The Aggiedome Remains Undefeated

27,266 Views | 297 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by scd88
ElephantRider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MiMi said:

legalbird said:

There has to be a scientific reason to explain the dome. It is real.
From Goose83 in the other Aggiedome thread:
Quote:

BCS is the high spot between the Brazos and the Navasota Rivers (and the Academic Building is the midpoint between the two).

My father pointed out the effect to me as a kid, having learned it from his father, who himself observed it while working as a farm hand in the early 1900's. Like most things in the physical world, storms look for paths of least resistance, and when coming upon the Brazos Valley, will break apart into two sections, with one going down the Brazos bottoms, and the other down the Navasot, before joining back together once they've passed BCS.

Seem plausible, but not exactly a scientific explanation
Buford T. Justice
AG
Has the O&M Department ever done a study on the dome?
doubledog
ElephantRider said:

MiMi said:

legalbird said:

Quote:

BCS is the high spot between the Brazos and the Navasota Rivers (and the Academic Building is the midpoint between the two).

My father pointed out the effect to me as a kid, having learned it from his father, who himself observed it while working as a farm hand in the early 1900's. Like most things in the physical world, storms look for paths of least resistance, and when coming upon the Brazos Valley, will break apart into two sections, with one going down the Brazos bottoms, and the other down the Navasot, before joining back together once they've passed BCS.

The same old "Indian" tale involves tornadoes. A city located at the fork of two rivers is safe from tornadoes. A good example is Wichita KS. No serious tornadoes in my life time. (Andover just east of Wichita was hit twice).

I think it is just that: a tale.
FlyRod
Looks like another chance for the dome to **** us over on Friday.
Bad Poster
ElephantRider said:

MiMi said:

legalbird said:

Quote:

Looking at a topo map of texas. It does look like a nice ridge between brazos and navasota on this map.
tb9665
Hate to say this. But, I will. Maybe it will take something (big/small) out of the Gulf of Mexico at this rate.
texAZtea
AG
I would believe that bit about the bottoms getting rain when the city doesn't if I hadn't been in a field in the bottoms watching storm systems break up before my eyes and leave us dry this summer, on multiple occasions.
EliteElectric
Looks like the dome is gonna get it's chance to swing into action around 4pm

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Drove down to the tank earlier today. Really need some rain. I guess if I ever want to redo my walkway, now is the time.
doubledog
I will take odds on the Aggie Dome holding as usual
TyHolden
AG
chances have moved from about 20-30% to 10-15%....
ElephantRider
AG
It's not happening
Rapier108
Never bet against The Dome, even if a hurricane is coming.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
EliteElectric
Almost here

techno-ag
AG
Rapier108 said:

BCS is a great place for data centers, cloud backups, etc. Hurricanes lose a lot of force by the time they get here.
ElephantRider
AG
techno-ag said:

Rapier108 said:

BCS is a great place for data centers, cloud backups, etc. Hurricanes lose a lot of force by the time they get here.

Why aren't we advertising this? If storms are terrible for your business, come one down to Bryan-College Station where it never rains!
techno-ag
AG
ElephantRider said:

techno-ag said:

Rapier108 said:

Why aren't we advertising this? If storms are terrible for your business, come one down to Bryan-College Station where it never rains!

https://fibertown.com/data-centers/bryan-data-center/
Quote:

FIBERTOWN BRYAN is located outside the FEMA 500-year flood zone and out of reach of hurricanes and flooding.
BCSWguru
I look off to the southeast and see clouds that dropping rain……nowhere near BCS.
maroon barchetta
Wind sure picked up but no rain

Tom Cardy
AG
That big wind gust knocked out power to the Woodcreek area around 4:40, still hasn't been restored. Hopefully clouds and wind can keep it cool for a while
MsDoubleD81
AG
Without power too. Actually kinda nice out with the cloud cover and breeze.

Saying mine should be restored by 6:40.
Tom Cardy
AG
Appears to be back on now. Outside feels nice with the breeze and clouds, dogs are loving it compared to the last 3 months
histag10
AG
Looks like our neighbors got a sprinkle but we got nothing out here. Looks like some of North Bryan may have gotten a shower or two.
halibut sinclair
City of Bryan just put out a Stage 1 voluntary water conservation notice.
merc
AG
I gave up on the news a long time ago. Now I can't even watch the weather.

FlyRod
Xeriscaping. Cacti and rocks.

Also cannot stop laughing that BCS is in that green area.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2otlk.html
TyHolden
AG
I see it. Not believing it. It's raining in SoCo.
Tom Cardy
AG
TyHolden said:

I see it. Not believing it. It's raining in SoCo.
Only lasted 2 minutes at my house
trouble
AG
It's teasing us here in central Bryan
MiMi
S
Quote:

It's raining in SoCo
Not a drop in my yard in Castlegate
Average Joe
AG
WE HAVE RAAAAAIIIIINNNNNNN!!!

I'm off Rock Prairie.
Average Joe
AG
And it's gone.
Tailgate88
AG
10 minutes of a light shower in Woodlake and I am thankful for every drop. We are supposed to have a similar chance the next two afternoons so keep doing those rain dances!
iisanaggie
AG
Edit: I am going to complain about the Aggiedome more often. Getting a steady light rain now!

Dark clouds for about 45 minutes near Bryan High but not a drop at our house. My son did say he got a few sprinkles on his truck on Hwy 6.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Raining in PC

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.