Town Hall - Bryan Water Tower - Thursday June 16th

3,535 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by outlaw08
outlaw08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is going to be a town hall tomorrow, the 16th, at 7pm regarding the water tower being built in the Edgewater Community between Villa Maria and Leonard road off chick lane.

Meeting will be in the fire house off Villa Maria near Mary Branch Elementary.
Animal Eight 84
AG
what is the desired outcome of the meeting?
toolshed
AG
To find a catch phrase to one up College Station's "Heart of Aggieland"!
ratfacemcdougal
"The Heart of Brazos Valley"
BluHorseShu
AG
toolshed said:

To find a catch phrase to one up College Station's "Heart of Aggieland"!
"The Hippocampus of Aggieland"
outlaw08
AG
Hoping to get them to move the water tower from a residential area to a industrial area instead
cslifer
What is your proposed location?
Builder93
AG
"Downtown Aggieland"
outlaw08
AG
Corner of 47 and Leonard, where the BISD bus barn is moving to, and they have confirmed they have enough land available for it as well.
techno-ag
AG
"Extra. Special. Goodness."
duffelpud
AG
"Save P. David"
"What's this button do?"
UmustBKidding
Typically space not issue elevation is. They try to pick the highest point in an area. Every foot lower is a foot you have to add to tower and lots of $ per foot
outlaw08
AG
The industrial area meets the criteria the city put forward.

A 195' water tower in a residential area is not ideal due to the noise and issues it presents if something were to happen.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
But water towers are just sooo ugly and they fall down constantly...
Builder93
AG
"Save Ferris"
TellMeMore
+1 Save p david.
Remembering all that was bad and stupid about the CITY to the South
outlaw08
AG
We just would like to put it somewhere other than a residential neighborhood if it's gonna be 195' tall. The pumps needed to get water up that high aren't silent, and run as needed.
wareagle044
Put one on Old Reliance/6 and create Rudder Pointe to compete with Tower Pointe water tower
bcstx06
wareagle044 said:

Put one on Old Reliance/6 and create Rudder Pointe to compete with Tower Pointe water tower

I was think that, but at HW47 and Lenard Rd. Could you imagine an entire development there revolving around a water tower? Where do they do that at?
turfman80
AG
It will go where the developers, realtors, and city official beneficiaries want it to go.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
ReelAg6
outlaw08 said:

Hoping to get them to move the water tower from a residential area to a industrial area instead
The NIMBY's don't even like water towers now?
bcstx06
ReelAg6 said:

outlaw08 said:

I have never liked water towers. Have always thought they were "country" looking since you don't usually see them in big cities.

I hope it brings much needed retail development to the West side of Bryan.
BiochemAg97
AG
bcstx06 said:

ReelAg6 said:

outlaw08 said:

I have never liked water towers. Have always thought they were "country" looking since you don't usually see them in big cities.

I hope it brings much needed retail development to the West side of Bryan.

Big cities usually have tall buildings with water tanks on top. Same thing. Oh, and since the water tanks are on top of condos too, it is essentially a water tower in a residential area.
outlaw08
AG
It's going to be 195' tall tower in a neighborhood full of 1 and 2 story houses. So gonna stick out like a sore thumb.

The mayor and City Councilman for the district showed up and had a nice conversation with them. They heard our frustrations for lack of notice and not notifying those who are in county but across the street from this proposed site.

The alternative site was discussed and they are going to give it a look to see if it will meet the criteria.

I don't foresee them changing it, but would be nice if they did.
trouble
AG
You'll be shocked how much you don't even notice it. There was one at the front of my hood in gtown and I can't remember a single complaint about it the entire 14 years I lived there. And those people complained about everything
outlaw08
AG
I'm mostly worried it's gonna make it harder to sell my house one day due to it being an eyesore.

Don't really care too much about it otherwise.

The city only notifying those who were within 200' of the land and inside city limits when it's across the street from a house in the county is the real rub for most of us. City bought the land in 2018 with the intention of a water tower but didn't rezone it for such until 2022, many of us bought in the area and had no idea it was even on the horizon.
ro828
I'm mystified by the noise made by water towers. Maybe the wind blowing at the right speed could cause a hum.. Hey, my family only lived across the street from a water tower in Brenham from 1952 to 1999..

Get over it, Karen. It's disappointing that people from Bryan would be fussing. I'd expect that from those dainty souls in College Station.
trouble
AG
You could literally see it from my front yard and it did nothing to hurt property values.
outlaw08
AG
We aren't against the tower, just think there is a better location for it in an industrial area about 2-3 miles down the road.
Hornbeck
New catchphrase: "Bryan. At least we're not Hearne."
cslifer
The city already owns the land, and it already has the appropriate infrastructure (not cheap). Do you really think the rest of the citizens of Bryan should foot the bill for a new site plus infrastructure just so it isn't in your backyard?
GSS
outlaw08 said:

Corner of 47 and Leonard, where the BISD bus barn is moving to, and they have confirmed they have enough land available for it as well.
Did you learn the BISD land is not at Hwy 47 and Leonard Rd?
(It's at 2818 and Leonard Rd)
NRA Life
TSRA Life
outlaw08
AG
The other site meets the same criteria. Is already owned by BISD, and is along the same infrastructure as our neighborhood.

So yes, yes I do think it would be a much wiser move by the city to move it.

The city could then sell the land or do what it was originally zoned for and put in a park.
outlaw08
AG
Thanks, no, it was said to be 47 and Leonard last night in meeting or at least that's what I heard but there was 30+ people there so not always easy to understand everything.

The site is supposed to be an even better elevation for the proposed tower, so they are gonna evaluate it and work with BISD about obtaining the needed land.
philothea
The BISD 'bus barn' is going at 2818 and Leonard which was the Blinn property they sold to BISD.

47 and Leonard is next the Expo center, plus there is new housing going in on Jones on the other side of the expo (Alamosa Springs for one plus other developments along Jones between Leonard and Villa Maria) and there is existing housing between Higgs and 47.

So you don't want it in your backyard but will put it other people's backyard no problem? They would have the same argument about buying in Alamosa Springs not knowing a water tower will go close to there. And just because the Higgs neighborhood is more lower cost housing they should have the tower?

I am thinking they meant 2818 and Leonard since the elevation is higher there then 47 and Leonard (almost 75 ft). Of course the relatively new Apartment complex at 2818 and Leonard would have a new view.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.