Amazon drone service, anyone go to the meeting?

6,481 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Night Ag Cometh
Bob2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just wondering if anyone had details. Fulfillment center going in to wreak havoc on traffic, etc or just a publicity stunt?
Feel like a lab rat already with the diverging diamond and CS traffic light timing...
befitter
Friend of mine went. The drone is huge and will only deliver within a 4 mile radius. Drops your order from 12' into your backyard. There will be a demonstration 8/13 at Century Square.
armymom
My husband said the drone is as big as a car. Won't be landing in my backyard with the trees we have.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I didn't go to the meeting, but I'm looking forward to this. This is the future and we're going to be able to assist in perfecting it. Besides, anything that gets USPS out of the business of losing my packages is a good thing in my opinion.
doubledog
befitter said:

Friend of mine went. The drone is huge and will only deliver within a 4 mile radius. Drops your order from 12' into your backyard. There will be a demonstration 8/13 at Century Square.
How, have you seen the size of the backyards (on the tiny size) in the new developments?
Hornbeck
Great. Knowing my luck, it will drop in my pool…
Tom Cardy
AG
They contacted me about setting up a backyard survey to determine compatibility. My yard is larger with no trees or pool, so probably a prime (hah) candidate for it. I'm still on the fence for whether or not I want to have drones of that size flying that close to the house.
halibut sinclair
befitter said:

Drops your order from 12' into your backyard.
It doesn't land in your yard.
TyHolden
AG
so the site was approved?
TyHolden
AG
inviting big tech into your back yard with a camera is probably not the best idea for a lot of people in this area....yes, those pictures are kept forever.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
TyHolden said:

inviting big tech into your back yard with a camera is probably not the best idea for a lot of people in this area....yes, those pictures are kept forever.
I will plan on doing some nude sunbathing around the anticipated delivery time.
TyHolden
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

TyHolden said:

yeah, you're probably not one i'm thinking of....and it has nothing to do with sun bathing. a lot of people have flags flying that would get them canceled in a heartbeat. and dumb college kids' futures ruined over a stupid package. wait for it....
trouble
AG
Then those people should likely stick with regular prime delivery
TyHolden
AG
trouble said:

Then those people and your neighbors (or anybody within 4-5 miles of the center) should likely stick with regular prime delivery
fify....
Independence H-D
Solutions
Jinx
TyHolden said:

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

TyHolden said:

yeah, you're probably not one i'm thinking of....and it has nothing to do with sun bathing. a lot of people have flags flying that would get them canceled in a heartbeat. and dumb college kids' futures ruined over a stupid package. wait for it....
Somehow we went from a demonstration to a hypothetical dumb college kid's future in less than a page.

Interesting.

I don't think these drones will have any more access than what is already found online through google maps, google earth, County Appraisal District, Ring, Alexa, etc. Tech is going to happen, if not here it will happen elsewhere and spread here.
cslifer
Do you really think Amazon is reviewing footage from drone delivery for offensive stuff so it can be used against people? That is one heck of a stretch…
TyHolden
AG
cslifer said:

Do you really think Amazon is reviewing footage from drone delivery for offensive stuff so it can be used against people? That is one heck of a stretch…
Nope. They use ALL of their data and analyze just about everything. Some AWSer would do this just for kicks on the weekend. Reviewing files can be easily scripted and analyzed if you have the resources (which they have unlimited). It could easily be done in real time.
FAANG already has all your data I know. I don't see any reason to give them any more. Flame Away.
AggieCVQ
They absolutely *could*, but they won't. Amazon really isn't interested in anything besides getting you to puchase more crap or to spend money on AWS.
One Louder
AG
With our luck, I'm sure our packages will land in dog poo as the drone attempts to avoid the pool.
Tom Cardy
AG
worth noting that you have to opt in to this service, it's not just going to be the default option from my understanding
Koko Chingo
AG
I missed the informational and may not be in town for the demo on the 13th.

Does anyone know if Drone delivery is same day service? Daytime deliveries only, I assume?

I see their location will be behind the BMW Mercedes dealerships. I am curious how big their distribution center will be and what kinds of items they will normally keep in stock. There is also a lot of open space to expand.
Tom Cardy
AG
1 hour delivery by drone within 4 miles of the facility. I imagine they'll have top x% of the most popular items in certain categories. I believe you'll be able to filter and shop for items that qualify for 1 hour delivery within the app
91_Aggie
AG
I got email to sign up for deliveries at my house.
I said yes... going to come to my house later this month to do a survey to make sure it can deliver to my backyard.

got a $50 gift card for setting appt.
Will get another when Survey complete.

I, for one, welcome our new Drone Overlords!
TyHolden
AG
be careful what you wish. the CIA just droned somebody today. big tech loves to work with the guberment.
dubi
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

TyHolden said:

TMI
91_Aggie
AG
dear lord, someone needs to go back to F16
TyHolden
AG
91_Aggie said:

dear lord, someone needs to go back to F16
well, I know one of us works with the AWS ML / AI group....not sure about the both of us.

you should read this little dandy....all is fair in cloud wars

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3861353-microsoft-looks-to-google-others-to-help-curb-amazons-cloud-computing-prowess-report
spike427
AG
Thanks for the alert! I had missed my email about it. How long did it take for them to contact you after opting in?
91_Aggie
AG
spike427 said:

Thanks for the alert! I had missed my email about it. How long did it take for them to contact you after opting in?

It was next day
spike427
AG
91_Aggie said:

spike427 said:

It was next day

They emailed me today! That was speedy!
Nealthedestroyer
AG
Amazon drones? You mean flying targets with prizes?
Vae Victis
maroon barchetta
Nealthedestroyer said:

Amazon drones? You mean flying targets with prizes?

Airborne piñatas!!
nought
AG
The people saying they heard back from Amazon -- how did you get in touch with them originally to see if they would deliver to you?
91_Aggie
AG
nought said:

The people saying they heard back from Amazon -- how did you get in touch with them originally to see if they would deliver to you?

They contacted me.

I have prime account and am within 4 miles
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.