Wellborn and Holleman closing

2,095 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by phillytex24
AG81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This will be fun.

https://transport.tamu.edu/construction.aspx#3171
MyNameIsJeff
AG
That's gonna be disastrous, especially with the state 2818 is in.
bushytailed
It won't be fun but I'm glad they're making the repairs.
Flatlander
Someone somewhere must have a bet going on how many construction projects they can get going simultaneously on Wellborn Rd.
maroon barchetta
Flatlander said:

Someone somewhere must have a bet going on how many construction projects they can get going simultaneously on Wellborn Rd.

Time to add a light at Fitch and Wellborn!
555-PINF
Only 25-30 years too late. I lived at Sterling in the late 90s and a friend's dad had a Viper. He had to make the big loop around to 2818 to get to our place. Of course, that Holleman/2154 intersection was a lot of fun in my old lifted Bronco.
Expert Analysis
AG
There will be one going in at Barron in a couple years.

This holleman and Wellborn project should have been completed last year but they started and then did nothing for a year. The project got approved a year or so before that. They should have pushed to get it done before 2018 work started but good planning is not a goal…
ringrit
The Holleman/Wellborn Rd job got pushed back for a year because the railroad is very slow in getting their permits approved. The permits weren't ready and they couldn't work near the railroad until they were. They finally have the permits in place.
One Louder
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Flatlander said:

Time to add a light at Fitch and Wellborn!

I agree. My son totaled his car at this intersection and the cops who responded said it was a terrible intersection.
Stupe
S
It's a terrible intersection. But if they put a light there, people are just going to turn down Graham.
Tailgate88
AG
ringrit said:

The Holleman/Wellborn Rd job got pushed back for a year because the railroad is very slow in getting their permits approved. The permits weren't ready and they couldn't work near the railroad until they were. They finally have the permits in place.
Same reason downtown Bryan is having so much trouble getting the "Railroad Quiet Zone" or whatever it is called in place. City is ready to go but the RR has been dragging their feet, which they apparently do on everything.
maroon barchetta
Stupe said:

It's a terrible intersection. But if they put a light there, people are just going to turn down Graham.

The biggest issue is people turning left from Fitch onto wellborn. Especially large trucks.

Yes, people turning left from Wellborn onto Fitch can get too hasty and cut it too close. But an 18-wheeler turning left onto Wellborn from Fitch is a problem.

People that try to turn left from Graham onto Wellborn aren't making a good choice most of the time. Only certain parts of the day is that a good plan. They need to give that median the Cain treatment.
maroon barchetta
Tailgate88 said:

ringrit said:

Same reason downtown Bryan is having so much trouble getting the "Railroad Quiet Zone" or whatever it is called in place. City is ready to go but the RR has been dragging their feet, which they apparently do on everything.

They sure didn't drag their feet when it was something they wanted. Ask anybody that used Straub or Wade to get across the tracks.

Their spokesguy was real quick to invoke the name of Abraham Lincoln in the public meetings about the closings and how the government gave the railroad the ultimate power in the universe back in the Civil War era.

But when someone needs something from them…
75AG
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Stupe said:

The biggest issue is people turning left from Fitch onto wellborn. Especially large trucks.

Yes, people turning left from Wellborn onto Fitch can get too hasty and cut it too close. But an 18-wheeler turning left onto Wellborn from Fitch is a problem.

People that try to turn left from Graham onto Wellborn aren't making a good choice most of the time. Only certain parts of the day is that a good plan. They need to give that median the Cain treatment.
If you miss Barron (for a left turn to Wellborn), you are screwed. Terrible intersection that has needed a light since day 1.
In a world of Altuves and Correas, be an Altuve.
maroon barchetta
75AG said:

maroon barchetta said:

Stupe said:

If you miss Barron (for a left turn to Wellborn), you are screwed. Terrible intersection that has needed a light since day 1.

I haven't turned left from Barron onto Wellborn in years, except at off-hours.

It's either Barron Cutoff or it's go down W.S. Phillips and find my way over to Royder or Greens Prairie and use the protection of the light.

Too many people blasting way over the speed limit on Wellborn when trying to make a left onto that road.

What REALLY needs to close is South Dowling at Wellborn by the post office. Lots of bad wrecks there over the years.

Extend Royder across and make Koppe Bridge connect to it.
Expert Analysis
AG
Quote:

What REALLY needs to close is South Dowling at Wellborn by the post office. Lots of bad wrecks there over the years.
That is coming. See new light south of Hullaballoo. Road will go across tracks there and south Dowling will close.

100% the railroad is a problem. It is why rock prairie has taken so long, why deacon is just starting, and issues with the two lights I have mentioned in this thread. Our local reps and even at the state level need to do something about it.
75AG
AG
Way too much effort. Take Barron, get ready to turn left, floor it like a bat-outta-hell into the suicide lane, pray no one rear ends you as you sharply and deftly move into the real lane. Easy peasy!
In a world of Altuves and Correas, be an Altuve.
agtwister_5
AG
Anyone have any drawings as to what it's going to look like when finished?
maroon barchetta
75AG said:

Way too much effort. Take Barron, get ready to turn left, floor it like a bat-outta-hell into the suicide lane, pray no one rear ends you as you sharply and deftly move into the real lane. Easy peasy!

Except for many instances it was not easy for those who tried it.

I'm not in such a hurry that I need to deal with that.

Plus the line of traffic from geniuses waiting to turn left makes it enough of a wait to just go another route.
Gameday Traffic Guy
AG

>>>Cant find the link/webpage but the west side coming across the tracks will have another lane. I think the other legs are same design - lack of right-of-way limits the options.
With no hump, though, the intersection will work much better.
maroon barchetta
Gameday Traffic Guy said:

>>>Cant find the link/webpage but the west side coming across the tracks will have another lane. I think the other legs are same design - lack of right-of-way limits the options.
With no hump, though, the intersection will work much better.

Yeah.

People will be more likely to run the light now that they won't have to slow down to avoid damaging their vehicle.
phillytex24
Does anyone have a link to the plans and what this will look like?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.