Dumped Suddenlink today!

13,109 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 91_Aggie
CN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A few months ago Suddenlink raised my bill $40 and it took me a couple of months to notice it. I called to do my annual dance of lowering my bill back down and they hemmed and hawed about why the prices went up. I told them fiber is being rolled out in my neighborhood and in 2 months, I and probably everyone around me will make the switch as Frontier's prices are much lower. They said the best they could do is to raise the price to "just" $20. I told them first chance I get I'm bolting.

I got Frontier fiber installed today and finally got to make the satisfying call to cancel Suddenlink. They tried offering me all sorts of deals and free months but I said nope, I'm done with you guys.
First Down and Twelve
Post back when they tell you about "our policy" (that they have yet to provide me a written copy of, or of any documentation that I agreed to that "policy") that requires them to charge you for another full billing period if you gave them notice any less than a complete 30 days advance notice of cancellation.
MemphisAg1
AG
Good move OP. I cut the SL cord a few months ago and went to streaming. Saving a bunch of money and have more options.

Lol, SL sent an invitation in the mail today to rejoin them for a steep discount. No thanks. And if you were going to offer me a discount, why not during the multiple calls I made while I was still a customer asking for a better rate? Good riddance.
ezmoney
AG
Is this just internet or cable tv as well?
scd88
AG
How does one know if Frontier is available on my street? And, if not, has anyone had any luck figuring out when it will be available?
Alte Schule
Make sure you video returning their equipment to their outside box. They will not accept it inside. Prior to going to Fronteir I heard that they were scamming people claiming that their cable /equipment box was not turned in. Tried that with me and I had the video. Their scammers and thieves,
TLIAC
AG
Frontier just started digging on our block. Can't wait.
purplehayes
They WILL accept equipment inside and will write out an equipment return statement with serial numbers if you stand there and eff with them long enough.
doubledog
Alte Schule said:

Make sure you video returning their equipment to their outside box. They will not accept it inside. Prior to going to Fronteir I heard that they were scamming people claiming that their cable /equipment box was not turned in. Tried that with me and I had the video. They're scammers and thieves,
Send the equipment FedEx (even though suddenlink has a dropbox)

I was told, by a wise master, to send the equipment by FedEX, even though suddenlink drop box is here in town. I sent the equipment by FEDEX (at least suddenlink provided a "free" shipping). A month later I received a bill for $300 for equipment that was not returned. I called and then emailed a copy of the shipping documents, and photos that proved the equipment was shipped, received and signed for by Suddenlink. They dropped the charges, with no hint of an apology.
CN
First Down and Twelve said:

Post back when they tell you about "our policy" (that they have yet to provide me a written copy of, or of any documentation that I agreed to that "policy") that requires them to charge you for another full billing period if you gave them notice any less than a complete 30 days advance notice of cancellation.
They told me my billing cycle ends next week so I didn't sweat it but yeah, if I had done this at the beginning and they pulled that on me I would've been ticked.
CN
ezmoney said:

Is this just internet or cable tv as well?
Internet only. If you want live TV channels, you'll need to sign up with YouTube TV, Hulu + Live TV or some other streaming TV service. YouTube TV is discounted to $55/month the first year which is what I went with. You'll also need a streaming device like a Roku, Apple TV, or a TV with a built in player.
CN
MemphisAg1 said:

And if you were going to offer me a discount, why not during the multiple calls I made while I was still a customer asking for a better rate? Good riddance.
That's exactly what I told them. I said if you guys would've just given me a better deal 2 months ago we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

If you're not near the end of your billing cycle, here's what I would do. Call them to cancel and tell them you've switched to Frontier even if Frontier isn't available to you yet. They'll offer you all sorts of deals. Play hardball and don't worry about them calling your bluff and canceling your service. They won't actually disconnect you until the end of the billing cycle and you can always call back later and cancel the disconnect.
CN
One thing I wished I would've done was be better prepared for the fiber installation. For me they reused the coax that went into my house. They put their box right next to the existing coax box. But they also need power which I knew but figured their solution would be much more elegant than the one I got. I have an exterior breaker box near there and I wish I would've hired an electrician to setup an outlet from there. Instead, they had to run power cable several feet around the corner of my house then through the walls into my office so that they could access a power outlet.

So if you're going to do it, really think about how their equipment is supposed to get power from the exterior of your house or else you might not like their solution. I'm probably going to hire an electrician and get this cleaned up.
jskin261
Do they need 120v or POE?
ezmoney
AG
Thanks for the info.
CN
jskin261 said:

Do they need 120v or POE?
They plugged into a 120V outlet in my office. I don't know if they could've used POE which I could've provided for them had I thought to ask.
CDub06
AG
Suddenlink is the worst company I've ever had the displeasure of having to work with. I'm so glad I have other options now.
woodiewood1
Waiting for fiber options here. Now if we can have options for our electricity......
bobinator
AG
This is what I said a while back also. The one thing I wasn't ready for was the decision on where to put the box. But I'm three months in and everything has been great.

Suddenlink also tried the "didn't turn in equipment" thing also so I'm fighting with them about it. Wish I'd have made them write me a receipt.
Eliminatus
AG
First Down and Twelve said:

Just found this out myself. They are going to get another full months pay out of me. I tried to talk my way out of it but the employee I was talking to was having none of it.

I f'ing despise the IP business model but even within that cesspool of a framework, Suddenlink is especially awful. Scum business.
threecatcorner
If you want suddenlink to give you a better rate, ask for the retention department.It still exists, but unless you ask for that department by name, most of the people on the customer service won't bother to transfer you to them even if you threaten to cancel.
CN
threecatcorner said:

If you want suddenlink to give you a better rate, ask for the retention department.It still exists, but unless you ask for that department by name, most of the people on the customer service won't bother to transfer you to them even if you threaten to cancel.
I made it to retention pretty easily but first level. I made it very clear that I just had my new service installed and that the installer had already unplugged my Suddenlink cable. I got put on hold for 5 minutes waiting for a "manager" who had the power to cancel my service and that's who ultimately threw offers at me to stay.
MemphisAg1
AG
threecatcorner said:

Lol, I tried that. Got transferred to 5 different people. The first couple times they hung up on me when they learned I wanted to cut my TV and only keep internet.

Then they mysteriously had systems issues. One promised to call me back and never did. The next time the person said their computer froze.

It was only on the 5th time and after a long, brass knuckles conversation that I got them to drop the TV and keep the internet at a somewhat reasonable rate.

So 5 calls to SL and 5 different people each time... I literally talked to 25 different people to change my service. Two and a half hours total.

Awful, awful experience. SL truly sucks.
BCSWguru
I think when I go, Im just going to stop paying them.
UmustBKidding
Unfortunately frontier is just as bad in this respect. Canceled my DSL when I got Fiber and called to disconnect on the final day of the billing cycle. They charged another month. Told I canceled on last day. They said yes you did but we did not post the order till the next day. Why? We don't know but can't do anything about it. Of course they also said did not return modem, but did and had ups tracking and receipt they received. Yep we see it was delivered but shows we did not receive. OK charge me for it I ain't paying.
Psychag
AG
I'm going to call SL internet because I bought a new modem. I hope it's not a hassle.
CN
Yes, I've read that Frontier customer service sucks too. However, at least we have competition with a potential third player (Metronet) in the game.
dave99ag
AG
Canceled SL today after getting Frontier installed on Friday. Call lasted about 17 minutes. First person was frontline CSR and offered $69 for 1 gig and maybe a month free. Second person was with "Customer Loyalty" offered $49.99 and 3 months free. Said they were looking into installing fiber to have competitive uploads to Frontier. Pushed some deal they have with T-Mobile. They weren't too pushy and just reading the script given to them. Luckily I've always owned my own modem, so no dealing with them screwing me on equipment returns.

I'll gladly entertain returning to SL from Frontier if and when they have competitive speeds and pricing. I never had service issues (internet only), so this was mostly a cost savings and spite cancellation.
Rexter
TLIAC said:

Frontier just started digging on our block. Can't wait.

Lantel rep told me today that it should be the end of July for service hookup.
Mister Shipwreck
Alte Schule said:

Make sure you video returning their equipment to their outside box. They will not accept it inside. Prior to going to Fronteir I heard that they were scamming people claiming that their cable /equipment box was not turned in. Tried that with me and I had the video. Their scammers and thieves,
Yes, do this.
CalvinG10
AG
Does anyone know when Frontier will be available in Castlegate?
farmerJohnny
I got my internet bill $20 bump today.
I hate Suddenlink with a passion. Did anyone get their "lifetime price guarantee"? I am not seeing that advertised anymore, but I am willing to pay a little more as long as I know that the bill is not going up randomly every few months.
histag10
AG
3 years later and I periodically get calls from debt collectors saying we owe over 1k for equipment not returned. Call suddenlink, they review calls confirming they received equipment, but it apparently got lost in their warehouse and they can't find it. They say they will fix it. Then about 6 months later I get a new call from a new collector.

It's fun....
histag10
AG
Alte Schule said:

Yeah. Still dealing with them with this issue. Thankfully, I called the next morning and had someone confirm (on a recorded line) that they received all the equipment. And I had the state of mind to mark that date on my calendar in case I needed it.
Eliminatus
AG
histag10 said:

Alte Schule said:

Yeah. Still dealing with them with this issue. Thankfully, I called the next morning and had someone confirm (on a recorded line) that they received all the equipment. And I had the state of mind to mark that date on my calendar in case I needed it.

When I cancelled about a month ago, it took about ten minutes off me to convince them that I had not in fact, ever used their equipment. They kept telling me I needed to return it, which I kept replying I had never for a single second even had Suddenlink equipment in my home. She finally read the right page I guess on her computer and told me I had not used their equipment and I do not need to worry about returning anything. Like the previous ten minutes of arguing had never happened. I saw red for a few seconds. If anything she sounded disappointed.

I'm getting mad just remembering it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.