weekend AC repair recs?

3,204 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by wareagle044
war hymn aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As luck would have it, my AC crapped out this evening.
I think that the system is just low on freon, as all components are running normally.
My usual guy doesn't field calls on weekends.
Anyone on this board have any recommendations for a serviceable AC repair company that won't charge too much for weekend service?

TIA
maddiedou
AG
All components running is proably a capictor.

If you dont find anybody yext me in the morning

979-eight two o - l87o
aggies4life
AG
Air concept has always been fair and great for us.

Nine 7 nine 6 nine 0 7444
JP76
Coil In the attic ?

If so go in the attic and see if any water is standing in the pan ? If so look for a switch on the side of the pan with 2 or 3 wires on it.
lockett93
AG
All components running does t sound like capacitor (it wouldn't start running), or float shutoff which would stop it from running also.
maddiedou
AG
Not true well not true at my apartments

Yes sometimes outside is not running and then sometimes outside has been running but compressor would not kick on Capacitor both times

I could be wrong been a while aince I have worked on mine but pretty sure I am right
histag10
AG
I too am having weekend AC issues. But we believe a bad breaker switch is the issue. It's getting really hot and tripping after running for a few hours. If not, we were told it might be the capacitor
UmustBKidding
Is the condenser (outside) fan running? If not high head pressure can cause high current and breaker trips. If you have clamp amp meter you can measure current (doesn't everyone?)
histag10
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Is the condenser (outside) fan running? If not high head pressure can cause high current and breaker trips. If you have clamp amp meter you can measure current (doesn't everyone?)

Yeah, everything works great until the breaker switch gets really freaking hot and trips
JP76
A failing compressor or one that is starting to ground out can also cause breaker tripping.
What brand is the condenser ?

What amp size is the breaker that keeps tripping ?

maddiedou
AG
Jp is correct Compressor is bad or going bad or. I have also had a wire burn and started shorting out the breaker
histag10
AG
JP76 said:

A failing compressor or one that is starting to ground out can also cause breaker tripping.

The HVAC guy I talked to said if it was the compressor, it would trip almost immediately after I reset it. Not run fine for like 5 hours. 30 amp breaker.
UmustBKidding
Likely breaker available at big box store for a few more hours tonight, not an expensive try and if works great, not less than a service call.
Email in profile
histag10
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Likely breaker available at big box store for a few more hours tonight, not an expensive try and if works great, not less than a service call.
Email in profile

Already picked one up, and husband will hopefully put it in when he gets home. I think he bought a capacitor too just in case. Will Email of we need it!
UmustBKidding
Good deal. Keep a few capacitors and may have a contactor also. Check the disconnect on condenser unit also. If they have been arcing and get pitted bad connection make for higher current and potential trips.
JP76
histag10 said:

JP76 said:

The HVAC guy I talked to said if it was the compressor, it would trip almost immediately after I reset it. Not run fine for like 5 hours. 30 amp breaker.

Check the tag on the condenser. It will state max breaker size but 30 sounds a little low from all the ones I've been around but it also depends on your wire size ran from the panel. It will Usually will be a 35 or 40. I had a situation in the last where someone had put a 30 in and max breaker size was 40 on the condenser tag and 8 wire gauge. It would trip on hot summers on start up. Put a 35 back in and it solved the issue. Most condensers generally pull around 25-30 amps especially at start up. Also if you feel comfortable i would check all connections from breaker to the condenser because I've also seen this happen when the hot legs were loose on the breaker causing it to arc and overheat and trip.

histag10
AG
JP76 said:

histag10 said:

JP76 said:

Check the tag on the condenser. It will state max breaker size but 30 sounds a little low from all the ones I've been around but it also depends on your wire size ran from the panel. It will Usually will be a 35 or 40. I had a situation in the last where someone had put a 30 in and max breaker size was 40 on the condenser tag and 8 wire gauge. It would trip on hot summers on start up. Put a 35 back in and it solved the issue. Most condensers generally pull around 25-30 amps especially at start up. Also if you feel comfortable i would check all connections from breaker to the condenser because I've also seen this happen when the hot legs were loose on the breaker causing it to arc and overheat and trip.

Will check that. This is the first time in 3 years we have had an issue with our ac.
lockett93
AG
maddiedou said:

Not true well not true at my apartments

Yes sometimes outside is not running and then sometimes outside has been running but compressor would not kick on Capacitor both times

I could be wrong been a while aince I have worked on mine but pretty sure I am right

True if you can tell that either the compressor or the outside fan motor isn't running. What I meant was that if ALL was running then it won't be the capacitor .

And it was the capacitor. Lol. I'd still venture a guess that means the system was not all running.
BCSWguru
capacitor will have bowed out ends if its blown in a lot of cases.
war hymn aggie
AG
UPDATE:

Air Concepts came out & fixed my system, Replaced capicitor.
Service rep was very professional & knowledgeable.

Would recommend this company with two thumbs up for anyone that needs them in the future.
FamousAgg
I live out in your neck of the woods. If you would want to borrow a window unit to get you through the night I have one available.
RJ3
AG
At ABC, we're 24/7 service for HVAC and plumbing services. 979-361-0500
histag10
AG
BattleGrackle said:

I live out in your neck of the woods. If you would want to borrow a window unit to get you through the night I have one available.

281 six five nine 5591

Thank you! We actually have a few windows units that we have acquired over the years lol. But our AC has actually been running fine for several hours now, and is keeping the house around 69.

Going to see if husband can get it figured out tomorrow. If not, I may call you to grab one so I have enough to get our bedrooms.
histag10
AG
Changing out the breaker switch seems to have fixed our issue.

I was mistaken, it was a double pull 30amp switch. So 60 total.
EliteElectric
histag10 said:

2 pole 30 is still max 30a, 30 per leg.
halibut sinclair
For future reference, I highly recommend Superior Air Repair.
histag10
AG
I wouldn't. We dealt with them a few years ago. They desperately try to upsell everything, to the point they were being deceptive about what we actually needed. They insisted we had at least $2500 in repairs that HAD to happen immediately, or our entire system would fail and need to be replaced. Got a second opinion. $200 later, and we are still going strong almost 3 years later (annual maintenance has shown no issues). Maybe it's because I'm a woman, and they thought I would just take their word for it (wouldn't be the first time a local company pulls that crap), but I won't ever have them out again.
histag10
AG
EliteElectric said:

histag10 said:

2 pole 30 is still max 30a, 30 per leg.

These are things I know nothing about. I know my husband replaced it, and it works. Lol
halibut sinclair
histag10 said:

I wouldn't. We dealt with them a few years ago. They desperately try to upsell everything, to the point they were being deceptive about what we actually needed. They insisted we had at least $2500 in repairs that HAD to happen immediately, or our entire system would fail and need to be replaced. Got a second opinion. $200 later, and we are still going strong almost 3 years later (annual maintenance has shown no issues). Maybe it's because I'm a woman, and they thought I would just take their word for it (wouldn't be the first time a local company pulls that crap), but I won't ever have them out again.

Sorry to hear that, but they have been excellent at our house. They serviced our old system and kept it running until it had to be replaced. Purchased the new system from them a couple years ago and they are on the ball with spring & fall checkups. I also have relatives in town that have had great experiences. Very happy with Superior.
FlyRod
Having mine tuned up by ABC tomorrow. Can't shake the feeling we're heading into a repeat of 2011 and if so I wish everyone all the luck that there is.
75AG
AG
FlyRod said:

Having mine tuned up by ABC tomorrow. Can't shake the feeling we're heading into a repeat of 2011 and if so I wish everyone all the luck that there is.
I've been pleased with ABC. They do my bugs, my HVAC, and my Xmas lights.
AG @ HEART
war hymn aggie said:

UPDATE:

Air Concepts came out & fixed my system, Replaced capicitor.
Service rep was very professional & knowledgeable.

Would recommend this company with two thumbs up for anyone that needs them in the future.

Let me guess, the hermetic side of the capacitor was dead but the fan still ran?
histag10
AG
UPDATE FOR ME:

Apparently the last storm we likely had some sort of large surge that hit our house from the lightning. After switching out the AC breaker switch (which took care of our AC proble.), we now have 2 other breakers tripping. BTU came out and made sure it wasn't on their end, and it wasn't. They did say they had to replace a lightning something on the pole at the back of our property, and suggested that we likely got hit with a surge that essentially fried a few of our breakers
FamousAgg
Lightning arrester perhaps?
histag10
AG
Yes! Thats what he said it was lol
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.