Property Tax Appraisals 2022

35,394 Views | 273 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rodan85
George Costanza
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The law of unintended consequences always wins out.

One of the reasons home prices in California are so high is that taxes are frozen at the amount they are at when you buy the home …. which causes people not to sell their home which then results in very little inventory which then results in higher prices.
BiochemAg97
AG
George Costanza said:

The law of unintended consequences always wins out.

One of the reasons home prices in California are so high is that taxes are frozen at the amount they are at when you buy the home …. which causes people not to sell their home which then results in very little inventory which then results in higher prices.

The inability to build new homes is another factor.
RGRAg1/75
AG
91_Aggie said:

RGRAg1/75 said:

cavscout96 said:

BrazosWifi said:

I hate taxes as much as the next guy but isn't all this appraisal hand-wringing focused on the wrong thing?

The value assigned to my house and property in CAD is close to market.
If you were to sell your house, what would the sale price be? I'll bet it is for more than the CAD appraisal.

Focus your efforts on the local government that doesn't lower their tax rate when appraisals go up.

When I was on the Kurten City Council, we lowered our rate each year to keep the same total dollar budget.
this... and demand more accountability on what the budget line items actually are and how decisions are made re: how that money is allocated and spent.
While true, the post you replied to is off. While keeping your annual budget flat briefs well, it just doesn't work in a high-growth area.

That being said, your point on transparency of the the prioritization and spend plan is dead on. The Greens Prairie debacle is a perfect example I will be living through for the next couple of years it seems. Very small scale and very common sense project, yet our appropriators ****** it up royally. Will cost more $$ in the long run, and be an ass pain to all us tax payers that use it.

I just think taxing property on the current appraised value and that going up each year is the problem.
I don't get anything for my house being appraised higher (I guess maybe I could a bigger home equity loan), but until I sell it, I don't see the "gain" on the house, but I have to pay taxes on that gain each year even if it does me no good until that time.

Agree wholeheartedly. I was just saying the poster who said keeping a flat budget like they did/do in Kurten does not work in a growth area like B/CS. Adding rooftops just isn't enough.

I also don't like the way the current system can potentially price folks out of their own home. The 10% annual increase cap is far too high. Should be 2.2% (or less) per national inflation avg, or similar. When a sale occurs, CAD can adjust to true market vs making a WAG at market.
waterchick
I remember people talking about the implications of Prop 13 in CA growing up but didn't appreciate what was happening (being more interested in Barbies, The Mall, and Tiger Beat). I think, but I could be wrong, that home prices really inflated with the "dot com boom" but I have wondered if Prop 13 didn't alter real estate market prices. Definitely looking at property taxes and home values differently now as a homeowner in TX vs. growing up in CA after Prop 13. (And for the record I have been in TX a LONG time so I'm not trying to "California your Texas." )

I did find this link that I thought was interesting: http://www.californiataxdata.com/pdf/Prop13.pdf that answered some of my questions.

Carry on. Just musing.
woodiewood1
75AG said:

Lots of reasons housing prices in Texas are exploding. Californians moving here might play a small role.
I agree. I suspect that the California migration affect is minimal at this point in time. Home prices are way up across the country including NYC. I doubt that many are moving from CA to NYC.

Prices are up due to people having more money, many more retirees with money, although going up, interest rates are historically low, labor and transportation costs of materials and the lack of materials. Waiting months for materials and appliances to finish out a home will drive the prices up.

In fact homes are going up in developed countries worldwide. In the town where my dad grew up in Australia, everyone on their Facebook forum are commenting on the great rise in home prices and the lack of building materials.

"GYMPIE INFORMATION, ADVICE AND DISCUSSIONS

People who have built houses in the last year. I need your help. What rough price are people paying nowadays for a new build. I know building expenses have gone up a lotttttt but I don't think they have doubled and more.
I have a friend who built a 4 brm home 5 years ago roughly $170,000 (slab home)and that covered pretty much everything including tanks and sewerage. But I've just been quoted $380,000 for a small 3 brm home with deck. Yes it's a suspended flooring which is more, but has it really gone up that much?? Wanting to hear from people that have built recently to know the rough ball park. Feeling deflated.
  • Yes about $1600 a sq. Built 5 years ago and building again now. Prices have risen lots. Demand is high materials supply is short."
happyinBCS
D day for Brazos co in less than 12 hours it is Friday where are the 2022 numbers???
happyinBCS
they waiting to 5 oclock
CS78
Need a state law that the yearly increase in property tax proceeds can not exceed that year's federal inflation numbers. Would force locals to chew back their rates when values skyrocket. But still allow increases to cover inflation cost for the county.
spike427
AG
happyinBCS said:

D day for Brazos co in less than 12 hours it is Friday where are the 2022 numbers???

A family member asked them and they said 2022 values would be mailed by Tuesday the 3rd. I'd be shocked if the website was updated today. Happily shocked, but shocked.
happyinBCS
looks like they won't , I called same old oh we have so many problems Harris co posted 2 weeks ago and they are20 times the size of this county
dallasiteinsa02
They are required to provide them by April 1st or as soon as possible after. That second part they take to an extreme in Brazos County.
histag10
AG
They have at least updated the website to include a line for 2022, it just says NA all the way across. Wonder if that means they have started uploading, or plan on batch posting it right at 5
spike427
AG
They've had 2022 available like that for months. Once the values are live, the year will default to 2022 instead of 2021. I usually keep up with them and other years they have been more prompt for sure!
histag10
AG
I don't remember seeing that when I last looked on there (last week) oh well.
MiMi
S
Quote:

They've had 2022 available like that for months.
Yep, I am on the site Brazos CAD pretty regularly and can confirm the '2022 NA' row has been up for quite a while.
woodiewood1
Property tax increases should go up no more annually than the cost of living for the previous year. Government entities need to exist in the same economic situation as homeowners do.

oklaunion
The CS mayor won't be able to sleep for a week after the numbers become public due to overexcitement. Those who live within the city need to keep that bunch in check when the taxing rate is up for debate. That ole " well, we didn't go up on the rates " isn't going to fly this year.

Add: The county appraiser was on KBTX last night and said average increase was 15%.
histag10
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Property tax increases should go up no more annually than the cost of living for the previous year. Government entities need to exist in the same economic situation as homeowners do.

Well if that's the case, taxes this year year may straight up kill me lol. cost of living has increased so much this past year, it's ridiculous.
Flatlander
oklaunion said:

Add: The county appraiser was on KBTX last night and said average increase was 15%.

Given that the homestead cap is 10%, that is a very large average increase.
txxwildcard
Just previewed my incoming mail for today and BCAD 2022 letters will be here today!
happyinBCS
same with me, I also sent an e mail to them and said how can counties like Harris and Travis many times larger than us follow the law and post there's weeks ago and Brazos can't ?? it is ridiculous
MiMi
S
Quote:

Just previewed my incoming mail for today and BCAD 2022 letters will be here today!
Mine is in today's mail too.
Rex Racer
AG
MiMi said:

Quote:

Mine is in today's mail too.
Mine, too. Along with some other letter that says "Your property taxes are increasing 29%!" on the envelope.
SARATOGA
Still

Not

Posted
happyinBCS
THEY ARE POSTED mine is up 13%
gigem92
AG
Same here. 13% (Castlegate)
aggiemom89
Up 12 % in Bryan
kraut
AG
14% increase
jello123
Burleson county... My home on 1 acre up 113%!!!!!!
ooshwa
Staff
AG
up 23%
The Anchor
AG
Up 27% in Greenbrier

Homestead cap at 10%
AG
+16.7% for my renal property. Still below market but not by much.
MiMi
S
9.6% increase (Castlegate)
aggiepaintrain
AG
25% pebble creek
spike427
AG
Over 18%. I actually snorted when I read that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.