Property Tax Appraisals 2022

35,390 Views | 273 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rodan85
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If they want to raise property taxes to get close to matching actual market then ok but then they either need to:

a) lower the tax rate substantially

or

b) put in caps for annual increases (maybe a number between inflation and 10% or so)

There is just no way a lot of home owners can sustain this kind of taxation.
hopeandrealchange
All the talk about the 10% maximum does not apply to my rental homes. I will be communicating with my tenants to let them know why their rents are going to be going up once their current lease expires. The more folks are educated the sooner this insanity will no longer be accepted.
If they drop the tax rates I will eat my words.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Mine went up 102.38%. Out in Millican. Navasota School District.
trackaggie76
AG
There is a chance the HS exemption will be increased to $40K as well
Anna Molly
trackaggie76 said:

Only if you vote that in! Today, May 3, is the LAST DAY for early voting. Election Day is Saturday for the constitutional amendments relating to property taxes and exemptions.

http://www.brazosvotes.org/node/203
BCS-Ag
happyinBCS said:

Just FYI to save you a phone call last year was my first OA65 exemption year and the tax amount went up this year so I immediately called and they take the lowest of the first 2 years and that is frozen from now on. So I am frozen at about 35% lower than now some of my friends that are 75 are frozen at about 85% so as time goes by the savings become greater
Meaning the difference gets passed along to those under 65. The senior tax freeze is an ever increasing contributor to the reason why cities can justify not lowering the tax rate as property values go up.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
What is this maximum 10% increase? Looks like most on here saw more than 10%.
cavscout96
AG
KidDoc said:

25% wheee!

(400ish to 570ish Pebble Creek)

My awesome wife has already submitted a challenge through a firm that does that kind of thing.

KD..... 170/400 is 42.5%

did you mis-type or is it actually up that much?
SARATOGA
I protested every year for 5-6 years. They got sick of seeing my face. I called today and they just said "some aren't uploaded yet" and they are doing a staggered approach in releasing (probably because they are going to have so many protesting). But you have 30 days from the receipt/postmark of your letter to file your protest.

She also said that I'd get it in the mail before it was posted online. Because that is exactly how efficient government offices like this are, where somehow the mail is faster than the internet ?!?!

Government is a waste of taxpayer money. - R. Swanson.

In any case turnover is every 5 years or so. If they just went on home sales and locked them in then they'd still get their money and we wouldn't have this massive issue. Yes, some people stay in a house 20 years or more, but that is RARE.

The only thing that matters is what a house will sell for in a market of buyers and sellers. If it's not for sale, then its a pointless discussion. I won't even answer that question.

"What do you think your home would sell for ?"

- It is not for sale, so it is pointless to guess.

THEY ARE TAXING PEOPLE OUT OF THEIR HOMES !
SARATOGA
Its like if you go to Koppe Bridge and you order a burger basket and its $12

But then you go to pick it up at the window and they say, that will be another $2

People buy the most home they can afford (its the American way). So that is what the budget is built on. I can afford X in house payment, Y in car payment, and Z in whatever and so on....

And yet the House is going up at $1000 per year for some people..... thats junk.
happyinBCS
my brother lives in southern California he sold his home that he had lived in for 41 years his taxes were about 2600 a year (1% of value when bought) sold it for 850K so the buyers will pay 8500 a year going forward yes it is the left coast and they have a state income tax but when the gain is realized the larger tax is paid, here if you live in your home for 40 years the value increases yearly just like out there but here you pay the higher tax on the gain without realizing any gain there should be a better way
jwhitlock3
SARATOGA said:

I protested every year for 5-6 years. They got sick of seeing my face. I called today and they just said "some aren't uploaded yet" and they are doing a staggered approach in releasing (probably because they are going to have so many protesting). But you have 30 days from the receipt/postmark of your letter to file your protest.
Staggered approach that seems to only be staggered for those that protested? Seems a bit questionable to me, glad you called though and thanks for updating us.
SARATOGA
Just to be clear, I protested every year for 5-6 years, but haven't protested in 3-4 years since that run of protests (because in the last 3-4 years I haven't needed to protest).
KidDoc
AG
cavscout96 said:

KidDoc said:

25% wheee!

(400ish to 570ish Pebble Creek)

My awesome wife has already submitted a challenge through a firm that does that kind of thing.

KD..... 170/400 is 42.5%

did you mis-type or is it actually up that much?
It went from 400kish to 570kish so up 170.

On a positive note if my house value goes up > 100k a year I guess I don't need to worry about retirement funds right? haha
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SARATOGA
The new buyers have a different budget, and they can choose to buy or not based upon sales price. California has lots of problems, but that isn't one of them Property tax revenue doesn't go into state coffers, just local. So California being in massive debt isn't related to Propery tax appraisal lockage. I don't see a downside.

and 41 years is extremely rare. Like I mentioned before, average turnover is much shorter timeframe.
BiochemAg97
AG
SARATOGA said:

She also said that I'd get it in the mail before it was posted online. Because that is exactly how efficient government offices like this are, where somehow the mail is faster than the internet ?!?!

In any case turnover is every 5 years or so. If they just went on home sales and locked them in then they'd still get their money and we wouldn't have this massive issue. Yes, some people stay in a house 20 years or more, but that is RARE.

The only thing that matters is what a house will sell for in a market of buyers and sellers. If it's not for sale, then its a pointless discussion. I won't even answer that question.

Tax = valuation * rate.

Tax increase is capped without going to voters.
Valuation increase is capped with homestead.
Arguments that both of those caps could/should be lowered.

In my experience, most taxing entities will cut the rate to stay just under the cap that would require voter approval.

Would you feel better if the valuation was fixed but the rate increased every year to just under the cap? I don't know. If I stay in my house for >5 years, then fixing the valuation and increasing the rate probably shifts tax burden from me to everyone else.

On the other hand, I think fixing the valuation will cause people to stay put and not move into a new house ~5 years.
happyinBCS
for some reason they are leaving commercial properties alone, very little if any increase over the last 10 years I know of one property that has a market value 400% more than it is valued at on BCAD
KidDoc
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

SARATOGA said:

Tax = valuation * rate.

In my experience, most taxing entities will cut the rate to stay just under the cap that would require voter approval.

Would you feel better if the valuation was fixed but the rate increased every year to just under the cap? I don't know. If I stay in my house for >5 years, then fixing the valuation and increasing the rate probably shifts tax burden from me to everyone else.

On the other hand, I think fixing the valuation will cause people to stay put and not move into a new house ~5 years.
Do you happen to have a link to the homestead cap rule? We only own this single property so it is of course always been homestead but they are not limiting the increases by any means over the last two years. Last year we contested and got it way down but still a decent increase.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
woodiewood1
Mine was up 14.5% but still $48,000 below two Refi appraisals done last December....probably $60,000 below now.

woodiewood1
KidDoc said:

BiochemAg97 said:

SARATOGA said:

Tax = valuation * rate.

Do you happen to have a link to the homestead cap rule? We only own this single property so it is of course always been homestead but they are not limiting the increases by any means over the last two years. Last year we contested and got it way down but still a decent increase.
https://hayscad.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/HOMESTEAD-VALUE-CAP.pdf
KidDoc
AG
I see the exemption now that I'm home and looking at the form.

ShinerBlonde
AG
Anna Molly said:

trackaggie76 said:

Only if you vote that in! Today, May 3, is the LAST DAY for early voting. Election Day is Saturday for the constitutional amendments relating to property taxes and exemptions.

http://www.brazosvotes.org/node/203

Voted today. Thanks for the reminder!
woodiewood1
happyinBCS said:

for some reason they are leaving commercial properties alone, very little if any increase over the last 10 years I know of one property that has a market value 400% more than it is valued at on BCAD
I have noticed that. Does anyone know why?
drred4
Taxing on unrealized capital gaines, is what it is

CatPit1
Once the taxing entities (ISD, City, County) see the finalized values, is it possible that they will realize a forthcoming Tsunami of cash (exceeding their wildest dreams) and magically lower their rates, so that our 2022 tax bills won't be so high! Honest question.
hopeandrealchange
CatPit1 said:

Once the taxing entities (ISD, City, County) see the finalized values, is it possible that they will realize a forthcoming Tsunami of cash (exceeding their wildest dreams) and magically lower their rates, so that our 2022 tax bills won't be so high! Honest question.

I truly think they will. If not they will have a revolt on their hands.
tb9665
One problem is that more people will start to rent. Does not matter income. Than yards etc. will start to go down. Why take care if anything when renting no matter what house price.
histag10
AG
tb9665 said:

One problem is that more people will start to rent. Does not matter income. Than yards etc. will start to go down. Why take care if anything when renting no matter what house price.

Most leases either stipulate that the landlord takes care of lawn maintenance, or the tenant will be responsible for it, and any fines incurred due to negligence.
George Costanza
Not sure about BISD, but the CSISD tax rate has decreased every year since 2018.
woodiewood1
CatPit1 said:

Good luck. Governments and school districts will neve quench their thirst for OPM. They will always find pet projects that the citizens need.

We need a Texas constitutional amendment that the total tax revenues from existing properties by each local government and school system entity cannot increase annually more than the COL.

BiochemAg97
AG
happyinBCS said:

my brother lives in southern California he sold his home that he had lived in for 41 years his taxes were about 2600 a year (1% of value when bought) sold it for 850K so the buyers will pay 8500 a year going forward yes it is the left coast and they have a state income tax but when the gain is realized the larger tax is paid, here if you live in your home for 40 years the value increases yearly just like out there but here you pay the higher tax on the gain without realizing any gain there should be a better way

That assumes people aren't realizing that gain. It was pretty common in Cali to do a cash out refi every couple years, especially when values were climbing like crazy.

Cali prop tax policy of basically freezing taxes when you purchased encourages people to stay in the homes forever. Just moving into a similar home after a few years would spike your tax payments. Eventually you are stuck because you couldn't afford the property taxes on a new home even though you had a million dollar gain on your current home.

JohnD`05
Bad Poster said:

East bryan towards steep hollow
We live off Steep Hollow and home valuation went up 39% as well.
kraut
AG
woodiewood1 said:

CatPit1 said:

Good luck. Governments and school districts will neve quench their thirst for OPM. They will always find pet projects that the citizens need.

We need a Texas constitutional amendment that the total tax revenues from existing properties by each local government and school system entity cannot increase annually more than the COL.

The law passed a couple of years ago did this, right?

My understanding is that the revenue collected by a city from property taxes cannot go up more than 3.5% from the previous year without asking the voters for more than that percentage. I think school districts may be limited to 2.5%, but don't quote me on that.

This means if all of our appraisals went up 10% from last year (assuming majority took the homestead exemption), the cities, county and school districts have to lower the tax rate in order to comply with the 2.5-3.5% cap.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Appraisal district is already factoring in the new $40k homestead exception will be passed.
Let's hope it does
Clucky
So what do you do when you protest? In the past I protested, but back then the comps were on my side. Now, any comparable homes that have sold in my neighborhood are going to be through the roof and my only defense, I feel, is "I don't want to pay that".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.