Fascia/Soffit/Roofing Advice

2,007 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by amanda04
amanda04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We live in an older home that presently has no soffit vents, no gable vents, and no ridge vents. We're about to have some roofing done and am curious about a couple of things.

-We need our fascia and soffit replaced as it is starting to rot. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone local to do this work? Should we have this done in tandem with the new roof, or is it fine to do the roof first and then replace all of that later?

-As mentioned, we have no attic ventilation. Our roofer wants to install a ridge vent and a solar attic fan. I'm afraid that won't pull enough fresh air in. Wouldn't we need to have soffit vents installed as well? Our bathroom fan also exhausts directly into the attic and we're thinking of getting that to directly vent outside. Any issues there?

Thoughts and previous homeownership woes are appreciated.
histag10
AG
Quote:

Our bathroom fan also exhausts directly into the attic and we're thinking of getting that to directly vent outside. Any issues there?

I thought they HAD to vent outside, and not just into the attic?
Abbyag06
When you have a new roof put on (we just did) they replace the drip edge that overlaps the fascia. I would do the fascia work first or at the same time so you don't mess up a brand new drip edge. I'm not sure what code is but the roofer should be able to put a vent all the way through the roof. Not sure who you have a quote from but we used State Roofing Company a couple months ago and they were fantastic. Less than a day and couldn't tell they were here except for a nice new roof.
UmustBKidding
Ridge vents are good but require sufficient soffits to supply them. Solar attic fans are not great(maintenance issue), and whirly birds about the same, but having them is not something you do if you have ridge vents. The fans will suck outside outside air in via the ridge vents since that is the only air source without soffits.
So in my estimation you should take anything from the roofer that is suggesting this as suspect. There are several good roofing contractors that post on the home improvement board that could give you their opinion, but will tell you the same thing.
Most local roofers (and yes only use a local roofer) are probably not going to do the other work but I believe the one that does is United Roofing and Siding, and they are sane.
Also JP76 (Jason) on here is a contractor and probably can do the other items but know his schedule is busy but at least could give you a reliable opinion
A few other threads, but there are a lot:
https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3123967
https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/2423298/last

amanda04
AG
histag10 said:

Quote:

Our bathroom fan also exhausts directly into the attic and we're thinking of getting that to directly vent outside. Any issues there?

I thought they HAD to vent outside, and not just into the attic?
They are supposed to. Ours was installed by a previous owner, so I'm not sure how they got around that. However, I was reading an older thread on Texags about someone who vented it outside and it increased their inside home temp, so was hoping there might be feedback on how all these things would work together for the greater good, instead of missing an aspect that would create havoc.
UmustBKidding
vents from conditioned to unconditioned spaces should have a backdraft damper in the circuit. Some fans have them built in the housing but most don't. My bath fans vent out the soffit not the roof.
Builder93
AG
With all that you have going on or not going on, you need a good builder who understands attic ventilation and insulation systems to look at your house. It's too much to ask on a forum.
amanda04
AG
Builder93 said:

With all that you have going on or not going on, you need a good builder who understands attic ventilation and insulation systems to look at your house. It's too much to ask on a forum.

I'm fine contacting a builder but I literally don't know who to ask, so if you have someone in mind, please drop their info.
maddiedou
AG
I may can help but it is depending where you are and how quick you are getting rood installed

979-eight two o -l87o
Text me when you have time
UmustBKidding
I don't know any builders (and I know a few dozen) that would undertake renovation work especially in this market. You need a remodeling or maintenance contractor. Gary posted below but, not sure what time he has available. Jason (JP76 jpp_76@hotmail.com ) I know is very busy but might have other recommendations. I think Builder93 personally volunteered to do an on premises inspection and quote by suggesting you don't purse forum suggestions. I do recommend you seek out someone to personally inspect and also solicit options on the home improvement forum.

FamousAgg
Are you living in my house too?
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Havnt read the whole thread but I will later tonight.

You can't just throw ridge and power vents on the roof unless you have multiple ridges and they are in the right place on the roof. Your roofer should make the appropriate calculations to find out how much ridge he needs and whether your house can accommodate it. I completely advise against ridge AND power vents. The power vents will suck the air from the ridge and not accomplish anything. He needs to pick one or the other. If you can't install enough ridge then you can go with static vents instead. Not a huge fan of any kind of powered vent unless I HAVE to use them. If you don't have adequate intake, you WILL SUCK CONDITIONED AIR THROUGH YOUR CEILING. While your attic will in fact be cool, it comes at a bit of a cost in terms of efficiency.

After all of that you need to address the INTAKE situation via soffit vents, or low purpose built eave vents.

Bathroom vent….yes, got tbeough the roof. A bath pro vent with a trap door is what you need. Metal if you can. Any roofing supply has this. I have bought them through ABC in college station and southern shingles. Your roofer will know what he needs.

Soffit and trim…do before or during the roof install. You can do it afterwards but if your roofer was sloppy with drip edge nails, then it's going to tear it up. Plus you can fix it before hand and paint to match so your color matched drip edge will look nice.
Nosmo
AG
What is a Ridge Vent, and When Is One Used?

Another reference on ridge and soffit vents (with a calculator).

Also beware to not mix gable vents with ridge vents.

Builders are notorious for installing ridge vents and not having enough soffit vent area.
Builder93
AG
amanda04 said:

Builder93 said:

I'm fine contacting a builder but I literally don't know who to ask, so if you have someone in mind, please drop their info.
I am in the commercial side now. I don't know many residential builders around here. I wish I could help.
TXCityGirl
Builders I have seen do renovation work
https://gerard-construction.com/
MagruderPorter
Borski Homes Inc. | Custom Home Builder | Bryan, TX & College Station, TX
JP76
Complete reroof ?

Who is the roofing contractor ?
Have you asked them about the fascia and soffit ?

It's best to replace the fascia before the roof or during the roof install. I like to do it before that way it doesn't hold up replacement of the roof. If you do it after it is a huge PITA because the drip edge usually gets nailed in top of the fascia board and will usually have to replace the drip edge due to damage. My preference is ridge vents, and if not enough LF of ridge then add these to the roof.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-60-sq-in-NFA-Aluminum-Slant-Back-Roof-Louver-Static-Vent-in-Black-SSB960ABL/100041904

Up until around the late 90's in BCS you could still vent bath fans directly into the attic. Then code changed where they have to terminate to the outside. I've been in 100's of attics and have seen many terminate in for 20 plus years and have never seen a humidity or mold issue from this. If the house has ridge vents and it is raining outside then the entire attic is being filled with 100% humidity air. Now up north maybe it could cause a problem but I just have never seen it in BCS. My preference is to terminate them to the soffit and not make another penetration into the roof. I dislike powered fans because one they run nonstop and too they will pull conditioned air past the ceiling fixture boxes and around hvac registers especially if there isn't enough soffit venting. Also the 110 powered ones will run 12-18 hours a day in the summer and usually pull from 5-7 amps. They all eventually burn up from the heat usually around 3-5 years of age. I've never seen a solar powered fan last more than 5 years and not burn up. The ones I have removed usually have degraded panels and or motors and just barely spin under full sun after 3-5 years.

amanda04
AG
JP,

I sent an email to the address someone dropped earlier in the thread with some additional information. If that's not the correct email, let me know!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.