Businesses/Restaurants with Wifi

1,274 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jphil1
The Anchor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife works remotely. We are building a list of BCS places she can take our kids this summer while still being able to work.

Our boys are 8, 7, and 7 if that helps. They love pretty much any activity.
woodiewood1
There area lot of places that have wifi, MeDonalds, Barnes and Noble, etc. I admire her if she can do quality work on line while still managing three young boys.

I would use secure WIFI through my phone and take them to the park and do my work under a gazebo and let them wear themselves out on the playgrounds. Most of the public WIFI is not secure so be careful if she is doing anything that has sensitive data or anything a hacker could mess up. I even use my phone when I stop at McDonalds as it is password secured.

The Anchor
AG
Thanks. It's a new job and we are attempting to manage the summer times as best as we can. I plan on taking time off of work too.
woodiewood1
The Anchor said:

Thanks. It's a new job and we are attempting to manage the summer times as best as we can. I plan on taking time off of work too.
The Blue Baker at Tower Point has a fenced play area.
MiMi
S
Quote:

The Blue Baker at Tower Point has a fenced play area.
And WIFI, power outlets at the booths.
mason12
AG
Some of College Station's city parks if they have an office in the park have the city's open Wi-Fi broadcasting.
MTTANK
AG
Trampoline place next to Aldi in Bryan, can't remember the name. I always get them confused
GIG 'EM
A Net Full of Jello
AG
There is a place in the mall near JC Penny called The Corner Office Commons that is designed for kids to go play while the moms do work. Right now, I think the play stuff is geared more towards young children but I bet there will b things for older kids this summer.
MiMi
S
If she has a hotspot on her phone that she can use, and if the kids are good swimmers, she can take them to one of the city pools.
The Anchor
AG
Here's my running list as of now:

Businesses
Barnes and Noble
Big Shots
Chuck E Cheeses
Grand Station
Jumping World
Smarty Sprouts
Urban Air

Restaurants/Other
Babes
Blue Baker
Century Square (Blaze and Hopdoddy)
Chic Fil A
McDonald's
Starbucks
The Brew Coffeehouse
Sweet Eugene's
LOYAL AG
AG
This is a great topic but Woodie is right. Never use public WiFi as its wide open. Hotspot your phone and eliminate the worry that you get hacked. Pretty much every phone has hotspot capability and unlimited data isn't expensive. If you handle anything remotely sensitive your clients or employer will appreciate the diligence.
Tibbers
I'd put the Stella hotel as a great spot for that. They have a coffee shop and plenty of space outdoors, games, etc for the kids to enjoy as she works. Wi-Fi is pretty good too. Might be the best of both worlds for them.
BCS-Ag
If they are athletic and like water, I can personally vouch for thisprogram being awesome (my now 12yo son loved it the last 2 years). This would fill the kids schedule for a half day at a time and is WAY expanded this year. Good wifi and food for the adults that hang out during camp too...

https://thecove.bearx.com/camp-surf/
techno-ag
AG
Agree with everybody to use your phone as a hotspot. Public Wi-Fi is just not worth the risk. Check your plan and make sure you have enough gigs to get through the month. If you're not streaming movies or something you should be fine.
UmustBKidding
Sure I will take the heat but if you are using tools that are not transport level secure you have no business using the internet even at your own house much less using public wifi. And using your hotspot on your phone just exposes your connectivity to a higher class far more capable adversaries. And this does not prevent people eaves dropping on the connection from your laptop to your phone, especially if your hotspot password is abc123.

1: Turn on HTTPS only in your browser
2: Use DNS over HTTPS (DOH) to a known reputable provider (cloudflare?)
3: Don't use applications that exchange credentials in the clear if you don't have TLS enabled for them.
4: Make sure you IT group has a security clue and the applications they provide are secure or use a VPN (no not something you see pushed in youtube videos, one you or your company owns the gateway server)
5: If you are not doing this at a minimum don't plan to be secure even if you are home or using a cell hotspot.

rptsAg03
Stone Co Climbing
histag10
AG
Tibbers said:

I'd put the Stella hotel as a great spot for that. They have a coffee shop and plenty of space outdoors, games, etc for the kids to enjoy as she works. Wi-Fi is pretty good too. Might be the best of both worlds for them.

Could even buy a day pass or season pass to the pool
jphil1
AG
Gate 12 does not have Wi-Fi for customers
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.