Who can help protest appraisal values?

5,821 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by waltonloads11
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
happyinBCS said:

they can increase it way beyond 10% but the most increase per year is capped at 10% (value and increased taxes) then they will get all of the rest of it in the years ahead

Ya I understand it would/could be annual increases. But I'm more worried the tax office says we are changing your 400k to 600k since you're done building. I can live with 10% a year up but it'll be hard to stomach 50% up in one year.
happyinBCS
with it being new construction, I don't think there would be any comps to support a 50% increase unless the value of the land went way up, which is happening in certain areas
Expert Analysis
AG
If you make an improvement the 10% doesn't apply to those improvements. If your $400k was for an uncompleted house then they can assess the to be completed portion as much as them deem necessary.
AG81
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Just get a real estate agent friend to pull comps for your house and then pull the appraised values of similar homes within a few blocks of you. You can assemble a very good argument to support your claim of a too high an appraisal.
This, and...... Make sure that the comps are REALLY comps. Each home as a "rating" regarding it's quality. For example, an RV5 is a slightly lesser quality than a RV5P. That's listed under the "Class CD" column on your record on the website. What I do is look at all the homes in my neighborhood with the same quality rating as mine and look at their values. Then I find comps in my area that are of the same quality rating mine is and see where my valuation sits. Someone has to be at the bottom. If there is a home that sold below the value they've placed on mine, I use that to argue that there's no reason my home is any more valuable than that one on a per sq. ft. basis.

I've never lost. I've literally had hundreds of thousands of dollars of valuation taken off my property. Takes time and effort, but at least you know it was done right. I started doing this because I hired a firm and lost. The next year I appealed and did it myself. Sat down with the appraiser and he explained how it all works.

For the record, mine got jacked up 10% this year too. But I can't protest it, I'm the lowest of my type in my neighborhood. Good luck,
Nutmegger
AG
How much % deviance in square footage can the houses you use as comparable be from your square footage? For example, could you use a 1750 square foot house as comparable if yours is 1520? Or perhaps use a 1660? What is considered within the realm of "comparable"when comparing $/SF?
TexAg1987
Nutmegger said:

How much % deviance in square footage can the houses you use as comparable be from your square footage? For example, could you use a 1750 square foot house as comparable if yours is 1520? Or perhaps use a 1660? What is considered within the realm of "comparable"when comparing $/SF?
Any of those would be reasonable, I would think. Essentially you would compare their $/sf to your sq. footage. adjusting accordingly. An appraisal would take any +'s or -'s to make them comparable. i.e. if the comp had a 3 car garage vs. your 2 car or your pool and they don't have a pool, etc.

This will obviously start to skew if the house you were comparing to was 3000 sf.

Nutmegger
AG
Does that still apply if I am comparing other BCAD appraised values and not comparable sales?
TexAg1987
I'm not an expert by any means.
I don't think you would be successful comparing to other CAD values. Others can chime in. It is supposed to be the value of your house on the retail market
happyinBCS
correct and as I said previously, I bet 75% of the new values are still below retail sales prices
Nutmegger
AG
Wouldn't that fall under the reason of "Unequal Appraisal" though?

https://assets.recenter.tamu.edu/Documents/Articles/2062.pdf
TexAg1987
Doesn't hurt to try.
gigem92
AG
So, I used Ownwell to protest and just got the results back.

The Brazos County Appraisal Review Board has ruled that your property is assessed below its estimated market value as of January 1st, 2022 at this time.

FU#%ING appraisal district.

tb9665
We were told that our house was one of the newest houses on the street and they were not going to lower ours even though there is not mush age difference in some.
waltonloads11
AG
gigem92 said:

So, I used Ownwell to protest and just got the results back.

The Brazos County Appraisal Review Board has ruled that your property is assessed below its estimated market value as of January 1st, 2022 at this time.

FU#%ING appraisal district.

Same... Are you going to do anything extra or let it be this year?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.