Property Tax Appraisals 2022

35,378 Views | 273 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rodan85
jwhitlock3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SARATOGA said:

Mine still says N/A, even for the rates.

I'm not excited for bad news, but I shouldn't have to wait for bad news, that is worse....
I am the same with N/A in every box, and I just checked the mail and no letter yet either. We are the only house on our street without a value posted for 2022.
dstarr6442
AG
Up 35k, 19% increase in Southwood Valley. Just bought the house last June for 13k less than what it's appraised at now. I unfortunately filed the homestead exemption too late as well. I gotta figure out how I'm going to protest it, as I have a few cards to play. I have the homestead exemption getting filed late, but able to backtrack it 2 years due to the new law. The house also has the garage added to the square footage (about 500 sq ft) from previous owners before it was remodeled and the livable space in the garage removed. And I can just share what I actually paid for it. Any advice?
kyledr04
AG
I looked at my old house in Duck Haven out of curiosity. It went up 24%. Wow.
howapi
AG
Yep, 24.2% here in Duck Haven.
Bunk Moreland
Up 23% and could sell it easily for another 25% higher than the new appraised value. This shouldn't be a shocker to anyone paying attention to the real estate market.
Hammerheadjim
AG
Hmm,
I thought current state law capped annual increases at 10%. Unless it was a new purchase or a commercial property?

Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
Bunk Moreland
Not the value, just the increase you can be taxed at.
histag10
AG
12k increase, 11%
woodiewood1
Mine's up 14.6 % but still $50,000 below two refi appraisals made last December. Probably $60,000+ below now.

Mathguy64
AG
Up exactly 10%. Wash rinse repeat.
AggiePlaya
AG
jwhitlock3 said:

SARATOGA said:

I'm not excited for bad news, but I shouldn't have to wait for bad news, that is worse....
I am the same with N/A in every box, and I just checked the mail and no letter yet either. We are the only house on our street without a value posted for 2022.
Did yall protest appraisal in years past? I'm trying to figure out if there is a pattern on the N/As. One of my neighbors and I have the N/A and we both protested the last couple of years
jwhitlock3
Yeah I protested last year and was successful in dropping it about 10%. Interesting if that's a common thread between the ones that don't have values.
Bad Poster
Assessed value went up 39.6%. What do I win?
histag10
AG
Bad Poster said:

Some good Ole government bend over and take it.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Assessed value went up 39.6%
What neighborhood? Did everyone else around you see similar increases?

Only 1 house on my street had an increase over 10% (Castlegate). Just trying to figure out why some areas are seeing large increases.
Bad Poster
East bryan towards steep hollow
RGRAg1/75
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Up 23% and could sell it easily for another 25% higher than the new appraised value. This shouldn't be a shocker to anyone paying attention to the real estate market.

If you haven't purchased in the last couple of months, it should not matter. Up 26% this year it appears. Over 75% since we closed in Dec 2012. Until I sell it, none of that gain is realized. If I decide or need to sell it in 2 years and the market has crashed and I get what I paid for it back in 2012, then what?

It's no different than the proposals suggesting taxation of unrealized gains in retirement accounts. If I haven't realized the appreciation of the asset, wtf does it matter? You're talking about a mortgage payment (our taxes and insurance are escrowed) going up over $600/mo since we closed the loan. That could price some folks out of their own home, which is just ludicrous.
hopeandrealchange
Bad Poster said:

A tube of lubricant.
MTTANK
AG
howapi said:

Yep, 24.2% here in Duck Haven.

Also 24% in Duck Haven
GIG 'EM
PS3D
I heard both Williamson and Hays spiked up to something like 45%. It's crazy.
ukbb2003
Up 22% in Southwood valley.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Question

On a new build homestead that was roughly 60% built by Jan 1 and completely done by May 1 can I expect any caps going forward?

Let's say the tax value has come in at $300k for discussions purposes.
dallasiteinsa02
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Question

On a new build homestead that was roughly 60% built by Jan 1 and completely done by May 1 can I expect any caps going forward?

Let's say the tax value has come in at $300k for discussions purposes.
They will appraise it based upon Jan 1 of the following year. It will be uncapped for that year. Then the following year, the 10% caps will come into play.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Thank you.

So then obviously that means I really better argue for and prepare a case to get and keep that initial value down as much as possible.
dallasiteinsa02
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Thank you.

So then obviously that means I really better argue for and prepare a case to get and keep that initial value down as much as possible.

They can tell you now what they anticipate the value to be in today's appraisals. I would note that number. It gives you a basis, yes uncapped basis, for discussion with them next year.

Say your home is forecasted to be worth $300,000 in 2022 values. You get to 2023 and your neighborhood is up $15%. Your home should be valued at $345,000, but they come back at $375,000. It gives you a talking point. May not work but it gives you something.
goatchze
AG
AggiePlaya said:

jwhitlock3 said:

SARATOGA said:

Did yall protest appraisal in years past? I'm trying to figure out if there is a pattern on the N/As. One of my neighbors and I have the N/A and we both protested the last couple of years
I've never protested. The only thing about me and the one other house in my neighborhood with the N/A is we have different "Class Codes" on our houses. We are both RF# (i.e. siding) while every other house is RV# (i.e. brick/stone veneer).

I believe the CAD uses an equation to calculate the valuation (though I don't know exactly what the equation is), and the "Class Code" is a factor in the equation, something along the lines of value per square foot.

So Main Area = 2,000 sq ft of RV5=150 would lead to 2,000*150=$300,000 of value for that portion of the improvement. Then you add on porches, attached garages etc., using a similar equation (factor times square footage). Sum them all up, then multiply the total by a "neighborhood factor". Something along those lines.

My only guess is they haven't determined that "factor" in my neighborhood since the two N/As are outliers with a different Class Code from all the other houses.
CatPit1
We'll all have to sell-out to the fleeing Californians, because those will be the only folks left with sufficient money to pay these exorbitant property taxes. I agree with others that annual increases should be limited to steady inflation rates. The government is more than happy to take and spend other people's moneyā€¦.that sure is a nice City Hall y'all got over there in CS!
hopeandrealchange
I look forward to the revolt if The tax rate in Brazos county is not lowered.
I don't think a drunken sailor could waste that much money year over year.
Law361
AG
Mine is still marked NA and I have the same type of construction as my neighbors. My house is the smallest on the block, so maybe they are busy calculating a lower value for me?
BluHorseShu
AG
What in the H E double hockey sticks are they thinking!!? Mine went up 28% in Memorial Forest. Looks like 3rd child may not be going to college
KidDoc
AG
25% wheee!

(400ish to 570ish Pebble Creek)

My awesome wife has already submitted a challenge through a firm that does that kind of thing.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiepaintrain
AG
KidDoc said:

25% wheee!

(400ish to 570ish Pebble Creek)

My awesome wife has already submitted a challenge through a firm that does that kind of thing.

what firm? keep in mind, you'll have to pay them even if your bill does not go down I believeā€¦.Due to the 10% rule, if they get the increase down to 15%, your bill won't change but I bet you owe them something, you will have to protest every year and pay them.

It's all a racket.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I was about to get on here and ***** about mine, but it only went up 15.1%. Guess i should rejoice and thank my tax overlords for being so benevolent.
jwhitlock3
Law361 said:

Mine is still marked NA and I have the same type of construction as my neighbors. My house is the smallest on the block, so maybe they are busy calculating a lower value for me?

Mine is also the same Class/construction, and we aren't the smallest house on the street. Our efforts to find something in common for the N/A aren't going well it seems.

Edit: can anyone point me to where I can find more info on the living class codes found in the appraisal? Ex: RF4 vs RV4 vs RV4P vs RV5
trackaggie76
AG
Market value on my home went up almost $100K . The appraised value went up the maximum of 10%

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.