Amazon drone delivery looking at College Station

5,178 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by EliteElectric
kraut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Amazon Drone delivery in College Station

Quote:

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (KBTX) - A new Amazon delivery service could be coming to College Station.

Amazon presented a proposal to the planning and zoning commission on Thursday, who approved a change to the R&D Research and Development property located at 400 Technology Pkwy. This would allow a small-scale aerial distribution center to be built if approved by City Council.

With Amazon Prime, customers are familiar with seeing deliveries within a day. With Amazon Prime Air, customers can expect a package delivery via drone within 30 minutes of ordering.

According to Amazon, customers will place an order as they normally would and receive an estimated arrival time with a status tracker for their order. For these deliveries, the drone will fly to the designated delivery location, descend to the customer's backyard, and hover at a safe height. It will then safely release the package and rise back up to altitude.

What could possibly go wrong?

threecatcorner
Packages will not possibly land on anyone, in a pool, break before you ever get it, wind up at your neighbor's house by mistake, etc
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Cool
techno-ag
AG
Saw that on the news. This is really excellent news and it's exciting that A&M is on the cutting edge here.
maroon barchetta
https://tees.tamu.edu/fiscal/property/drones.html

Better check the rules if you want a delivery on campus
Tailgate88
AG
I'm going to order some dog treats. Fetch it up boy!!

75AG
AG
threecatcorner said:

Packages will not possibly land on anyone, in a pool, break before you ever get it, wind up at your neighbor's house by mistake, etc
Sort of like the current USPS
BCS-Ag
This is awesome...I've seen a demo.
EliteElectric
I sat through a presentation on this a few years ago, they called it the "hive" and said they would be rolling it out in 5 years, I guess it's still on schedule.
Flatlander
So many potential things that could go wrong with this sort of technology....

Still likely to be more reliable than USPS.
DR. WONG
This is already happening in Texas. Wing (Alphabet) has been delivering by drone in partnership with Walgreens in two north Texas cities since April. Flytrex has a partnership with Brinker International to deliver food from its restaurants in Granbury. Walmart is getting ready to launch in Texas and has been testing in Arkansas for a while. Amazon is woefully behind in the drone delivery business.
techno-ag
AG
TAMU-CC has been on the forefront of a lot of this.
Hornbeck
Skeet shooting with prizes!
91_Aggie
AG
Love the part where a parent trotted out their kid with a script to get sympathy to prevent this from going in their "backyard".
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
DR. WONG
The Lone Star UAS folks in Corpus don't have much to do with what we are currently seeing in drone delivery. What we are seeing is almost exclusively private sector driven and very secretive. TAMU-CC gets a lot of state money and have an FAA test site from an earlier FAA program but they have largely been passed up by newer programs and partnerships.
Stupe
S
What is the penalty for doing something down that flys over my yard without permission?
75AG
AG
Take a shot at a plane and find out
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Stupe said:

What is the penalty for doing something down that flys over my yard without permission?
You don't own the air above your yard. Good luck.
wareagle044
what about Bryan?
Scruffy
AG
coleasterling said:

Stupe said:

Actually you do.
Just above a level there is an easement for aircraft to fly.
maroon barchetta
Tailgate88 said:

I'm going to order some dog treats. Fetch it up boy!!

That dog will probably eat the drone.
nought
AG
I wish some people would not be so negative about this. It has the potential to be transformative. Imagine if this existed during the peak of covid, and you could have sent Grandma some groceries or something without any contact.

Drones buzz, but they aren't much louder than a mosquito buzzing around your ear when you're trying to sleep at night. And, it's not like they are going to be buzzing low by other houses. I imagine they would fly high, and then vertically lower right on target to the house of choice.

For the greenies out there, which I am not, this is a lot more environmentally friendly than some card or truck driving around delivering packages.

And for all of us, this is a lot more reliable than the gamble that we take with various drivers delivering packages who know where. And, for the most part, this would avoid porch pirates.

If they try it and it doesn't work out, no problem, we can get rid of it or just not use the service. But, let's not be negative Nancy's and kill it before a good thing might happen.

All opinions above are my own, and anything that is wrong is the result of bad voice transcription.
cslifer
Those drones are governed by the FAA. If you are not a fan of federal prison I wouldn't shoot at one.
techno-ag
AG
nought said:

I wish some people would not be so negative about this. It has the potential to be transformative. Imagine if this existed during the peak of covid, and you could have sent Grandma some groceries or something without any contact.

Drones buzz, but they aren't much louder than a mosquito buzzing around your ear when you're trying to sleep at night. And, it's not like they are going to be buzzing low by other houses. I imagine they would fly high, and then vertically lower right on target to the house of choice.

For the greenies out there, which I am not, this is a lot more environmentally friendly than some card or truck driving around delivering packages.

And for all of us, this is a lot more reliable than the gamble that we take with various drivers delivering packages who know where. And, for the most part, this would avoid porch pirates.

If they try it and it doesn't work out, no problem, we can get rid of it or just not use the service. But, let's not be negative Nancy's and kill it before a good thing might happen.

All opinions above are my own, and anything that is wrong is the result of bad voice transcription.
Amen. Too much negativity. Drone deliveries are the future, and it's good to be part of it.
91_Aggie
AG
I, for one, welcome our new Drone Overlords!
IWannaGoFast1
AG
That's true. I was just speaking in practical terms.
FlyRod
Great news. Hopefully not too many will be shot at/shot down by local drunken hillbillies.
Stupe
S
coleasterling said:

Stupe said:

At what height?

AgResearch
AG
City will probably require the drones to be painted maroon.
studioone

So if a drone actually TOUCHES down on my yard, can I shoot it?

I hate technology..
Old Ag 74
AG
91_Aggie said:

I, for one, welcome our new Drone Overlords!
I hear the network system they use is something called "Skynet"?

befitter
Oh good. Now we can have drones flying all around our homes and yards. How about No.
trouble
AG
Hell, I'd have loved it last week when we were all sick (not covid) and out of cough medicine, easy things for the kids to eat, and toilet paper.
maroon barchetta
trouble said:

Hell, I'd have loved it last week when we were all sick (not covid) and out of cough medicine, easy things for the kids to eat, and toilet paper.

What size drone can deliver a 12 pack of Charmin?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.