Casual but a little nicer restaurant in BCS

4,077 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tailgate88
frontesd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are looking for a casual but a little nicer restaurant in BCS to go with friends. Any thoughts?
Sleepnumber
AG
frontesd said:

We are looking for a casual but a little nicer restaurant in BCS to go with friends. Any thoughts?
Solt.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Urban Table
Casa do Brazil
Rail and Rye in Navasota
FlyRod
Amico Nave.

Ronin.
GSS
Gate 12
NRA Life
TSRA Life
halibut sinclair
Napa Flats
Caffe Capri
histag10
AG
Casa do Brazil
Amico Nave
Luigis
Napa Flats (though they have their highs and lows)
Ronin

I won't recommend SOLT or Gate 12. We had really bad experiences at both with food and service.
AgTrip
Gate 12 before dusk, and watch the planes. Nice place for dinner. Every time I've been there, I have had excellent food. The people we've brought with us love it too! Enjoy!
75AG
AG
Only problem is that place can get loud. Really loud.
phillytex24
Napa Flats! ...now that Cafe Eccell is gone in Northgate.
war hymn aggie
AG
Luigi's is nice.

Live background music in the evenings as well.

Check out restaurants.com for pricing discounts too.

Just curious, what makes Solt a good choice?

curry97
AG
AgTrip said:

Gate 12 before dusk, and watch the planes. Nice place for dinner. Every time I've been there, I have had excellent food. The people we've brought with us love it too! Enjoy!

This, and ask for one of the triplets to be your waiter.
maroon barchetta
phillytex24 said:

Napa Flats! ...now that Cafe Eccell is gone in Northgate.

That's been 10+ years.
maroon barchetta
histag10 said:

Casa do Brazil
Amico Nave
Luigis
Napa Flats (though they have their highs and lows)
Ronin

I won't recommend SOLT or Gate 12. We had really bad experiences at both with food and service.

We had Solt in our rotation but were mainly doing food to go. They kept screwing up the takeout orders. Three in a row and we were done. And one of those times they felt bad and gave us a gift card. We used it on our next order and I pulled everything out of the bag and checked it before I left, right in front of the hostess.

Wrong.

She had entered the order incorrectly. All three times.

I like Tai's food but I want what I ordered.
Gunner0740
At least you got to order. My wife and I sat for 40 minutes eating on our waitress to come take even our drink order. She kept bussing all the surrounding tables, ignoring us or my raised hand, and hiding in the kitchen. Finally left after 45 minutes after having only gotten to order a water. Worst service I've received in the 20 years I've been an adult. I had never walked out of a restaurant until then.
halibut sinclair
Gunner0740 said:

My wife and I sat for 40 minutes eating on our waitress
Zombies?
befitter
Gunner0740
*waiting
histag10
AG
Gunner0740 said:

At least you got to order. My wife and I sat for 40 minutes eating on our waitress to come take even our drink order. She kept bussing all the surrounding tables, ignoring us or my raised hand, and hiding in the kitchen. Finally left after 45 minutes after having only gotten to order a water. Worst service I've received in the 20 years I've been an adult. I had never walked out of a restaurant until then.

An hour and a half, and the manager made the waitress come apologize while she stood behind her. She had a large table and said she forgot she had other tables and had never worked a table larger than a 4 top. Not my problem. We had to go inside and get our own drinks because she never came out with menus or drinks after greeting us and taking drink orders. Manager took our order and took over our table. Then they burned my husband's food. We paid and left (yup- they didn't comp a damn thing (though she offered 1/2 off dessert despite us never gwtting my husbands order after sending it back) and I will let the world know how poorly run they are). Ended up going to Republic to salvage the night. Thankfully it was a night they weren't booked, and got us in. Had an amazing dinner there.
maroon barchetta
befitter said:

Their prices have increased on some items and if you dine in you better like dark and loud.
Tailgate88
AG
maroon barchetta said:

befitter said:

Their prices have increased on some items and if you dine in you better like dark and loud.
This. Great food but can't stand the atmosphere. Everyone is yelling over each other. They need to work on the acoustics in there big time.
maroon barchetta
Tailgate88 said:

maroon barchetta said:

befitter said:

This. Great food but can't stand the atmosphere. Everyone is yelling over each other. They need to work on the acoustics in there big time.

I picked up some good to go a couple weeks back. Our usual order includes the crab cakes entree.

Holy cow the price on those has gone up! I ordered over the phone as usual so was not using the online order system where I could see prices.

It is much higher than before.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Love 1860 (chicken parm with vodka sauce ftw) but they def need to work on that lighting.
histag10
AG
The price of everything has gone up so much. I'm a baker, and my ingredient cost is insane now. Some people are mad I have raised my prices, some understand.

Eggs, butter, and milk have all almost doubled in cost since 2020. Packaging for orders has also gone up an insane amount, even when buying in bulk
maroon barchetta
histag10 said:

The price of everything has gone up so much. I'm a baker, and my ingredient cost is insane now. Some people are mad I have raised my prices, some understand.

Eggs, butter, and milk have all almost doubled in cost since 2020. Packaging forwarders has also gone up an insane amount, even when buying in bulk

$18 for the crab cake appetizer is too much.

Listed as $36 on the menu for the entree and showing up on my receipt as $40 for the entree is just too much. If that's what they had to do then I understand but two crab cakes and some fried onions and arugula isn't worth $40.
halibut sinclair
Lump crab meat is over $30 for 16 oz. currently.
histag10
AG
I get it's expensive. But it's not out of line. Prices are horrible right now, and restaurants can't be expected to keep their prices low while inflation has sent everything else (including their ingredients) soaring.

ETA- $18 for a crab cake appetizer for 2 is actually not bad at all. Have you seen the prices at other restaurants?
techno-ag
AG
Every place has its share of bad service and prices are skyrocketing. I think even the free spending students may not be able to save some places in the months ahead.
FlyRod
Cooking skills are great to have right now.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
maroon barchetta said:

histag10 said:

Eggs, butter, and milk have all almost doubled in cost since 2020. Packaging forwarders has also gone up an insane amount, even when buying in bulk

$18 for the crab cake appetizer is too much.

Listed as $36 on the menu for the entree and showing up on my receipt as $40 for the entree is just too much. If that's what they had to do then I understand but two crab cakes and some fried onions and arugula isn't worth $40.
We were there on Saturday and had a great dinner. The bottle of wine we ordered was $5 more on the receipt than on the menu. They definitely need to update their prices on their menus.
woodiewood1
maroon barchetta said:

Tailgate88 said:

maroon barchetta said:

befitter said:

I picked up some good to go a couple weeks back. Our usual order includes the crab cakes entree.

Holy cow the price on those has gone up! I ordered over the phone as usual so was not using the online order system where I could see prices.

It is much higher than before.
Yep. I understand why prices have gone up but ,it's got to the point where a lot of the restaurants are just not worth it. Awful loud in there also. They need to spray some sound absorbing material on the open ceiling and place sound absorbent materials on some walls.
woodiewood1
FlyRod said:

Cooking skills are great to have right now.
Yep. I think for a lot of people we will see a return to cooking at home for a lot of people for most of their meals. Eating out to a nice restaurant will become a once a month trip rather than every weekend and a lunch a week.

For the busy people, crockpots will be used again.

cs69ag
AG
I think Napa Flats is consistently a good value when considering
atmosphere, service. low noise level, food quality and price.
Been there many times over several years and have referred numerous people there
from out of town with very favorabe feed back. They are sort of in their own niche.
Goose83
AG
Tailgate88
AG
cs69ag said:

I think Napa Flats is consistently a good value when considering
atmosphere, service. low noise level, food quality and price.
Been there many times over several years and have referred numerous people there
from out of town with very favorabe feed back. They are sort of in their own niche.

We love Napa, and owner Tom is a great guy! We were there the week they opened and have been back often since. Looking forward to a birthday dinner there in a few weeks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.