Property Tax Appraisals 2022

35,385 Views | 273 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rodan85
saturn135
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I will go ahead and start this thread for the year. Burleson County just posted tax appraisals for 2022. My home just went up 100k and land 12k in value..mind you, I live in a 2300 sq house on 2 acres. Thank God for the homestead cap! My HS cap loss is 79k, there is no way for me to protest this year to make a difference in the end. I feel for the investment or 2nd home properties who can not claim HS exemption...Im sure this increase will be passed on to the renters. Get ready Brazos County, no one will be able to afford to buy or rent.
aneisch
AG
The appraised value on my parent's place in Montgomery increased by 300k. Brazos County hasn't posted 2022 valuations yet but I'm expecting something absurd.
turfman80
AG
It will be up to the taxing entities to now lower their tax rates to avoid a huge windfall of excess income, showing they can operate on the current years budget, and prevent their constituents from being slammed by a huge new dollar burden.

I kid....
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
mhnatt
As always, post in % please.
woodiewood1
turfman80 said:

It will be up to the taxing entities to now lower their tax rates to avoid a huge windfall of excess income, showing they can operate on the current years budget, and prevent their constituents from being slammed by a huge new dollar burden.

I kid....
Ha! Ha! Government will never quench their thirst for OPM. Never.
AgProgrammer
AG
22.8% overall increase in Grimes County. 12% overall jump last year and 16% the year before that. I can already hear the appraiser when I go in to protest…"we increased everyone's value across the county the same. Our valuation for build quality and type of home construction is set in the system to be the same for everyone." It's fair because we stuck it to everyone the same. What a crock.
saturn135
35% increase
duffelpud
AG
Our Burleson County acreage appraised value is up 22.5% over the prior year and 313.25% over ten years. The biggest jump came in 2017 when it increased by 72%.
"What's this button do?"
BrazosWifi
I hate taxes as much as the next guy but isn't all this appraisal hand-wringing focused on the wrong thing?

The value assigned to my house and property in CAD is close to market.
If you were to sell your house, what would the sale price be? I'll bet it is for more than the CAD appraisal.

Focus your efforts on the local government that doesn't lower their tax rate when appraisals go up.

When I was on the Kurten City Council, we lowered our rate each year to keep the same total dollar budget.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
cavscout96
AG
BrazosWifi said:

I hate taxes as much as the next guy but isn't all this appraisal hand-wringing focused on the wrong thing?

If you were to sell your house, what would the sale price be? I'll bet it is for more than the CAD appraisal.

Focus your efforts on the local government that doesn't lower their tax rate when appraisals go up.

When I was on the Kurten City Council, we lowered our rate each year to keep the same total dollar budget.
this... and demand more accountability on what the budget line items actually are and how decisions are made re: how that money is allocated and spent.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Here's your annual reminder to protest it if you have a problem with it. There's nothing more frustrating than going in to protest and hearing "well one problem is none of your neighbors protested and they are all around the same value as you. ".
BiochemAg97
AG
turfman80 said:

I kid....
*avoid putting the rate to a taxpayer vote.
Mumbo Jimbo
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Here's your annual reminder to protest it if you have a problem with it. There's nothing more frustrating than going in to protest and hearing "well one problem is none of your neighbors protested and they are all around the same value as you. ".

My rebuttal would be they are rich and lazy now back to my problem
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Last year we were going to go in to protest since our Grimes County property has gone up 220% over the last 2 years (began with the sale of the property). He basically told me I was wasting my time and there would be nothing we could show that would make them change it. And he wasn't super nice in the communication of it, either. Crazy to me.
El_duderino
Burleson county here as well. 33% increase
jello123
Burleson county here.... increase 111%! Home more than doubled... property more than tripled.
happyinBCS
I called BCAD they said values will post on the 29th I can't wait LOL
philothea
Of course BCAD would post on a Friday before the weekend.
Mumbo Jimbo
philothea said:

Of course BCAD would post on a Friday before the weekend.

always
dallasiteinsa02
BCAD is always the last in the state to release numbers. it is like a badge of honor for them. All to justify that their data is so much more complicated than the rest of the state and they don't have the staff to manage it.

AgProgrammer
AG
AGGODDESS said:

Last year we were going to go in to protest since our Grimes County property has gone up 220% over the last 2 years (began with the sale of the property). He basically told me I was wasting my time and there would be nothing we could show that would make them change it. And he wasn't super nice in the communication of it, either. Crazy to me.

You and I are dealing with the same appraiser in Grimes County. I've gotten that same line three years in a row when I go in to protest. That and "with us being so close to College Station, the valuations are fair."
JeepWaveEarl
AG
I would be fine if the valuations were equitable. My next-door neighbor lets her house go to ****, has tall grass more often than not, and needs an exterior paint job.

She lives in triple the sq feet including two living structures, on twice the land, and is valued at 55% of what we are.

I asked about it and said "so you're telling me since we have pride in our home, we mow regularly, keep things tidy, and don't let it look abandoned we're at a detriment" and he legit goes "yep. that's tough, huh?."

That's the crap I don't understand.
aggiepaintrain
AG
unless there is state wide reform everyone in Texas is screwed, the good thing is that since Austin is the state capital and many of those in office live there, there's a chance for meaningful legislation sooner than later
dallasiteinsa02
I am beginning to think Texas should go to full disclosure. The little data they are getting and all the major modifications that they are making on the data they do get make for a bad result. Still, most are below the true market value for their home. I would prefer a system that is really accurate with significantly lower taxes across the board.

tb9665
Texas is turning into the next California with people moving from there to here.
GSS
Burleson county...35% increase on "Improvements" (the house) from 2021, a $79,000 increase. Acreage value didn't change, surprising since land prices are through the roof...
NRA Life
TSRA Life
histag10
AG
Mine went down 1500 last year. Chances that happens again?
75AG
AG
What does that to do with increased property values and taxes?
woodiewood1
cavscout96 said:

BrazosWifi said:

this... and demand more accountability on what the budget line items actually are and how decisions are made re: how that money is allocated and spent.
Government budgets could and probably should be trimmed 5% and made to live within their means as most families have to do at times.

RGRAg1/75
AG
cavscout96 said:

BrazosWifi said:

While true, the post you replied to is off. While keeping your annual budget flat briefs well, it just doesn't work in a high-growth area.

That being said, your point on transparency of the the prioritization and spend plan is dead on. The Greens Prairie debacle is a perfect example I will be living through for the next couple of years it seems. Very small scale and very common sense project, yet our appropriators ****** it up royally. Will cost more $$ in the long run, and be an ass pain to all us tax payers that use it.

waterchick
tb9665 said:

Texas is turning into the next California with people moving from there to here.
Ironically, many are moving due to the insanely high home prices there. My childhood home sold for over $600K nearly 20 years ago. It's over a million now. It's a 50 year old 3/2 patio home on a postage stamp size lot.
Rex Racer
AG
Several years ago, contractors hired by the City hit our house and knocked a hole in our brick. We ended up getting all new brick out of the deal, paid for by the City. The next year, since we had all new brick, our property value went up. So we're paying for that new brick one way or the other.
Smeghead4761
waterchick said:

tb9665 said:

Ironically, many are moving due to the insanely high home prices there. My childhood home sold for over $600K nearly 20 years ago. It's over a million now. It's a 50 year old 3/2 patio home on a postage stamp size lot.
The house my mom grew up in sold for $460k when my grandmother passed in 1999. 3/1, 1200 sq ft, built in 1949. Sold for $595k 3 years later. Current Zillow guess is $2.2 mil.

My parents bought their house in 1972 (built 1968) for $36k. 3/2, 1600 sq ft, on a slightly larger than normal lot. Similar houses near them have been going for $1.2 mil.

The problem with Californians moving to other states is twofold: 1, when they sell their house in California, they have a ton of cash if they lived in it for any length of time; and 2, they think the houses where they're moving are amazingly cheap, even if the locals think they're overpriced. All of which pushes the prices higher.
91_Aggie
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

cavscout96 said:

BrazosWifi said:

While true, the post you replied to is off. While keeping your annual budget flat briefs well, it just doesn't work in a high-growth area.

That being said, your point on transparency of the the prioritization and spend plan is dead on. The Greens Prairie debacle is a perfect example I will be living through for the next couple of years it seems. Very small scale and very common sense project, yet our appropriators ****** it up royally. Will cost more $$ in the long run, and be an ass pain to all us tax payers that use it.

I just think taxing property on the current appraised value and that going up each year is the problem.
I don't get anything for my house being appraised higher (I guess maybe I could a bigger home equity loan), but until I sell it, I don't see the "gain" on the house, but I have to pay taxes on that gain each year even if it does me no good until that time.
75AG
AG
Lots of reasons housing prices in Texas are exploding. Californians moving here might play a small role.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.