Who can help protest appraisal values?

5,818 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by waltonloads11
MemphisAg1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody know the name or have a link to a firm that will protest your property appraisal in exchange for a share of the savings?

I usually don't get too worked up by these things but 25% in one year is ridiculous. Yes, the 10% cap kicked in, but it still needs to be challenged. Looking for an expert with experience.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Paramount Property Analyst does it I think.
aggiemom89
https://www.ownwell.com/
maddiedou
AG
I think paramount is a 60-40 split

They save a 1000.00 in taxes they get paid 400.00

That used to be how they were paid
TexAg1987
Problem this year is the comps are through the roof.
techno-ag
AG
maddiedou said:

Is that for every $1,000? So if they save you $20,000 you'd pay them $8,000?
maddiedou
AG
That would be correct. Or at least it was 6 years ago when I used them before i started fighting for myself
EBrazosAg
AG
It's what they save you in taxes …. Not appraisal or taxable value to be clear.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
woodiewood1
Just get a real estate agent friend to pull comps for your house and then pull the appraised values of similar homes within a few blocks of you. You can assemble a very good argument to support your claim of a too high an appraisal.
woodiewood1
techno-ag said:

maddiedou said:

Is that for every $1,000? So if they save you $20,000 you'd pay them $8,000?
You would have to either have a very high valued home or be extremely over-apprised for you to have paid $20,000 more in property taxes.
SW AG80
AG
Thanks for getting this info out there.
Monywolf
https://propertytaxconsulting.com/about/

Call Doug. We've used him each of the last two years and gotten fair results.
MemphisAg1
AG
Thanks all for the suggestions.
BCS-Ag
I don't see how protesting will matter much this year. Home values are so far up they can justify it. We should all spend our energy trying to get the taxing authorities to lower their rates instead.
Expert Analysis
AG
BCS-Ag said:

I don't see how protesting will matter much this year. Home values are so far up they can justify it. We should all spend our energy trying to get the taxing authorities to lower their rates instead.

Pretty much this. Most appraisals are up over 10% meaning some of if not all of any reduction you can get won't even matter this year unless you get your total increase less than 10%.
Maybe it will help next year though if you can get any of next years carryover removed. They already got me for 10% next year too… Chances are they are not lowering appraisals with carryover next year even if the housing market slows.
BCS-Ag
Expert Analysis said:

BCS-Ag said:

Pretty much this. Most appraisals are up over 10% meaning some of if not all of any reduction you can get won't even matter this year unless you get your total increase less than 10%.
Maybe it will help next year though if you can get any of next years carryover removed. They already got me for 10% next year too… Chances are they are not lowering appraisals with carryover next year even if the housing market slows.

Exactly, my value went up almost 30% this year - it's still way under the comps of my neighbors recent sales and my recent appraised value. I'll hit the 10% cap for at least the next 3 years...
HowdyAgs03
AG
I went ahead and submitted a protest request through Ownwell. Their fee is 25% of any property tax savings and nothing is owed if the protest is unsuccessful. I figured I don't have anything to lose.

For reference:
3% increase in property value and 7% increase in property taxes from 2020 to 2021
17% increase in property value and property taxes from 2021 to 2022

If anyone decides to give them a shot use the following link and we'll both get a $25 credit:
https://www.ownwell.com/?owl=2EFAFZCAC
BCS-Ag
HowdyAgs03 said:

I went ahead and submitted a protest request through Ownwell. Their fee is 25% of any property tax savings and nothing is owed if the protest is unsuccessful. I figured I don't have anything to lose.

For reference:
3% increase in property value and 7% increase in property taxes from 2020 to 2021

If anyone decides to give them a shot use the following link and we'll both get a $25 credit:

How does the appraisal cap figure in? What if the reduce your value but your taxes don't actual go down.. do you still owe them?
HowdyAgs03
AG
From their FAQ...

"Our 25% fee is applied to actual property tax savings in the year we appeal. If you have an active homestead exemption, over 65 exemption, or any other tax exemption applied to your property, we will adjust your final fee by the appropriate discounted amount. You will never be charged for a reduction in your assessed value if your final tax bill is not reduced. You won't be charged unless your final property tax bill is actually reduced, and we have a signed document from your taxing authority to prove it."

https://www.ownwell.com/pricing
TexAg1987
Interested to see how well it works here. Their online estimator said it could save me $739 in taxes, problem is, BCAD hasn't posted this years increase for my house yet.

Keep us updated.
Expert Analysis
AG
I am going to protest via the online option. I did this 2 years ago when it was the only option and got a reduction. I am going to try and get the excess tax carryover removed. Then hope next year they raise it by less than 10% and then fight that value...
quantumleap
HowdyAgs03 said:

For reference:

Thanks for the heads up about this service HowdyAgs03! Like you, I figured "what do I have to lose", so I did start an appeal through them, and I did use your referral link for the $25 credit!

For anyone else that might be on the fence about this, I noticed after I finished my appeal process (which literally took less than 2 mins.), the following statement on their homepage, "Texas Residents: The deadline in most counties to protest with Ownwell is Monday, May 16th." - so note that you don't have all the way until the end of May to start the process with them (like you would, if you were handling your own online appeal), you only have until this coming Monday...so 4 days and change!

So if you're on the fence about using them, make sure that you decide before this coming Monday (5/16)...and if anyone appreciates the deadline warning, and wants to throw a referral credit my way (and get your own $25 credit and referral link), you can also use my link: https://www.ownwell.com/?owl=2F6A1Z737

And thanks again HowdyAgs03!
gigem92
AG
I filed with them as well and used your referral link quantum
quantumleap
gigem92 said:

I filed with them as well and used your referral link quantum

Thanks gigem92, I appreciate it!

Perhaps we can continue the "pass it on" vibe, and you can post your referral link, so that the next TexAgs user that decides to give Ownwell a go, can get you a credit by using your link!

And so on, and so on....
gigem92
AG
Of course. Happy to pass my referral code along for anyone who is interested.

https://www.ownwell.com/?owl=2F94CZ676
BCS-Ag
gigem92 said:

Of course. Happy to pass my referral code along for anyone who is interested.

https://www.ownwell.com/?owl=2F94CZ676

Dang, too many of you MyBCSers clicked:

"Demand has been higher than expected in Brazos County, and we have reached our capacity limit for new cases in 2022. Unfortunately, we can't take on your case for 2022, but continue signing up, and we will make sure you're first in line for next year."
Abbyag06
You can do it yourself. We did a couple years ago. Found what documents to bring online, printed comps in the area. Made the appointment. Took about an hour.
BCS-Ag
Abbyag06 said:

You can do it yourself. We did a couple years ago. Found what documents to bring online, printed comps in the area. Made the appointment. Took about an hour.

Not worth it for me, I'll sell my house before I go under the 10% homestead cap. BVCAD is still WAY under my actual value so I doubt it would have worked anyway.
happyinBCS
I think you finally hit the nail on the head I would guess probably 80% of the values are still below true market so of course all of us don't want to pay more taxes but as you said we all have the choice to sell
aneisch
AG
I received an $8,200 lower settlement offer but my appraisal went up $87,264 (+22.58%) YOY. The "evidence" they provided is overwhelming and hard to interpret so I am tempted to accept the offer and be done with it. Their offer t's a pretty paltry decrease. Anyone advice?
happyinBCS
take it
Nutmegger
AG
Does anyone know the deadline for Appeals for brazos? I'm not at home to look at the letter.

Thanks!
MiMi
S
Deadline to file a protest with Brazos CAD is May 31
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Question:

Lets say my new construction home which was not yet completed on Jan 1, is now complete and the proposed 2022 assessment came in at $400k. Is that $400k capped at 10% increases annually? Or will they come back out and create a new assessed value next year and then use that as the number for figuring out the future 10% caps?
happyinBCS
they can increase it way beyond 10% but the most increase per year is capped at 10% (value and increased taxes) then they will get all of the rest of it in the years ahead
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.