Where to meet singles?

6,642 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by HWY6_RunsBothWays
Aggiewoman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm nearing 40 and a single mom. Where would I go in this town to meet someone for dating? I'm a nerd and an overthinker. I can't date someone who doesn't speak in proper grammar. I need an intelligent person. Does that exist in B/CS at my age?

[We will be watching this thread and any poster that is disrespectful or trolls this thread will get a permanent ban. There is the only warning that will be given on this thread. -Staff]
maroon barchetta
Aggiewoman said:

I'm nearing 40 and a single mom. Where would I go in this town to meet someone for dating? I'm a nerd and an overthinker. I can't date someone who doesn't speak in proper grammar. I need an intelligent person. Does that exist in B/CS at my age?

I'm not sure it exists in America.
techno-ag
AG
We went to a ceremony couple months ago for a couple who met at the singles class at one of the big churches. I'd say try one of the churches.
91_Aggie
AG
Online dating, no matter the stigma you think attached to it, is likely your best bet these days to meet someone who meets your criteria.
ChampsAg
agree with singles ministry at church of your choice

i used eharmony 12 years ago to help my now wife find me.
Aggiewoman
AG
I'm a member of a church. No luck so far.
techno-ag
AG
Nothing wrong with visiting a different one.
ChampsAg
Brazos County A&M Club has a mixer this Thursday I believe. They also have multiple sports teams and looking for players.

not that time of year yet, but tailgates with friends always seem to be good meeting places.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Church, weddings, and online apps.

Not a thing wrong w online apps especially the once geared to more mature users . Good luck op!
BCSWguru
15 years ago, the general board was good for this. not sure if thats still the case.
cj774
AG
BCS is great to grow up in, to go to college in and to be married and raising a family. Being single out of college? Not so much. Been there that's why I got a job in Houston and left right after undergrad and then found my wife here about 10 years later in Houston right under my nose.

I agree with what others have said. Church singles groups, sports club teams, and online dating seem to be the way to go these days from what I know from my single friends.
texasaggie2015
AG
Quote:

Being single out of college? Not so much.
This. It was one of the reasons I made the move to Houston. Now I'm about to be 30 and still single so maybe it was a me problem... haha
Jinx
Not sure what classification of nerd you are, but there used to be a board game meet up in Downtown Bryan. Bit older crowd than Clockwork.
mtec
Online dating apps are your best bet for weeding people out ahead of time. It's much more widely accepted these days and there are a lot of people in the pool to choose from! Just be careful. You'd be amazed how much information you can find on someone in advance online with their phone number and/or a first and last name. I suggest a coffee date for the first meet up. Low cost and time investment to test the waters.
Trucker 96
Exactly this. Online and the small time investment screening date. It's become the norm vs the exception. Far fewer folks under 50 are going to church these days, so limiting yourself to in person options like this really restricts the pool
PS3D
91_Aggie said:

Online dating, no matter the stigma you think attached to it, is likely your best bet these days to meet someone who meets your criteria.

I think in OP's case, the stigma of being a single mother far outweighs anything that online dating has.
Mister Shipwreck
ChampsAg said:

agree with singles ministry at church of your choice

i used eharmony 12 years ago to help my now wife find me.

Yes, I just got married and met my wife on Eharmony over 5 years ago
UglyScientist
My husband and I met on tinder 8 years ago. We were both 30 and it was challenging finding people not online who weren't 20-24. Not that tinder had a lot of winners either, but at least I found one halfway decent person!
Ag97
AG
Expand your network. If you are a stay at home type that doesn't socialize in organizations or activities your going to have a tough go of it unless you do the online option. If your life revolves around your kid/s get them involved in as much as possible with different activities. If your get involved in those same activities on the parent side, your network expands along with them.

Hanging out at the bar like I did to find my wife probably isn't your best option with kids. Good luck. When I gave up worrying about trying to find a woman in my late 20's in College Station and just started living my life concentrating on my own happiness instead of thinking I needed a woman to complete my life is when it happened for me. Worked that way for a few of my friends as well.
MiMi
S
At 26-yrs-old, I moved to College Station from upstate New York to join the faculty at TAMU. This was the very early 1990's, when the internet looked very different than it is now. I did not know anyone in the state of Texas except those I met during the interview process. I was definitely not looking for a workplace relationship, or even with anyone in my career field. I did have a couple of interests/hobbies and I sought out activities/groups related to them. I joined one group that was very active in one of my interest areas and met some great new friends, one of which is now my husband. From that group, there were at least four other marriages around the same time as mine.

I don't have any other advice except what others have already said. If online dating isn't your thing, then seek out activities, that may or may not involve your child(ren), that will expand your social circle.
BCStalk
I guess the hall of fame is no longer a choice. Do you have any hobbies or interest that could possibly help us make suggestions? There are places locally I imagine, but it really depends on what you enjoy doing.
tgivaughn
AG
Hall O Fame GONE with the wind .................
Other places too young and column in the way of dance traffic

BJ's eat at the bar
Better
Sign up for dance lessons - some do not require a partner - make friends, get referrals, whole new social life appears

Good lookers in choirs always get a pass sooner or later

Join a sport, get lessons be a member got friends of mine married
IMHO and am sticking to it
birdman
I see plenty of single parents at every school function I go to.
EliteElectric
I would also add, that in addition to church and kids sports/activities I see a lot of single parents at BCS chamber events (after hours, ribbon cuttings, socials etc). First Fridays in DTB are also nice casual mixers.

HTH
FlyRod
Social/political groups are often great places to meet too, esp if you're looking for like-minded people who share your social/political interests.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread so all good luck to you!
Hornbeck
I met my wife 16 years ago on Yahoo dating (precursor to match.com). I'm a bit older than her and she was a grad student at the time. I understand your frustration with the grammar. I don't speak text either.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Not sure about your income level, but I'd also suggest hiring a professional match maker. I've seen some of my clients have success with going that route.
maroon barchetta
vmiaptetr said:

Not sure about your income level, but I'd also suggest hiring a professional match maker. I've seen some of my clients have success with going that route.

That's a thing?

Like "It's Just Lunch" or something?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Honestly, I don't know how the process works. Everyone that I know who has used it would be considered a "high net worth" individual. The main reasons I have heard from them about using a professional match maker is:

1. Because of their workload, they don't have time to look for someone. They hire the matchmaker to do the vetting for them.

2. They want someone with a similar income level as them.
satexas
AG
Apps :

1, Bumble (girls have to message the guys to initiate contact even after they hit 'like', gives the girls control and keeps the bots/spammers to an absolute excellent minimum)

2. Hinge

I don't recommend Tinder because Tinder has really mostly become the "hey, let's ____" app, most intended for "adult hookups".

Even if you feel this is a weird way to get things going, or aren't used to technology - welcome to 2022. Unless you want to troll generally low-end quality people in bars and go to dance clubs - this is the best way to find nice/average people who just don't want to be in bars/clubs or churches. In the bigger cities you can join social clubs that do meetups at organized events/places, but I don't think they have those in Aggieland (too small).

Load up Bumble and Hinge, do the profiles and be surprised.
Gonna have to flush the toilet, but that's one expensive poo.
sallyfc
mtec said:

Online dating apps are your best bet for weeding people out ahead of time. It's much more widely accepted these days and there are a lot of people in the pool to choose from! Just be careful. You'd be amazed how much information you can find on someone in advance online with their phone number and/or a first and last name. I suggest a coffee date for the first meet up. Low cost and time investment to test the waters.

Approaching 40 as a single mom in B/CS might feel daunting, but fear not! Your unique qualities as a nerd and overthinker are assets. Embrace your intellect and refine your search on platforms like luvfree.com, where like-minded individuals appreciate proper grammar and intelligent conversations. Attend local events, join hobby groups, or explore book clubs places where your interests align. The vibrant community in B/CS likely harbors someone who appreciates your intellect and values. Remember, the journey to love is as unique as you are, and the right person might be just a click away on luvfree.com, ready to share meaningful conversations and laughter.
Thanks for the information!
Threetoedcoyote
satexas said:

Apps :

1, Bumble (girls have to message the guys to initiate contact even after they hit 'like', gives the girls control and keeps the bots/spammers to an absolute excellent minimum)

2. Hinge

I don't recommend Tinder because Tinder has really mostly become the "hey, let's ____" app, most intended for "adult hookups".

Even if you feel this is a weird way to get things going, or aren't used to technology - welcome to 2022. Unless you want to troll generally low-end quality people in bars and go to dance clubs - this is the best way to find nice/average people who just don't want to be in bars/clubs or churches. In the bigger cities you can join social clubs that do meetups at organized events/places, but I don't think they have those in Aggieland (too small).

Load up Bumble and Hinge, do the profiles and be surprised.
Tinder hasn't "become" that. Tinder started out that way, it was 100% started as a pure hook up app. Tinder evolved into more of a dating app later but it still has a lot of the hook up seekers on it, but it is nothing like it was before the media discovered it.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
There are a few "nerds" at events at Clockwork Games on Harvey.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.