Aggieland BBQ Wars Thread

19,914 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by halibut sinclair
BQwolf05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since this keeps coming up on the Coming and Going thread I figured I would just give it a place to live.

BQwolf05
AG
List of BBQ Locations:

B/CS:
  • Martin's Place
  • J. Cody's
  • Fargo's
  • All the Kings Men
  • C&J's
  • 1775 Texas Pit BBQ - Texags Thread
  • Cooper's
  • What's tha Deal BBQ
  • 1976 BBQ
  • Rudys
  • Lamar & Niki's

Close by:
  • Mallett Brothers (Navasota)
  • Blue Moon (Hearne)
  • Truth (Brenham)
  • LJ's BBQ (Brenham)
  • Nathans (Brenham)
  • City Meat Market (Giddings)
  • Snows (Lexington)
  • Brett's Backyard Barbecue (Rockdale)
  • Snook BBQ (Snook)
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
So what are we supposed to do, list our favorite? Easy.

In BCS based off original list:

1775. Not even close.

I like Coopers, but for different things. It's not the traditional style of bbq I was raised on.

J Cody's is average for BBQ, but they have plenty of other things that are good

Fargo's started off great, but it's been years since I felt like going out of my way to eat there. Quality has gone way done from the early days.

C&J. Average, but very consistent. Never been in there and had just a bad meal. Never walked away and said "Damn that was good" either.

All the Kings Men. Good, but I felt it was overpriced for what I got.

Martin's. Went once. Food was above average, but I ordered and it took 40 minutes to get it to me and the place wasn't even crowded. Weird.

Nah, give me 1775 any day. Their brisket is great, and the ribs are some of the best I've ever had. Owners are always there talking with customers and seem like great people.
Broncos
1775 Pit BBQ Thread

Hindsight, I should have never made this thread and kept 1775 all to myself.
BQwolf05
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

So what are we supposed to do, list our favorite? Easy.

Just a good place to have the discussion (internet fight) about BBQ places here since it seems to pop up every time someone mentions BBQ on the coming and going thread.

If I have the time I may, for fun, set up a google survey to let people vote for different categories. So if people want to chime in with ideas feel free and I can look to compile them at a later day and post the survey.

For me, I have enjoyed 1775, Coopers, and All the Kings Men. Each is good in it's own way.

Fargo's I did enjoy but like you Kitten have not been in a while (just haven't made the trip).
halibut sinclair
BQwolf05 said:

List of BBQ Locations:

Martin's Place
J. Cody's
Fargo's
All the Kings Men
C&J's
1775 Texas Pit BBQ
Cooper's

What's tha Deal BBQ
1976 BBQ
Blue Moon
BQwolf05
AG
Updated
Wicked Good Ag
Rudy's. But that is just an addition not a recommendation. And if we are adding Blue Moon outside of town then you can add Truth to the list as well.

Then it is

1. Truth
2. 1775

3. Others
halibut sinclair
What about Mallett Brothers in Navasota - they do a lot of catering in B/CS.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
They're good. I'd put them a little above C&J's. I know they also have a location in Iola.

They catered our wedding last year (brisket and chicken) and did a phenomenal job. The chicken was especially good. They were about half price per plate compared to 1775.
The Brazos Kid
Cooper's FTW.

/end thread
MTTANK
AG
Would you really consider all the kings men bbq? I've been a couple of times and never noticed a smoker anywhere? Unless its smoked offsite? They have a cool bar and the hipster trendy vibe rocking, but it's a spendy joint for faux BBQ

1. Coopers
2. 1775
3. Truth

The top 3 are all pretty equal, would just depend on what I'm feeling like that day.

If you want to cast the net for a little further drive, Blacks in Bastrop is my personal favorite.

Still need to try the Rockdale joint

GIG 'EM
IWannaGoFast1
AG
No overall rankings from me, but I think Fargo's still has the best ribs.
Bunk Moreland

Fargos

The rest.
GeographyAg
AG
Where is Truth in CS? On google I see one in the Heights here in Houston, and one in Brenham, but not one in CS anywhere.

We've never been tried 1776 because I was told they run out before evening and we don't eat lunch, so why bother driving all the way out there? Have they changed their hours?
- there's a place in Tomball that was like that but recently added more meat to their schedule so they had longer hours. We drove out there and stood in line and finally got it. It was good but definitely not worth any kind of extra trouble for what it is.

We always default to C&J. It's always good and consistent and we enjoy their sides (with the exception of their green beans which are completely, inexplicably, flavorless). Their Ranch Potatoes alone make it worth the stop.

Edited because typing on my phone is something I really shouldn't try.
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
BQwolf05
AG
GeographyAg said:

Where is Truth in CS? On google I see one in the Heights here in Houston, and one in Brenham, but not one in CS anywhere.

We've never been tried 1776 because I was told they run out before evening and we don't eat lunch, so why bother driving all the way out there? Have they changed their hours?
- there's a place in Tomball that was like that but recently added more meat to their schedule so they had longer hours. We drove out there and stood in line and finally got it. It was good but definitely not worth any kind of extra trouble for what it is.

We always default to C&J. It's always good and consistent and we enjoy their sides (with the exception of their green beans which are complexly, inexplicably, flavorless). Their Ranch Potatoes alone make it worth the stop.

Username checks out, added a separation of B/CS and close by.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
There is no Truth here. The closest is Brenham.

My thoughts on local barbecue below:

1. 1775. Hands down the best in BCS. Some of the best brisket you can find anywhere. I just don't make it very often due to really only being able to make it at lunch on Saturdays (it's a 45 minute round trip from my office on Hwy 30, so I can't really go during the week).

2. Coopers. Good barbecue. I prefer the flavor of their pork ribs to 1775's. We go pretty much every time my family is here from out of town.

3. Fargo's. Unfortunately, I think they've gone downhill each time they've moved. Also out of the way, so I usually pass them up for 1775 if I'm making a dedicated barbecue trip. Their pork ribs are especially good, though.

4. C&J's. I think they're decent for what they are. I work close to one of their locations and will occasionally stop for lunch.

That's really it. I forgot we even had a Rudy's. My one experience at All the King's Men was spent wondering where the pit was. The food was meh and more expensive than other places. Martin's was weird. It usually looks closed down when I drive by. I have heard good things about and want to try 1976, but I already have a bad taste in my mouth because I think they are using their name to try to catch some of 1775's traffic.

ETA: I forgot about Blue Moon. I've had it twice, once at the location and once catered. The catering experience was ok, but I'm not gonna judge too hard on that. The time we picked it up at their store was awful and made my wife and MIL sick.
Broncos
Anyone try Always Cravin' BBQ? They don't have a storefront and do catering along with quite a few local events. I've heard good things, just haven't had a chance to try them.
histag10
AG
If we are throwing catering in too, there is also Buppys
Hornbeck

City Meat Market in Giddings

C&Js
Bullpen Chias
AG
While I think the C&J on Wellborn is average, the one out on HWY 30 can be very good.
Clucky
I was pretty disappointed Kreuz didn't make it here. I really liked their brisket and that sausage they had was a nice change from the usual. It can't be location that did them in - because Twin Peaks is packed all day long. Price may have been a factor but it's on par with Coopers. I guess people were turned off by the no forks and no sauce thing.

They tried to change toward the end, even had 2 meat specials, but it didn't make it.

I like all the above-named places and try to patronize each as often as possible!
woodiewood1
The best I get in the area is from 1775 BBQ and What's the Deal food trunk in North Bryan.

I don't consider Brenham and Giddings in Aggieland.

AggiePhil
AG
C&J has stepped up its game over the last couple years, due to the competition. It's better now.

I consider Rudy's and C&J to be squarely in the solid/passable category. Martin's and Fargo's too probably, though I rarely go due to their locations. 1775 is more of a "craft BBQ" place, which serves an important purpose but is nowhere near as accessible as the other spots (limited hours, runs out of meat, etc.). So there's room for everyone, IMO.

Oh, and it isn't in CS but Truth in Brenham is some of the very best BBQ I've ever had. Again though, it's more of an "experience" type place.
ElephantRider
AG
Rudy's is way better than C&J
El_duderino
The post 3 down from yours saying Rudy's is better than C&J's explains why Kreuz didn't make it.
TommyBrady
AG
Bretts Backyard in Rockdale is a good place to stop if traveling through the area.

1775 is best in BCS hands down

Rudys brisket breakfast tacos are actually pretty great btw
GeographyAg
AG
BQwolf05 said:

GeographyAg said:

We always default to C&J. It's always good and consistent and we enjoy their sides (with the exception of their green beans which are complexly, inexplicably, flavorless). Their Ranch Potatoes alone make it worth the stop.

Username checks out, added a separation of B/CS and close by.
LOL Thanks!

We don't live in CS, but we do own land there, and our daughter and her family live there, so we go often.

On topic:

We tried Kreuz and liked it the first time we went. The second time it was noticeably inferior, but we figured they were having an off day or something. The third time we went was on game day after an afternoon game. We brought friends from out of town - had a big group with us and expected to have to wait, but figured it was worth it if it was as good as it was the first time we went.

It was closed. On stinking GAME DAY IN AGGIELAND a BBQ place was closed before 5 pm!!

I knew then it would never make it. That's just poor management, imho.
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
ElephantRider
AG
El_duderino said:

The post 3 down from yours saying Rudy's is better than C&J's explains why Kreuz didn't make it.

I made that post, and I loved Kreuz and still curse the people of this town for them leaving. Rudy's is the definition of mediocre BBQ for me, C&J is just below that.
Maybe C&J has gotten better since the last time I went, but I thought it was garbage then
ag009
AG
I think What's The Deal is very underrated. Love it!
halibut sinclair
We went to What's tha Deal a while back and I'm pretty sure there was around 2 pounds of meat on each of our chopped beef sandwiches.
TXAG 05
AG
El_duderino said:

Rudy's IS better than C&J. Rudy's isn't the best in the world, but no one has ever claimed it was. But it is consistently good, and reasonably priced.
Bullpen Chias
AG
TXAG 05 said:

El_duderino said:

Rudy's IS better than C&J. Rudy's isn't the best in the world, but no one has ever claimed it was. But it is consistently good, and reasonably priced.

Maybe you're talking about the location on 30. But if Wellborn, I won't argue with you. In my mind the C&J on Wellborn and one on 30 are like two totally different restaurants.
KC_Ag14
AG
If you're going to include Truth in "Close By", might want to include LJ's BBQ in Brenham as well. Made Top 50 this year.
FlyRod
Anyone wax nostalgic for Tom's, Pop's, or Randy Sims? Man, Sims had the best sauce.

Been curious about What's the Deal, will check them out now!
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.