Aggieland
Sponsored By

Water Rationing Question

9,321 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by Hornbeck
tb9665
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone know what it takes for the cities/county to implement water rationing. Just now looking at Accuweather and all of the 100 days in a row coming up with no rain. Keep hearing about other places asking to conserve already.
CivilAg10
AG
It varies. Each utility is required to have a drought management plan with stated threshold/ triggers and actions, but there's a bit of flexibility in what those look like based on your system
maroon barchetta
Wagers on it being announced on Tuesday when everyone returns to normal schedule from the holiday?
waterchick
CivilAg10 has an informed response.

Water utilities in TX are required to have Drought Contingency and Water Emergency Plans, per the TCEQ.

For College Station, as noted in the blog I linked in the AggieDome post, primarily the restrictions are to limit watering to two days per week, outside of the hours of 10 am-6pm. There is nothing limiting anyone from watering only 2 days per week, and not watering between 10 am and 6 pm. Don't wait for it to become mandatory, instead be an "early adopter" or "trendsetter" or "influencer." Choose your label and get to work!

The limitation on irrigation between 10 am and 6 pm is in effect year-round because those hours are when evaporation is greatest year-round. If someone is irrigating during those hours, the Drought Police don't drop out of the trees and write an immediate citation, but expect someone from Water Service to be in contact.

But what about City departments? Same thing applies. For recreational fields it's tricky based on game times but they're all on board with irrigation efficiency.
TyHolden
AG
I'm turning it on all night tonight! My hydrangeas will not die!
waterchick
Well, planting a non-adapted plant is your first mistake. If they don't survive check into Blue Plumbago or Earth Kind roses.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
waterchick said:

But what about City departments? Same thing applies.

But what about University? Same thing applies?
But what about Big Box Retailer? Same thing applies?
FlyRod
I don't remember water restrictions in 2011 when it was super bad.

Also does watering refer to lawns, or all plants? Plants in pots, etc?
tb9665
If I remember correctly, KBTX mentioned something in 2011 or few years back about businesses and homes but it was August. Not so early in the summer when hot and dry. That's why I was asking.
bushytailed
Maybe the CoCS can water the cemetery at night, rather than 3pm. There was at least one sprinkler doing a nice job of watering Texas Avenue yesterday afternoon.
maroon barchetta
bushytailed said:

Maybe the CoCS can water the cemetery at night, rather than 3pm. There was at least one sprinkler doing a nice job of watering Texas Avenue yesterday afternoon.

Do as I say, not as I do

[/CoCS]
scd88
AG
So, I'm guessing 11 pallets of Bermuda and a sprinkler system is not a good idea right now....
waterchick
Nope. Really not a good idea in July, period, but especially this July.
Edit: Replying to scd88
waterchick
No, it's Do As I Do, where "Do" is following the rules. I appreciate you pointing that out. You're not the only one, and you're right it sends the wrong message.
Hornbeck
bushytailed said:

I guess the water police don't pop out of those trees.
gigem92
AG
Got this from our HOA yesterday.

Good afternoon Neighbors,

We received this communication from the City of College Station Water Resource Coordinator regarding irrigation water usage during the existing drought conditions-

The City of College Station is requesting the following irrigation guidelines:
[ol]
  • NO watering on Mondays.
  • Irrigate Thursday/Sunday for addresses ending in 0, 2, 4, 6, 8; irrigate Wednesday/Saturday for addresses ending in 1, 3, 5, 7, 9. Many, many residents are watering Monday/Wednesday/Friday if not more often. That's more often than needed and it's driving up water demand.
  • NO automatic or hose-end irrigation between 10:00 AM and 6:00 PM. This is also something I see often. Watering with a hand-held hose, soaker hose, or drip irrigation is allowed during those hours.
  • [/ol]The above three are strongly encouraged right now. Here is a blog I issued last week with some suggestions to reduce water consumption: https://blog.cstx.gov/2022/06/29/dont-water-from-10-a-m-6-p-m-and-other-smart-tips-to-save-water-and-trim-your-bill/
    LSCSN
    bushytailed said:

not sure how the water works there, but a lot of cemeteries have water accessible to anyone that wants to roll in there and turn it on. I suspect they will just shut it off completely if that's the case.
    FlyRod
    Rumors and whispers of several days of rain starting next Thursday. Of course it won't actually happen…
    A Net Full of Jello
    AG
    bushytailed said:

I've been shocked at how many business and city-owned land I've seen watering anywhere between 1:00 and 4:00 on weekdays. Why?
    LSCSN
    A Net Full of Jello said:

bushytailed said:

I've been shocked at how many business and city-owned land I've seen watering anywhere between 1:00 and 4:00 on weekdays. Why?
    It probably takes some sort of miracle to change the timer
    scd88
    AG
    FlyRod said:

Rumors and whispers of several days of rain starting next Thursday. Of course it won't actually happen…

I respect the disclaimer.
    waterchick

bushytailed said:

For the athletic fields it's somewhat difficult to stick to a set irrigation schedule due to game and practice schedules, and the area is large enough that it can't be watered in its entirety on a single day.

Cemetery is watered with hose-end sprinklers so there is a limitation there as well.

For other locations the city is double-checking to ensure landscapes are watered following our own rules.

There was a question earlier about TAMU. The University has its own water system so they have their own rules.
    AggieBaseball06
    AG
    waterchick said:

bushytailed said:

For the athletic fields it's somewhat difficult to stick to a set irrigation schedule due to game and practice schedules, and the area is large enough that it can't be watered in its entirety on a single day.

Cemetery is watered with hose-end sprinklers so there is a limitation there as well.

For other locations the city is double-checking to ensure landscapes are watered following our own rules.

There was a question earlier about TAMU. The University has its own water system so they have their own rules.

How many games/practices are being held between midnight and 4 am on any day of the year?
    Bob2525
    Wellborn water pressure is Low on OSR.
    chickencoupe16
    AG
    CoCS recommended days would actually mean that I would water more... I currently water every 4th day but under their recommendations, I would have to shorten that a day every week or go 7 days between watering. I know I'm in the minority but lol. If their recommendations become requirements, I will not be abiding.
    scd88
    AG
    FlyRod said:

And, just like that, rain is disappearing in the forecast...
    waterchick
    chickencoupe16 said:

CoCS recommended days would actually mean that I would water more... I currently water every 4th day but under their recommendations, I would have to shorten that a day every week or go 7 days between watering. I know I'm in the minority but lol. If their recommendations become requirements, I will not be abiding.
    OK so that is a good point. I noticed that San Antonio Water System clarified their watering rules, that "just because you can water once a week doesn't mean you have to." I'll clarify to water *up to* two days per week.
    El_duderino
    You don't need to water more than once a week anyways. Deep and infrequent watering is best to get the root depth way down in the soil
    Marooned_n_Aggieland
    Some of us prefer to water the ditch on our own schedule

maroon barchetta
    Ahh, yes, the old "putting down new sod during a drought and heat wave" plan.

Solid.
    EBrazosAg
    AG
    Having dealt with their poor tree selection/requirements long ago, I wonder if the COCS landscape requirements forces that action in order to get a COI ?
    No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
    tb9665
    Has anyone taken a look at how many and how big the trees are being planted in Aggie Park? Also, wait for the grass to be planted next and the new lake to be filled.
    b0ridi
    Marooned_n_Aggieland said:

Watering schedules will be the new mask debate.
    waterchick
    Marooned_n_Aggieland said:

That's their stormwater detention (retention?) area. The pipes above ground are evidence that it's a temporary irrigation system. Not great, but also not permanent.
    waterchick
    El_duderino said:

You don't need to water more than once a week anyways. Deep and infrequent watering is best to get the root depth way down in the soil
    Yes to this! For established landscapes.

Also - love your username. From one of my favorite movies.
    Last Page
    Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.