Who are the panhandlers at University & 6 Frontage Road?

8,062 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Broncos
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
iisanaggie said:

I contacted CS non-emergency today after one of the guys on University came up to my window and kept staring at me and would not back away. The officer said that they are not supposed to be approaching vehicles at intersections. We'll see if anything gets done.
I saw them doing that today to people sitting in the left turn lane waiting to turn onto the southbound feeder road.

My first thought is one of them is going to get run over, or shot doing that.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
lawless89
Five guys in neon shirts today working university/6 and Harvey/6. Drove through several times and they were walking up to everyone's windows. Even saw one guy jokingly beg someone to open their window. They were all carrying plastic jugs.
Hornbeck
Obviously, CSPD is out trying to hunt down the wheel and tire thieves, along with all the catalytic converter thefts.

Give them a break, guys…
dubi
AG
TyHolden said:

i'd say we're in a recession but i don't know what the definition is anymore...

Can you provide the definition of a woman?
A Net Full of Jello
AG
BlueMiles said:

What about the "Baby has cancer" ones near the Briarcrest Chick-Fil-A?
Saw one of those at Texas and Deacon yesterday (Friday, July 29) but this one was for a child who needed heart surgery.
Buford T. Justice
AG
The "gypsies" used to travel through the Beaumont area about once every two years in the 1980's. Robberies always ensured/
phatpat21
Just saw them at Texas/Southwest Parkway last Monday around noon! I had never seen them before and told my wife I truly didn't believe them…I've been burned a couple times before and it has really turned me off to giving money to anyone. I'll gladly buy them food/water if they want. There has been more and more people on the side of the road asking for money lately too…
there were skittles in there!
PharmD4
AG
Yesterday was the first time seeing them at Arrington and Fitch… and they were being pretty aggressive about it.
maroon barchetta
PharmD4 said:

Yesterday was the first time seeing them at Arrington and Fitch… and they were being pretty aggressive about it.

Call CSPD
iisanaggie
AG
They were there again yesterday at University and the feeder. Maybe if enough of us keep calling, CSPD will do something about it.
Hornbeck
That has really worked with all the tire and rim thefts along with the catalytic converters.

I'm of the opinion that the local PD is only interested in the low hanging fruit… you could tell them they were minors in possession or have weed?
TheOC16
AG
If someone like this genuinely wanted to work, do y'all actually think they could find any somewhere?

Smelly, no shower, no clean clothes. I ask because I met someone who genuinely appeared to want to work but didn't know where to go. I got info on how to contact him again if I found anything.
Tim Weaver
TheOC16 said:

If someone like this genuinely wanted to work, do y'all actually think they could find any somewhere?

Smelly, no shower, no clean clothes. I ask because I met someone who genuinely appeared to want to work but didn't know where to go. I got info on how to contact him again if I found anything.
Restaurants will hire anyone as a kitchen worker or busser.

Construction grunts don't have to be clean to go to work.

Landscape work too.

There are probably a dozen easy to find jobs that one could do while being dirty.

Fact is these folks earn plenty of unreported cash for doing nothing more than standing on the corner and looking pitiful. Those that are out there moving around from corner to corner, town to town are not actually looking for work. They aren't startving. They probably aren't homeless, or at least they aren't without shelter.

What they are is grifters, and scammers who are actually making pretty good money on the whole, but mostly they are spending that money on drugs instead of food and shelter.
Broncos
TheOC16 said:

I ask because I met someone who genuinely appeared to want to work but didn't know where to go.

*Appeared* being the key word there.

There are plenty of places desperate for people who want to work.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.