Property Tax Appraisals 2022

35,373 Views | 273 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rodan85
goatchze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

aggiepaintrain said:

I protested and won last year and got mine with everyone else

Same
I have never protested, still don't have my 2022.
jwhitlock3
Finally got our appraisal, increased 27.73% over last year. That is absolute insanity and much higher than all my neighbors. I protested last year and won, it's almost as if they're trying to teach me a lesson for protesting.

It's incredibly frustrating to spend so much time last year convincing the board that my home value is 10% lower, have them agree to it, and then have them come back the very next year and raise it 10 to 15% higher than everyone around me. This year I want to fight out of principle, but it won't save me any money, I'd have to reduce it 17% just to get to homestead cap, and they've already made it clear they don't hold onto any facts or information from the previous year.
iisanaggie
AG
Ours finally posted today. It went up 30%. My husband called a protest company, but they quit taking clients 2 weeks ago. That is frustrating since we just got it. They did say we could go ahead and sign up for next year.

I don't have all of the answers, but appraising and taxing people out of their homes will eventually hurt the reputation of Texas (overall) being an affordable place to live and raise a family.
AggiePlaya
AG
Mine also finally posted on web. Went from $259k to $306k
TexAg1987
Mine went up 25% overall.

Land didn't change a dime.
House went up 36.8% !

Capped at 10% so I'd have to get it down 15% before I started to see any savings and the recent houses sold in our neighborhood aren't going to make it easy to do that. Probably going to have to suck it up and hope they get back down closer to normal before next year and I have to pay another 10%.
happyinBCS
like I have been saying we all hate the increase from a tax point of view, but we live in a state that taxes based on real property values so either we change the law or sell the property for more than its taxable value and move to a different lower tax state
woodiewood1
iisanaggie said:

Ours finally posted today. It went up 30%. My husband called a protest company, but they quit taking clients 2 weeks ago. That is frustrating since we just got it. They did say we could go ahead and sign up for next year.

I don't have all of the answers, but appraising and taxing people out of their homes will eventually hurt the reputation of Texas (overall) being an affordable place to live and raise a family.
Get a real estate agent to pull comps for you house and go and protest yourself.

We brag about no state income tax, but I talk to a lot of people that move here or buy student housing here and they are shocked about how high our property taxes are.

iisanaggie
AG
We have someone to do that, but my husband was hoping to have someone else do all the work this year. He protests ours every year just on principle.
lockett93
AG
Is it worth it to protest if your valuation went up 32% and you can't argue it below the 10% homestead cap? I was thinking to wait until next year to protest….
EBrazosAg
AG
But next year you will be arguing the next increase. You accepted the 32%. They look at failure to appeal as consent.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
NateDog
AG
Got a settlement offer reducing total appraised value by $10k. "HS Cap Loss" shows $18k, so the final assessed value wouldn't actually change, is that correct?

Should I accept the offer? $10k is better than nothing, but it would still leave me the highest (per square foot of living area) of my neighbors either side and across the street. Could do the same protest next year I suppose with the same justification.
Law361
AG
I'm in the same boat. I've got the smallest house on my street which means my price/sqft is higher than everyone else's. But even if I get them to appraise my house at an average price/sqft for my neighborhood, my appraised value is still $10,000 more than my homestead cap. I understand protesting on principle, but if that doesn't carry over year to year, what's the point?
TexAg1987
exactly. We protested last year. House went up 36% this year. No way we are going to get it below the 10% cap.

We will protest again when we can benefit from it. It is based on actual comps and shouldn't matter if you protested last year or not.
threecatcorner
And it has trickled down apparently. Got lease renewal offer and rent is going up a lot more than normal (but less than it would probably e if they sold and we had to deal with new property owners as landlords). Guessing their property value went up and they passed it along.
dallasiteinsa02
I went and talked to them about my property. They didn't base it on comps that sold but their valuation of like properties. That is completely faulty circular logic.
threecatcorner
Looked up where we live and looks like their taxes and property value didn't go up insanely from last year, but I think that has happened some years.

The values just generally seem to be insane.

Guessing here they decided they wanted to make all the rents the same instead of having people who've been here a long time (me) pay less than new tenants. Every previous year, rent has only increased by $10 or $20 a month (none at all the first time we renewed). Definitely not pleased it's gone up significantly more this time (mostly because if the same amount of increase happens next year or they sell to somebody who decides to double it, I have no idea where I'd magically get the extra money).

I don't get how people can buy here (costs are high, people pay above the listed amount, and you can't even count on the tax staying there same because the value can skyrocket), but rent isn't exactly cheap here either.

Aside from the fact that the neighborhood went downhill (why we moved), I wish our old place where the landlord never raised our rent the entire time we lived there (multiple years, but can't remember how many).
threecatcorner
dallasiteinsa02 said:

I went and talked to them about my property. They didn't base it on comps that sold but their valuation of like properties. That is completely faulty circular logic.
Their value is based on their value? So none of them have to relate to any actual value (what something is bought, sold, or listed for)? They can just make up random numbers and each one justifies another one? That's messed up.
BiochemAg97
AG
threecatcorner said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

Their value is based on their value? So none of them have to relate to any actual value (what something is bought, sold, or listed for)? They can just make up random numbers and each one justifies another one? That's messed up.

There are two ways to protest. 1) based on your value is higher than your neighbors (with adjustments) 2) based on sales comps.

Texas doesn't require sales data to be submitted to the appraisal district so they don't really have much of that data to value your house. A realtor can get that data for you and you can use to protest. It is kinda crazy that all that data is easily accessible to realtors (and appraiser for the bank) but the appraisal district can't access it.
Tom Cardy
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

threecatcorner said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

There are two ways to protest. 1) based on your value is higher than your neighbors (with adjustments) 2) based on sales comps.

Texas doesn't require sales data to be submitted to the appraisal district so they don't really have much of that data to value your house. A realtor can get that data for you and you can use to protest. It is kinda crazy that all that data is easily accessible to realtors (and appraiser for the bank) but the appraisal district can't access it.

In many cases, the actual sale value in the last year is significantly higher than appraised. If you're like me and bought back in August, you have to either take the big bump in appraised value or give the actual sale price, which is way higher than appraised. Feels like there isn't a way to win in that situation
BiochemAg97
AG
Kick-R said:

BiochemAg97 said:

threecatcorner said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

In many cases, the actual sale value in the last year is significantly higher than appraised. If you're like me and bought back in August, you have to either take the big bump in appraised value or give the actual sale price, which is way higher than appraised. Feels like there isn't a way to win in that situation

You win by taking the appraised value that is lower than what you paid for the house realizing that you are lucky they didn't appraise it for what you paid.
Mumbo Jimbo
ARB was today

BCAD value was $50k more than the market grid they use to determine value, wth??

ARB lowered my value $50k in about 90 seconds
coconuthead
Question: I live in a neighborhood where all of the houses have been built recently. When I was looking at the home values on my street / nearby streets, some of the homes (which are completed homes, completed before but within a year of ours) have MUCH lower values than our home. I'm talking $50-75 less per square foot less than our home.

Any reasonable explanation before this before I try to use them as comps for a protest?
brownandred
coconuthead said:

Question: I live in a neighborhood where all of the houses have been built recently. When I was looking at the home values on my street / nearby streets, some of the homes (which are completed homes, completed before but within a year of ours) have MUCH lower values than our home. I'm talking $50-75 less per square foot less than our home.

Any reasonable explanation before this before I try to use them as comps for a protest?

you might as well wait until your house and all comps are 2 years old, and I think you missed the deadline already
coconuthead
Can you explain why we would wait until they are two years old?

We got our appraisal later, so our deadline is later.
brownandred
new builds won't have their full value posted until year 2.

You can still file a protest but your data points may be inaccurate and they will happily educate you
duffelpud
AG
My wife protested the appraised value on a house she owns in College Station. The settlement offer came in today $12,000 higher than the original appraisal! WTF?
"What's this button do?"
BryanAggie2013
AG
Went in for my protest hearing.

Didn't have to make it to the board, sat with the appraiser, and got ~20K knocked off the appraisal.

Did wait an hour and a half between getting there at my scheduled appointment time and actually talking with someone though. They told me "we do ask that you block off at least 2 hours for this" but they didn't mention that until I was at the registration desk.
maddiedou
AG
threecatcorner said:

And it has trickled down apparently. Got lease renewal offer and rent is going up a lot more than normal (but less than it would probably e if they sold and we had to deal with new property owners as landlords). Guessing their property value went up and they passed it along.

This is correct. I went before the board and had a discount of 10 percent of the appraised amount and this was on a 4 plus mill evaluation

And even though it was reduced value still was higher and property tax will be higher by 15,000 which I now have to pass on and I hate that more than you can even know
rodan85
AG
duffelpud said:

My wife protested the appraised value on a house she owns in College Station. The settlement offer came in today $12,000 higher than the original appraisal! WTF?
Mine came in with no change.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.