Fire ant treatment for lawn

2,490 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by KALALL
mhnatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What says the experienced folk here for fire ant control on the lawn?
tbone94
AG
Top Choice Mike! We guarantee for a whole year! Let me know if you want more info! TS
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Order some talstar from domyown.com

https://www.domyown.com/talstar-xtra-granular-insecticide-p-1434.html
Temple Ag
I had a friend who has a PhD in entomology.

To quote him:

"In the year 2020, there is no product that you cannot buy that I can. Anyone can be there own exterminator for a fraction of the cost that I charge".

I have been doing it for myself for years using the website above. It costs a fraction of the price that I used to pay and I have absolutely no bug problems.
mhnatt
From reading the reviews on Talstar, it doesn't last long. I thought I heard about a once-per-year fire ant specific product?
JP76
Chlordane

I'm 1980 my dad sprayed the yard with it. Didn't see any alive bugs for over 3 years in the yard.

It was banned i think In 83 because of the long half life and toxicity to humans and fish

Present day I use this

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Spectracide-Triazicide-For-Lawns-Granules-20-lb-Insect-Killer/5001952515

Downside is it only last about 3 months

ShinerBlonde
AG
We use Josh with Silk Venom. I don't know what he puts on the yard but we have zero ants.
EliteElectric
Aggieland Green does ours never have any ants
tbone94
AG
Mike, Talstar will do well for 1-3 months. Call me if you have questions. TS
1991sir
I really like surrender! We get it from our local feed store. Just be careful, stuff stinks. I wouldn't let it ride with me in the cab if my truck.
Abbyag06
We had a pest control service out a few months ago. Private guy, not a big service. He told me about Over n Out ant killer. I've bought it at Lowes and Walmart. It's amazing. Its a granule you spread...I cut a small hole in the corner and sprinkle it around. Ants are dead on top of the mount and the whole mound it dead. $23 for a decent size bag.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I think that's what I use. I filled up an old parmesan cheese shaker with it and keep it handy while I'm mowing. Year 5 in this house, and I'm still nowhere near finishing the first bag.
dirkjones
AG
Fipronil, 1 oz/gal. No ants for at least a year.
RJ3
AG
Top Choice is an amazing product if you don't want to worry about fire ants. Taurus G is also a generic product that also has fipronil and works solid. Both just need to be applied once a year.
mhnatt
tbone94 said:

Mike, Talstar will do well for 1-3 months. Call me if you have questions. TS

I really appreciate the tip. It's just for Coulter's grave plot (very small area).
tbone94
AG
We'll call you tomorrow and get you taken care of!
tgivaughn
AG
Professionals always do it best

If you are a DIY and not a huge problem
then what we do

Oh, no a party next day = Wasp spray = dead now
will come back later

Have a few days to rid them
Diatomaceous Earth ... none better out here on an acre

IMHO and am sticking to it
Stucco
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Knock-Out-Fire-Ant-Killer-Plus-10-lb-Fire-Ant-Killer/1000411027

Cheap, simple and effective. Spread over the whole yard.
Lasts 4-6 months.
KALALL
AG
Is Fipronil something I can put in a 50 gallon tractor sprayer and treat my whole yard? I couldn't find an application rate for a general area.

I've tried the granual stuff on my yard but I don't see any effect.
dirkjones
AG
kaleb_allison said:

Is Fipronil something I can put in a 50 gallon tractor sprayer and treat my whole yard? I couldn't find an application rate for a general area.

I've tried the granual stuff on my yard but I don't see any effect.

Boy, you must have a big yard. Fipronil is just termite treatment or also used on dogs for fleas. There are several brand names such as taurus. I usually just mix in a gallon sprayer at 1 oz/gal and spray my small yard by hand, it doesn't seem to take much solution. I'll usually spray the eaves of my house also and no wasps. But also Fipronil is bad for honey bees also which might be a downside for some.
KALALL
AG
Thanks I probably don't want to broadcast spray it then. My yard isn't that big, but I'm tired of ants and I'm considering nuclear options.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.