Rain barrel/cistern purchase and installation

1,510 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FamousAgg
motherrunnersBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any ideas locally? Large stainless steel would be preferable. My plants prefer rainwater instead of College Station water.
duffelpud
AG
I buy blue plastic 55gal drums from Slovacek's in Snook and wash them out. You can purchase through-hull fittings on Amazon and plumb it with regular pipe from Homeless Depot or Lowe's.
"What's this button do?"
studioone
motherrunnersBCS said:

Any ideas locally? Large stainless steel would be preferable. My plants prefer rainwater instead of College Station water.

what kind of plants do you have?

I raise Venus flytraps, sundews and picture plants, and their pots all sit in trays of water... and it'd death if I use tap water... so I have about 3 trash cans, 10-15 cat litter boxes and some tubs that sit out on our porch and catch rainwater.... im about 1/2 empty now cause of the heat and its only 2 weeks into June... I go through a kitty litter box each day...

I am about to install an RODI system and start using that... gotta do what you gotta do...
motherrunnersBCS
Succulants, herbs and tomatoes.
1990Hullaballoo
AG
Maybe find one of those dairies going out of business. They have large stainless tanks.
Marlin39m
duffelpud said:

I buy blue plastic 55gal drums from Slovacek's in Snook and wash them out. You can purchase through-hull fittings on Amazon and plumb it with regular pipe from Homeless Depot or Lowe's.

You can also get plastic drums at Coop or Tractor Supply. Be sure that you use some type of heavy duty screen over the top like expanded metal. Coons and other critters can get in and drown. Discovered this when helping an elderly relative with hers. I get stomach heaves just from the memory of handling that.
chickencoupe16
AG
We run a portable dehumidifier in the house and in the summer, I probably empty 3-4 gallons a day. My old roommate used it for his succulents and other weird plants. If you already have a dehumidifier, you could look into using its condensate. If you were really committed, you could look into using the condensate from your AC. I don't know if either would be enough for your needs, but they aren't dependent on rainfall either.
FlyRod
Isn't gypsum supposed to counter-act the nasty effects of our tap water on plants?
tamufan
What is this 'rain' you speak of?
motherrunnersBCS
Yep. Would have been nice to have more than the 50 gallons I collected back in early May.
FamousAgg
duffelpud said:

What is the cost on these, and would I just need to call and enquire at the Slovacek's to make a purchase?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.