through the voir dire a handful times and selected to serve only once. Most of the time, it's been canceled when I call the night before.
deh40
AG
Just got my fourth one since moving here in 2014. Coincidentally my wife got one on the same day.
aggiemom89
Both my husband and myself seem to be called once or twice every year for the last 10 years.
montegobay
At least one a year, and it's almost always cancelled.
Rapier108
For about 8 years, I got 2, every single year without fail, but it finally stopped. Probably the only good thing that came out of 2020.

I even called once to ask why it was happening and they said it was just random chance. Somehow I don't believe that, but I don't think it was targeting me. I think their system just sucks and keeps picking certain names over and over.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
maroon barchetta
Been awhile but I did receive several in short order for a few years.

With our mail delivery issues there is no telling who gets them now.
hihozippo
AG
I get about one per year and have had to go in several times. Served on one jury so far.
txgardengirl
Make sure your DL and voter registration read exactly the same or you may be in the pool twice
gibby03
AG
I used to get summoned 1 time a year like clock work. Then like 6 years ago I served on a jury. Gotten maybe 2 since then and both times it got cancelled.
Tom Cardy
AG
never had one at any point in my life
Stupe
S
At least once a year and maybe twice.
If I get one early and can't serve, I've gotten a second one in the same year.

I try to serve if I can.
Birddog
AG
I have received 2 so far this year. County court and Bryan municipal. Overall I seem to get at least two a year. Actually been selected 4 times, and not once was I asked a question individually in voir dire.
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
I've received several over the last few years. It's becoming oppressive. I think that they've realized who the attendant citizens are and have on send them notices.
UglyScientist
Once a year. Never gets canceled (except the time I was supposed to go in April 2020). Always make it to voir dire, served once. I had a baby last year so thankfully I've been exempt for the the last 2 summons.
LOYAL AG
AG
Birddog said:

I have received 2 so far this year. County court and Bryan municipal. Overall I seem to get at least two a year. Actually been selected 4 times, and not once was I asked a question individually in voir dire.
Your chances of being selected go up if you don't answer questions. Both sides are given a finite number of strikes so the fact that you speak at all is probably a concern for at least one side. Then what you actually say may also be cause for concern. If you're quiet and both sides exhaust their strikes then you're one of much smaller pool of who's left. IIRC in a civil trial it's 1-x minus the strikes so if you're in the first 20 or so you're getting picked unless you give them reason to strike you.
Loaded
AG
MiMi said:

I've lived in Brazos County for 32 years. Jury summons seem to come an average at once per year, but the interval is irregular. I've only had to go through the voir dire a handful times and selected to serve only once. Most of the time, it's been canceled when I call the night before.
This has been my experience too. I've lived here 25 years.
mosesrab90
AG
Wife was summoned and selected/served on a criminal trial (~3 day trial). She has been summoned again 3 months later for a civil court. I've also been summoned for a different civil court. Averages 1x per year.
One Louder
AG
We each get one about every year-and-a-half. Same frequency for our son (he lives in a rental in Bryan with friends but we get his summons at our address since that's still his permanent address for now)
FlyRod
At least once a year. I thought the duration you could be notice free was 6 months, not a full year, but I really don't know.
texAZtea
AG
I have never received a jury summons. Is there an age when it starts to kick in?
Stucco
Anyone have any insight into why we are called so frequently?
BQ_90
AG
About once every two years. Lived here since 2006. About half the time it gets cancelled
dallasiteinsa02
Moved back in 2016. Been called 12 times and served on one grand jury for six months. Their system is broken. The funny thing is there are five other people that are always there with me.
TheOC16
AG
It asks if you're "of sound mind and good moral character". Last time I got a summons I replied honestly that I'm not of good moral character, and they haven't summoned me again.
tfunk02
AG
I have had three in three and a half years. My wife has had zero in the same time. Two of mine were cancelled.
Nosmo
AG
Both myself & wife each get about 1 per year (pre-COVID).

Last county we lived in was about 1 per 3 years.

Not long after we moved here (and noticing the higher frequency), I asked fellow prospective jurors, at the court house, about their notifications. They said every year or so was typical.

I do think there are more cancellations in Brazos than our last county, but its a very small sample size.

Wife and I have both gotten more than one notice in one year in Brazos county.

Definitely more notices in Brazos county vs previous county.

tb9665
I use to get them every year. For the past 6 years, I have only received 1.
badbilly
AG
Me… every year, wife twice in 17 years. They could do a better job with their random selections.
Loaded
AG
Does Brazos county (unnecessarily) call for jury pools more often than other counties? Honest question... just wondering why some folks, including myself, get a jury summons so frequently.
Bunk Moreland
Timely thread. Just got my 2nd this year. I get 1-2 every single year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.