Who are the panhandlers at University & 6 Frontage Road?

8,057 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Broncos
BaitShack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've seen them lately walking in traffic, approaching cars, and waving some kind of card / note around.
AggiePhil
AG
Usually an out of town "church" or "shelter."
Stupe
S
If they are walking into traffic, they need to be reported.
TyHolden
AG
something never said in Austin....
Broncos
Hornbeck
TyHolden said:

something never said in Austin....
If this was Austin, there'd be a tent city under the overpass
PS3D
Stupe said:

If they are walking into traffic, they need to be r...
FIFY to keep it more ambiguous.
techno-ag
AG
Book em Danno!
maroon barchetta
The lady with the sign about a heart condition was working Texas and university today.

She's been a Villa Maria and Texas more recently.
Marlin39m
Did you see the group a couple of months ago collecting for a "baby's funeral?" They are total trash with no morals whatsoever. They come here from Houston or Austin because this is an affluent area filled with good, benevolent people that they can scam.

It is against the law to solicit from the roadway or right of way.
maroon barchetta
Haven't seen them.

Saw a young tatted-up couple under a tree at Jones Crossing today near Mod Pizza and the dental place with a sign saying they were homeless and to please help.

Haven't seen them before.

I did see a homeless guy a few weeks back who actually looked homeless (this young couple was not looking haggard like this guy). He was down in front of that restaurant space that never opened on the corner past I heart Mac N Cheese and the buff city soap store.

When I went to Jersey Mike's I got him a sub and a Gatorade and a bottle of water and took it to him. He looked really thirsty. He was not standing at that point and was not in the shade. It's brutal out there.
CS78
Is it too late to get a Slayer tribute band for this summer's starlight series? Hippies hate death metal.
BaitShack
AG
One of the guys today did have a man bun.
maroon barchetta
CS78 said:

Is it too late to get a Slayer tribute band for this summer's starlight series? Hippies hate death metal.

The weather is similar to a description of Hades so your band suggestion checks out.
woodiewood1
maroon barchetta said:

Haven't seen them.

Saw a young tatted-up couple under a tree at Jones Crossing today near Mod Pizza and the dental place with a sign saying they were homeless and to please help.

I did see a homeless guy a few weeks back who actually looked homeless (this young couple was not looking haggard like this guy). He was down in front of that restaurant space that never opened on the corner past I heart Mac N Cheese and the buff city soap store.

When I went to Jersey Mike's I got him a sub and a Gatorade and a bottle of water and took it to him. He looked really thirsty. He was not standing at that point and was not in the shade. It's brutal out there.
The problem is is that you don't know what is legit. There is a single lady and another couple that go by many of the real estate offices each about once month asking people in the parking lot for "fuel money." I tell them I won't give money but if you want to meet me at the gas station down the street I will put $10 of gasoline in your car. They just snarl a little and walk off.

There's a young guy who goes about twice a week through inside Barnes and Noble, HEB and I assume other stores asking for money because he ran out of gasoline. His hit rate is really low.

I will help anyone, but won't give money to anything that I can't confirm is legit.
ratfacemcdougal
There is a couple that works the cs walmart. They park their nice work truck by the texas ave entrance then walk over to the longmire entrance with their poor me signs.
techno-ag
AG
With all the places hiring, it should be easy to get a job in this town. Heck every place I go has a help wanted sign. I would think at the very least it would be more interesting to spend the day doing something productive instead of standing around panhandling.
EliteElectric
I have personally seen a sprinter van picking up and dropping off the "workers" at University and HWY 6. It's a business.
FlyRod
Quote:

Haven't seen them.

I thought I read that evictions are up quite a bit, which could be one reason. Not always easy to apply for work if you don't have a fixed address either.
maroon barchetta
1. Get jobs prior to eviction
2. Pay rent on time
3. Don't blow money on tattoos and piercing and vaping and other non-essential expenses
4. ???????
5. Profit
farmerJohnny
Are these by any chance Roma (gypsy) people? If so they have recently come from eastern Europe (likely Romania) thru Mexico. They are all related to each other and let each other know which areas are more lucrative.
Most of them make enough money from begging, that they can afford to buy luxurious cars (as one of the posters mentioned above).
Please do not give them any money. Tell them you have work for them, and that you can find a job for them. They will either say they don't understand what you are saying, or they will say that they have a medical problem that does not allow them to work.
Unfortunately, they are abusing the goodness of the people here in town. Any dollar that you give to them, is a dollar that encourages them to do it again. It would be nice for KBTX or someone in the news to let everyone know, that nobody should be giving these people money. I know there are situations where there are real needs, but those need to be verified before you throw money at them.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I've seen two hard case guys in wheelchairs this week.
One must have had 4wd to get where he was stationed.
FlyRod
Maybe they can open a restaurant here. When I lived in Eastern Europe, I ate some very delicious Roma/Gypsy food.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I like those panhandlers or "fundraisers" that always act like they are talking to the car behind you. It's really a creative strategy. They basically head nod up and walk towards the car behind you making it look like everyone else but you is donating to their cause/scheme.
EMY92
AG
There was a story about a guy in Waco several years ago. Each morning he'd leave home like he was going to work dressed professionally.

He would stop at McDonald's, Walmart, or one of the other businesses near a busy intersection and change in grubby clothes.

He was "earning" $1000 to $1500 per day begging.

The story said that his wife didn't know, but I do not know how someone would miss the tan, sweat, and other evidence.
techno-ag
AG
EMY92 said:

There was a story about a guy in Waco several years ago. Each morning he'd leave home like he was going to work dressed professionally.

He would stop at McDonald's, Walmart, or one of the other businesses near a busy intersection and change in grubby clothes.

The story said that his wife didn't know, but I do not know how someone would miss the tan, sweat, and other evidence.
Just another reason to never give these people money. There's no way to vet them. Offer to pay some bills, buy them lunch or something. But never hand over cash.
Smeghead4761
EMY92 said:

Get a gym membership, shower in the locker room before going home. Then stop by a bank (not the one used for his regular family stuff) and deposit the day's 'earnings'. Transfer salary from the 'employer' every two weeks.
PharmD4
AG
I almost started a similar thread a couple days ago.

I've seen a noticeable uptick on Rock Prairie (both along feeders and Longmire).

But the topper was witnessing a car drop off 3 kids (ages ranging 7-10) in the "Gateway Station" parking lot off University in triple digit heat. I had just parked and one of the kids ran over and knocked on my car window to offer me an unlabeled bottle of water for $1. Thought I was back in Houston for a second…
TyHolden
AG
i'd say we're in a recession but i don't know what the definition is anymore...
Lone Stranger
The two I saw at 6 and University yesterday (going in traffic) did have matching shirts/logos on them....so they had that going for them.
BlueMiles
AG
What about the "Baby has cancer" ones near the Briarcrest Chick-Fil-A?
W
AG
one thing about panhandling...there's no withholding tax or FICA/SS deduction.

so if you can get 4 people to hand you a $20 bill (over the course of several hours) --- that's about the same as working an 8-hour day at a store.

and there won't be a W-2 or 1099 at the end of the year
techno-ag
AG
W said:

one thing about panhandling...there's no withholding tax or FICA/SS deduction.

so if you can get 4 people to hand you a $20 bill (over the course of several hours) --- that's about the same as working an 8-hour day at a store.

and there won't be a W-2 or 1099 at the end of the year
They definitely don't pay their fair share in taxes.
UglyScientist
BlueMiles said:

What about the "Baby has cancer" ones near the Briarcrest Chick-Fil-A?

Oh I saw her this past weekend on University at the light with Home Depot/Cheddars/Fish Daddy's.
iisanaggie
AG
I contacted CS non-emergency today after one of the guys on University came up to my window and kept staring at me and would not back away. The officer said that they are not supposed to be approaching vehicles at intersections. We'll see if anything gets done.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.