Aggieland BBQ Wars Thread

19,916 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by halibut sinclair
ChampsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
B/CS:
  • Martin's Place - haven't been in years. last experience was not great
  • J. Cody's - not a fan. last experience was not good
  • Fargo's - my second favorite in town. love the rib tips. brisket and ribs my faves. family likes the sausage
  • All the Kings Men - burnt ends were good, haven't been in a while
  • C&J's - only thing i will get is the chopped beef sandwich. love the beans
  • 1775 Texas Pit BBQ - my go to in town. ribs used to be my favorite but brisket on the new pit is coming on strong. turkey is great and so is the chicken
  • Cooper's - went today. won't be back. just not good bbq to me. even the free beans were watery and salty.
  • What's tha Deal BBQ - been once, didn't make an impression
  • 1976 BBQ - won't go. tried to make a name off of 1775 when they first opened
  • Rudys - no thank you

Close by:
  • Mallett Brothers (Navasota & Madisonville) - dry
  • Blue Moon (Hearne) - need to go back now that they are back open. used to be my 2nd/3rd choice
  • Truth (Brenham) - best single bite of bbq brisket i've had. i have heard it went down a little when they opened the houston location. dessert is amazing
  • LJ's BBQ (Brenham) - my favorite in an hour drive. love it all there and the guys are awesome. order their mac & cheese for thanksgiving
  • City Meat Market (Giddings) - i was there last week. brisket was more like roast beef than brisket. sausage tasted like iron. beans were not ready for the day at 12:30.
  • Brett's Backyard (Rockdale) - damn good bbq on par with LJ's and 1775. he does a lot of specialty stuff and has live music on weekends a lot

Houston/Katy - I highly recommend Roegels
ChampsAg
ATKM has a smoker in the kitchen. Electric

Agree that they are overpriced
TXAGBQ76
AG
Went to Kruez three times after games
1. Out of ribs
2. Out of ribs and brisket
3. Pretty much out of everything except for "clod" (sp?)

Never went back
MTTANK
AG
ChampsAg said:

ATKM has a smoker in the kitchen. Electric

Agree that they are overpriced
That would have been my guess, but thought I would ask. Personally don't consider that BBQ, but to each their own.
GIG 'EM
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
J Cody has really tanked. Not sure what happened there but the brisket is cold and rubbery almost as if it's leftovers each time. The sides are still decent but I think I'm done giving them chance after chance.
ChampsAg
owner probably focusing on Gate 12
woodiewood1
ChampsAg said:

B/CS:
  • Martin's Place - haven't been in years. last experience was not great
  • J. Cody's - not a fan. last experience was not good
  • Fargo's - my second favorite in town. love the rib tips. brisket and ribs my faves. family likes the sausage
  • All the Kings Men - burnt ends were good, haven't been in a while
  • C&J's - only thing i will get is the chopped beef sandwich. love the beans
  • 1775 Texas Pit BBQ - my go to in town. ribs used to be my favorite but brisket on the new pit is coming on strong. turkey is great and so is the chicken
  • Cooper's - went today. won't be back. just not good bbq to me. even the free beans were watery and salty.
  • What's tha Deal BBQ - been once, didn't make an impression
  • Rudys - no thank you

Close by:
  • Mallett Brothers (Navasota & Madisonville) - dry
  • Blue Moon (Hearne) - need to go back now that they are back open. used to be my 2nd/3rd choice
  • Truth (Brenham) - best single bite of bbq brisket i've had. i have heard it went down a little when they opened the houston location. dessert is amazing
  • LJ's BBQ (Brenham) - my favorite in an hour drive. love it all there and the guys are awesome. order their mac & cheese for thanksgiving
  • City Meat Market (Giddings) - i was there last week. brisket was more like roast beef than brisket. sausage tasted like iron. beans were not ready for the day at 12:30.
  • Brett's Backyard (Rockdale) - damn good bbq on par with LJ's and 1775. he does a lot of specialty stuff and has live music on weekends a lot

Houston/Katy - I highly recommend Roegels

No Snows?
woodiewood1
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

J Cody has really tanked. Not sure what happened there but the brisket is cold and rubbery almost as if it's leftovers each time. The sides are still decent but I think I'm done giving them chance after chance.
Last time I went there with Fam the chicken was dry as dirt. I suspect it was the day before leftovers.

I know, it's chicken, but I minimize eating red meat for health reasons.

Slicer97
AG

I've eaten at J Cody's every couple of years since they've been open and have never cared for their bbq.

Their ribeyes are legit, the creamed corn is stellar, and I really like their homemade bread. But even in the beginning, the brisket was pretty meh.

1775 is the best I've had in town.

Rudy's is kinda my baseline comparison for bbq (ate their a few days ago, in fact). If a place is better than Rudy's, it's good bbq. If it's not, it ain't gonna do for a bbq fix.

I view C&J's the way I view Bill Miller's. It's fine if you want a decent lunch that's quick, cheap, and convenient, but it ain't where I'm headed to satisfy a bbq fix.
Broncos
ChampsAg said:

• Same. He may be good BBQ but I'll settle for C&J before giving them any money.
    Orlando Ayala Cant Read
    AG
    Any more details on this story?
    Broncos
    When they first opened they hit social media pretty hard. There were a lot of people on social media and on TexAgs confused thinking that they were 1775 and had moved locations. The problem I noticed is that they never disputed it but just went along with it.

In fact, I remember quite a few posts from 1775 on their Facebook stating that they had not moved as many customers were calling and asking.
    GSS

It's a BBQ thread, but the hamburger's at JCody's make every visit a good one.
    NRA Life
    TSRA Life
    ChampsAg
    Forgot Snow's. I'm getting old.

Snow'a is just damn good. Fresh or shipped and reheated
    Orlando Ayala Cant Read
    AG
    Just made it out to 1775 today and I gotta put it #1 as far as brisket goes.

The texture, cut, and fat were perfect however I think they had a bad day with salt as it seemed a bit salty. And I'm the guy who adds salt to everything already so I know it was too much. That said, I'm guessing it was just a mistake for a day and tomorrow's batch wont have that issue.

Even oversalted today, it's the best local bbq I've had in quite some time.
    halibut sinclair

2 centuries apart. Opposite sides of town. Not at all confusing if you pay attention.
    ChampsAg
    That was the issue. People didn't pay attention and he didn't correct them. Even after being contacted by 1775
    ChampsAg
    Have heard really good things about Smoke Daddies in Navasota as well but haven't tried them yet
    Bullpen Chias
    AG
    ChampsAg said:

That was the issue. People didn't pay attention and he didn't correct them. Even after being contacted by 1775

Home of the Big Mick!
    halibut sinclair
    ChampsAg said:

Not his fault if people don't pay attention.

There's a bbq place in Beaumont called 1701. So confusing.
    MyNameIsJeff
    AG
    halibut sinclair said:

ChampsAg said:

Not his fault if people don't pay attention.

There's a bbq place in Beaumont called 1701. So confusing.
    Because Beaumont is BCS...

This may not be the case, but when you open a business (I assume he wasn't around before, never heard of them until recently) with a very similar name as another hugely successful business in the same market in the same town, it definitely appears you're trying to ride your competitor's coattails and get some of their business through confusion.

All that said, I'm thinking about trying them for lunch because they're right down the road.
    Lorne Malvo
    AG
    What time do I have to get to 1775 on Saturdays to be able to get their brisket and ribs?
    Bunk Moreland
    Lorne Malvo said:

What time do I have to get to 1775 on Saturdays to be able to get their brisket and ribs?

I usually get out there around 10:30 and they haven't ever run out for me....but I haven't been in the last 2-3 months so maybe the crowd picked up.
    ChampsAg
    You can call them and place your order if you call before 10:30
    Lorne Malvo
    AG
    Thank y'all
    EliteElectric
    Bullpen Chias said:

ChampsAg said:

Home of the Big Mick!

crbongos
    AG
    3C's had good sauce in it's day.
    CRBongo
    MyNameIsJeff
    AG
    1976 chopped sandwich has about 2 pounds of meat in it. It was good though, at least the half I ate.
    techno-ag
    AG
    Nathan's in Brenham can go on the out of town list. Used to love their ribs but I haven't been there in a while.
    I Sold DeSantis Lifts
    I've never had Franklins. Truth is the best I've ever eaten. I understand they have ties to Franklin's. Short of that, my brisket is better than the others listed - but I haven't had 1775 yet.
    Bullpen Chias
    AG
    CM Trump Voter said:

I've never had Franklins. Truth is the best I've ever eaten. I understand they have ties to Franklin's. Short of that, my brisket is better than the others listed - but I haven't had 1775 yet.

I'm shocked it took this many posts to get to "my brisket is better".
    Sweet Kitten Feet
    S
    I actually do prefer my brisket. But that's a lot of work to go through. And there is no way I could produce brisket at the scale of these places and have it be so consistently good. Yeah, for a holiday or something I'm going to go through the effort, but if I just get a hankerin' for some que I'm gonna hit up a place that I can trust will be good.
    tgivaughn
    AG
    Am fan of ribs, perhaps sausage, then the brisket & sides, soooooo
    WingsNmore RIBS
    Martins
    Rudy's
    Others not listed = either not impressed or not yet been there waiting for inspiring reviews to move me

Dying to go!
    Coopers!
    IMHO and am sticking to it
    unmade bed
    halibut sinclair said:

2 centuries apart. Opposite sides of town. Not at all confusing if you pay attention.

I don't get it either

One is called "1775 Texas Pit BBQ"

The other is just "1976 BBQ"

From the looks of both of their online presences they don't have similar marketing at all. Here's what the places look like:

1775:

1976:

Different style lettering. One uses image of Texas, the other uses image of cow.

As for marketing, it looks 1976 uses "Damn Good BBQ" as a slogan.

1775 appears to use "Smokin on the Brazos."

1976 is pretty good and more conveniently located for me

halibut sinclair
    unmade bed said:

halibut sinclair said:

I don't get it either

One is called "1775 Texas Pit BBQ"

The other is just "1976 BBQ"

From the looks of both of their online presences they don't have similar marketing at all. Here's what the places look like:

1775:

1976:

Different style lettering. One uses image of Texas, the other uses image of cow.

As for marketing, it looks 1976 uses "Damn Good BBQ" as a slogan.

1775 appears to use "Smokin on the Brazos."

1976 is pretty good and more conveniently located for me

Excellent analysis!

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.