Aggiedome strikes again

8,468 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mwm
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Wickson and Wellborn don't do water treatment- assuming you mean sewage treatment, not the addition of chlorine or fluoride to the water supply.
I think it really means water treatment. There is more to it than just adding chlorine and fluoride.

Can't just pump the water out of the ground and into pipes and expect to meet water quality standards.
EBrazosAg
AG
Yeah. But it doesn't cost more to do that in the summertime…. That was the original argument he was making. Which is untrue. And - has nothing to do with charging more for your last gallon of water than your first each month.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
histag10
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Yeah. But it doesn't cost more to do that in the summertime…. That was the original argument he was making. Which is untrue. And - has nothing to do with charging more for your last gallon of water than your first each month.

It actually does. Summer tends to have less rainfall, meaning the minerals in the water are more potent than in rainy months, which in turn means the cost of treating the water to a potable point is more expensive.
waterchick
Regarding water treatment...with the exception of the amount of water Wellborn SUD gets from the Navasota River, all of the water utilities around here are on groundwater from the Carrizo-Wilcox Aquifer. This is a confined aquifer about 3,000 feet below the land surface, so treatment consists of adding chlorine for disinfection and that's it.

Edit to add: Water utilities are required to have capacity to meet peak daily demand any day of the year, even if that capacity is only needed for, say, 3 days in August. It's expensive to have that reserve capacity. Wickson has their higher summer rates to curb seasonal demand.

When *everybody* has their irrigation systems running full blast at 5:00 AM, that is what causes the noticeable low pressure. That is why Wickson and Wellborn put out their notices to conserve, with the limitation of no watering in the early morning hours. Two days per week watering is adequate anyway. Deep, infrequent watering helps thoroughly wet the soil and help turf develop deep roots. Watering daily is not helpful.

As for restrictions in College Station - essentially what would become mandatory is encouraged right now. So, be an "early adopter" and start watering efficiently now. More tips here: https://blog.cstx.gov/2022/06/29/dont-water-from-10-a-m-6-p-m-and-other-smart-tips-to-save-water-and-trim-your-bill/
BiochemAg97
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Cooling the water could be more expensive in the summer. My understanding is the aquifer used to supply water to the Brazos county is hot. Water needs to be cooled before sending to customers. Cooling is less efficient in summer. Also, bacterial loads (depending on source) are likely higher in the summer so sanitation costs could also increase in summer. Plus pumping costs likely increase non-linearly with increased consumption. But I agree, it isn't really the driver for tiered pricing.

System capacity is expensive, and can be limited by drought conditions. Tiered pricing is primarily used to promote water conservation or reduce the need to expand capacity. Conservation by the largest users is likely to have a larger impact.

On the other hand, my Bryan water is a fixed amount for up to the first 30000 gallons. We typically use <5000 gallons (don't really water the lawn) but I'm paying for 30000. In effect, I am paying more per gallon for my 5000 gal than someone who is using 35000 gallons.
FlyRod
Xeriscaping is going to be a money maker around these parts in the near future, if it isn't already. The era of lawns is coming to an end.
wareagle044
FlyRod said:

Xeriscaping is going to be a money maker around these parts in the near future, if it isn't already. The era of lawns is coming to an end.

I enjoy having a lawn and grass. I hate weed eating, so anything I can do to reduce the edging would be welcome. I just can't imagine not having a yard without a lawn. I hate the look of properties in New Mexico / Utah / El Paso landscaping.
Ag97
AG
We're in a drought cycle right now but with annual rainfall of around 40 inches, I don't think we are in a zone where zeroscaping will be common unless the weather patterns change drastically in the long term. On the other hand, if San Antonio and Austin don't stop buying up water rights around this area and piping millions of gallons of water to the semi-arid South Central Texas area, we could have an issue of depleted aquifers in the next 5 to 20 years if they can't recharge faster than what is being removed, just like is happening with the Ogallala Aquifer that spans from the Texas Panhandle to Nebraska.

Also, as was mentioned earlier, it really doesn't cost more to produce the water in the summer but there is only so much supply available from the different wells that the municipalities use for our water supply. With the drought conditions, usage has to be curbed and the first step in doing that is asking for voluntary reduction. If that doesn't work they move to the next stage and penalties start to be enforced to reduce demand for non essential use. At some point, lawns, washing your car and sidewalks etc become non essential and the penalties are enforced to ensure we all have adequate water for our essential needs.

halibut sinclair
wareagle044 said:

FlyRod said:

I enjoy having a lawn and grass. I hate weed eating, so anything I can do to reduce the edging would be welcome. I just can't imagine not having a yard without a lawn. I hate the look of properties in New Mexico / Utah / El Paso landscaping.

Xeriscaping ain't gonna fly around these parts anytime soon, if ever.
Ribbed Paultz
FlyRod said:

disagree 100%
techno-ag
AG
Ribbed Paultz said:

FlyRod said:

disagree 100%
Of course not. Xeriscaping around here is a ridiculous notion.
FlyRod
Looking forward to bumping this thread a bit down the road.

In the meantime, the big school has put out some informative stuff on xeriscaping for your enjoyment and education.

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/xeriscape/xeriscape.html
EBrazosAg
AG
Absolutely correct! We get way too much rain in average year and water is way too cheap to xeriscape. It's actually difficult to do here. Just try to keep a pure Buffalograss lawn for 5 years here and report back to me. Neil Sperry and the county extension agent will back me up on that ….none of this means drip irrigation and consideration of water needs is a bad idea. But xeriscape won't work. You will use more herbicide or weeding than a good plan that takes our climate into consideration ever would.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod said:

Looking forward to bumping this thread a bit down the road.

In the meantime, the big school has put out some informative stuff on xeriscaping for your enjoyment and education.

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/xeriscape/xeriscape.html

I hope you bump away. Their definition of Xeriscaping is exactly what I do now and have St. Augustine grass, trees and shrubs. Not what we generally think of as xeriscaping around here.

xeriscape
/zirskp/
noun
a style of landscape design requiring little or no irrigation or other maintenance, used in arid regions.
FlyRod
Rest assured, I will. Maybe around September.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod said:

Rest assured, I will. Maybe around September.

What will you say then? I can't wait. Something about cactus and rocks?
FlyRod
Oh I don't know. It depends on what the Aggiedome does between now and then. Maybe less cactus and rocks and more desert willows and other nice looking drought resistant flora.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod said:

Oh I don't know. It depends on what the Aggiedome does between now and then. Maybe less cactus and rocks and more desert willows and other nice looking drought resistant flora.

Disappointing response.
motherrunnersBCS
I'm with you FlyRod. Looking for my new yard to have much less lawn, and certainly not the thirsty St. Augustine I have now. And definitely looking to harvest rainwater during the "floody" season to save it for use into July/August. Or I guess June/July/August now. We get too much water followed by not enough water. Then we have to water with salty city water. The plants are shocked. I have to find something more resilient - between the two freezes and the almost-drought I have lost so many plants and so much $$$ and my lawn looks crummy despite watering three times a week.

Xeriscaping does not have to mean cactus. I'm just looking for something that can live without being babied and fed a daily gallon of water. Who wants to be a slave to that?

I have not found anyone in town that claims to know how to do anything but a giant swath of grass with some crepe myrtles and a goofy looking line of bushes at the front of the house, though.
FlyRod
Fine, halibut. As the drought continues, and the so-called Aggiedome continues to keep rain at bay, a fun cactus local BCS gardeners might want to try is dragon fruit. Yes it's actually a cactus, and a fast growing one. It looks nice in a rock garden too. And you might get fruit if you're lucky.
waterchick
You sure about that?
https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/library/landscaping/xeriscape-landscape-water-conservation/

Xeriscape has 7 steps:
1. Planning & design < don't buy all the plants without knowing where they're going to go
2. Soil analysis and preparation < you cannot put "too much" organic matter in the soil here.
3. Practical turf areas < see? You can still have a lawn!
4. Appropriate plant selection < doesn't have to be cactus. Also steer clear of azaleas.
5. Efficient irrigation < don't water the street, don't flood the landscape
6. Use of mulch < keeps the soil cool, adds organic matter
7. Appropriate maintenance < pruning here and there

Zeroscape is cactus and rocks. Or, if you're in AZ or NM, it's Xeriscape if you follow the principles above.

A typical backyard swimming pool holds around 15,000 gallons. Residential irrigation systems will use between 3,000 and 8,000 gallons per cycle (maybe less, maybe more).

Edit: I linked the same info already posted here. Oops.

The Extension Service and our Master Gardener group have great resources. For plants that don't need much maintenance once established, check out the list of EarthKind plants.
EBrazosAg
AG
There is some Xeriscape H2O and some excessive use penalties……BTW I watched Wickson Creek leak enough water to form a 1 acre wetland for over a year on their interconnect with acquired water supplies in Grimes Co - all the while charging more for excessive use that was way less per user/ per month.

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/07/01/broken-pipe-shuts-down-parts-westbound-onramp-near-university-drive/
maroon barchetta
Oh, well that totally excuses your desire to grow a rainforest in your yard.
El_duderino
Why St Augustine is still used is beyond me. Should be Bermuda or xeriscape.
oklaunion
BCS went from 70% chance of getting 2-5" to, according the Shel, probably nada.
Except if you live in the eastern part of the Brazos Valley. You know, around Coldspring.
trouble
AG
But that wasn't the Aggiedome. That's was just the system in the Gulf shifting east. It happens.
FlyRod
Harvey effectively cracked the myth of the Aggiedome...or so it should have.
Nosmo
AG
Worked with a guy that grew up in Odessa.

When they moved to another house in town, the last thing they did was pick up the rocks in the yard, in a bunch of buckets for the new place.
bobinator
AG
Nah, the Aggiedome is like the shields on the Enterprise. It's mostly effective against your typical showers, but it can be overpowered at times by really strong systems.
maroon barchetta
When weather nerds and Trekkies collide.
Goose83
AG
trouble said:

But that wasn't the Aggiedome. That's was just the system in the Gulf shifting east. It happens.
Don't really care if it was the Dome or not, but this was the last good chance for run for the next two weeks (oh wait, there's a 20% chance next Saturday, get out the flood gear everyone). Not only are we getting whacked this summer with rising gas and electric bills, but water now as well.

Going to be a lot of dead trees and wrecked foundations before this is all over.
trouble
AG
It definitely sucks all around
histag10
AG
Looks like the dome will hold again.
Bunk Moreland
the damn system is just fanning out and disappearing right as it gets to us. noooooooooooo. half my yard is baked worse than Catherine's turkey at Christmas dinner.
histag10
AG
Here is a fun visual.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.