Property Tax Appraisals 2022

30,395 Views | 269 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by HighPriorityAg
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

happyinBCS said:

my brother lives in southern California he sold his home that he had lived in for 41 years his taxes were about 2600 a year (1% of value when bought) sold it for 850K so the buyers will pay 8500 a year going forward yes it is the left coast and they have a state income tax but when the gain is realized the larger tax is paid, here if you live in your home for 40 years the value increases yearly just like out there but here you pay the higher tax on the gain without realizing any gain there should be a better way


That assumes people aren't realizing that gain. It was pretty common in Cali to do a cash out refi every couple years, especially when values were climbing like crazy.

Cali prop tax policy of basically freezing taxes when you purchased encourages people to stay in the homes forever. Just moving into a similar home after a few years would spike your tax payments. Eventually you are stuck because you couldn't afford the property taxes on a new home even though you had a million dollar gain on your current home.


That is not a realized gain. That is borrowing against an anticipated gain. A gain is not realized until the asset changes hands.
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cavscout96 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

happyinBCS said:

my brother lives in southern California he sold his home that he had lived in for 41 years his taxes were about 2600 a year (1% of value when bought) sold it for 850K so the buyers will pay 8500 a year going forward yes it is the left coast and they have a state income tax but when the gain is realized the larger tax is paid, here if you live in your home for 40 years the value increases yearly just like out there but here you pay the higher tax on the gain without realizing any gain there should be a better way


That assumes people aren't realizing that gain. It was pretty common in Cali to do a cash out refi every couple years, especially when values were climbing like crazy.

Cali prop tax policy of basically freezing taxes when you purchased encourages people to stay in the homes forever. Just moving into a similar home after a few years would spike your tax payments. Eventually you are stuck because you couldn't afford the property taxes on a new home even though you had a million dollar gain on your current home.


That is not a realized gain. That is borrowing against an anticipated gain. A gain is not realized until the asset changes hands.
But does it matter. I basically "sold" my house to the bank again and work to "buy" it back over the length of the loan.
rodan85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
kraut said:

woodiewood1 said:

CatPit1 said:

Once the taxing entities (ISD, City, County) see the finalized values, is it possible that they will realize a forthcoming Tsunami of cash (exceeding their wildest dreams) and magically lower their rates, so that our 2022 tax bills won't be so high! Honest question.
Good luck. Governments and school districts will neve quench their thirst for OPM. They will always find pet projects that the citizens need.

We need a Texas constitutional amendment that the total tax revenues from existing properties by each local government and school system entity cannot increase annually more than the COL.


The law passed a couple of years ago did this, right?

My understanding is that the revenue collected by a city from property taxes cannot go up more than 3.5% from the previous year without asking the voters for more than that percentage. I think school districts may be limited to 2.5%, but don't quote me on that.

This means if all of our appraisals went up 10% from last year (assuming majority took the homestead exemption), the cities, county and school districts have to lower the tax rate in order to comply with the 2.5-3.5% cap.
That is what the video I posted said as well. Overall our taxes should be the same amount + a nominal increase for inflation.
Gig 'em
Bryan '85
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

cavscout96 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

happyinBCS said:

my brother lives in southern California he sold his home that he had lived in for 41 years his taxes were about 2600 a year (1% of value when bought) sold it for 850K so the buyers will pay 8500 a year going forward yes it is the left coast and they have a state income tax but when the gain is realized the larger tax is paid, here if you live in your home for 40 years the value increases yearly just like out there but here you pay the higher tax on the gain without realizing any gain there should be a better way


That assumes people aren't realizing that gain. It was pretty common in Cali to do a cash out refi every couple years, especially when values were climbing like crazy.

Cali prop tax policy of basically freezing taxes when you purchased encourages people to stay in the homes forever. Just moving into a similar home after a few years would spike your tax payments. Eventually you are stuck because you couldn't afford the property taxes on a new home even though you had a million dollar gain on your current home.


That is not a realized gain. That is borrowing against an anticipated gain. A gain is not realized until the asset changes hands.
But does it matter. I basically "sold" my house to the bank again and work to "buy" it back over the length of the loan.
nope. it's just like borrowing against your IRA or 40I(k). Not necessarily a good idea, but also not a realized gain. You still "own" the stock (house) you're just using it as collateral for the loan and the back is assuming it's value will hold or increase.
Tumble Weed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brandon's Cove (near rock prairie elementary)
10% higher

ukbb2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
woodiewood1 said:

CatPit1 said:

Once the taxing entities (ISD, City, County) see the finalized values, is it possible that they will realize a forthcoming Tsunami of cash (exceeding their wildest dreams) and magically lower their rates, so that our 2022 tax bills won't be so high! Honest question.
Good luck. Governments and school districts will neve quench their thirst for OPM. They will always find pet projects that the citizens need.

We need a Texas constitutional amendment that the total tax revenues from existing properties by each local government and school system entity cannot increase annually more than the COL.




I agree with capping the total amount that the government and school districts can collect. However, I think it would be a little more complex than just adding a COL adjustment. You would have to factor in general population numbers and number of students in the schools.
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ukbb2003 said:

woodiewood1 said:

CatPit1 said:

Once the taxing entities (ISD, City, County) see the finalized values, is it possible that they will realize a forthcoming Tsunami of cash (exceeding their wildest dreams) and magically lower their rates, so that our 2022 tax bills won't be so high! Honest question.
Good luck. Governments and school districts will neve quench their thirst for OPM. They will always find pet projects that the citizens need.

We need a Texas constitutional amendment that the total tax revenues from existing properties by each local government and school system entity cannot increase annually more than the COL.




I agree with capping the total amount that the government and school districts can collect. However, I think it would be a little more complex than just adding a COL adjustment. You would have to factor in general population numbers and number of students in the schools.
The current ~3ish % is probably pretty reasonable without doing complex calculations to calculate inflation. That said, a few years of >5% inflation could be problematic.
happyinBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
as an example of not seeing commercial properties go up, one momentum plaza setting on 20 acres of prime RE has gone up 9% in the last 10 YEARS yes, they pay about 475K taxes a year, but something does not add up when they hit homeowners so hard and commercial seems to get a pass
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If the business property taxes go up they get passed along to the customer in the way of higher prices. Or the business goes under because they can't afford the taxes. Either way it's bad economic planning by the local authorities.
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
happyinBCS said:

as an example of not seeing commercial properties go up, one momentum plaza setting on 20 acres of prime RE has gone up 9% in the last 10 YEARS yes, they pay about 475K taxes a year, but something does not add up when they hit homeowners so hard and commercial seems to get a pass
Certainly calls things into question, but I wonder if CRE market has been as hot as residential lately. Not exactly a flood of businesses starting up or moving the BCS and a fair amount of new construction.

There is a strip mall location on Briarcrest where the interior has never been built out, yet frost built a new bank with 2 potential tenant locations a block away.
happyinBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
the one that is not built out has been that way for 15 years it is owned by Don Adam the location where Frost is the ownership is Culpepper big difference in their business model
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BiochemAg97 said:

happyinBCS said:

as an example of not seeing commercial properties go up, one momentum plaza setting on 20 acres of prime RE has gone up 9% in the last 10 YEARS yes, they pay about 475K taxes a year, but something does not add up when they hit homeowners so hard and commercial seems to get a pass
Certainly calls things into question, but I wonder if CRE market has been as hot as residential lately. Not exactly a flood of businesses starting up or moving the BCS and a fair amount of new construction.

There is a strip mall location on Briarcrest where the interior has never been built out, yet frost built a new bank with 2 potential tenant locations a block away.
I agree, not a flood of businesses starting up.....a monsoon!

BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

COMING SOON
Aggieland Express Car Wash - Old Ft. Shiloh lot
Andy's Frozen Custard at SW Parkway/Wellborn
Burger Mojo - Frost Bank Center on Briarcrest
Capriotti's Sandwich Shop in old Fox & Hound location
Carmax - Hwy 6 College Station near Cooper's BBQ
C & J Barbeque - Briargate Dr.
Comfort Inn & Suites Bryan
Corn Fusion Wellborn Road
COSTCO - College Station Midtown
Crumbl Cookies - Jones Crossing
Dairy Queen Caprock
Dave's Hot Chicken - Old Urban Brick's space on Texas Ave
D-Bat Aggieland is being built near Edible Field in Bryan.
Drury Inn & Suites - Chimney Hill
Gringos -Tower Point
Hyatt House - Bryan near Cracker Barrel (finally finishing?)
Hush & Whisper - New distillery from the Astin Partners
Jason's Deli Bryan
Jersey Mike's - Near Bryan Target
Kanji Sushi - lakewalk Bryan
Kirks Automotive - College Station
La Madeline French Bakery & Cafe - Century Square
Lick Ice Cream - Century Square
Lotus Chinese Restaurant - Holleman Dr.
Maria Mia's TexMex Cantina - old Nifa's on HWY6
Nappanee, Indiana NTA Inc. - Major employer coming to Bryan
Rapid Express Carwash - Villa Maria next to Walmart
Royal Touch Laundry - Next to Layne's on Wellborn
Russo's New York Pizzeria and Italian Kitchen - University Drive
Shogun Japanese Grill & Sushi Bar - Tower Point
Smoosh Cookies - Northpoint Crossing
Study Station - Holleman Dr.
Take 5 oil change business is going in at Hwy 21 and North Texas Ave
Trackside Kolache Bakery 2nd location on 29th street in the old Cake Junkie location
Tradehome Shoes - Post Oak Mall
TX Chifa Street - Post Oak Mall
Urban Cowgirl - University Dr
Z Bar & Bistro - Old Loupot's building in Northgate


RECENTLY OPENED
Anytime Fitness - 404 University Dr. E
BigShots Golf
Chill Milkshakes by Harvey Washbangers
Chipotle - Wellborn and Southwest Parkway
Glo by TFO - "auto spa" - Old NAPA Auto Parts building on 2818 in CS
Hotworx - Bryan on University Drive East of Copperfield
Naq's Halal Food in old Blake's Steaks location
Starbucks at Wellborn and Southwest Parkway
The Cookshack Old Pei Wei location on University
b0ridi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
woodiewood1 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

happyinBCS said:

as an example of not seeing commercial properties go up, one momentum plaza setting on 20 acres of prime RE has gone up 9% in the last 10 YEARS yes, they pay about 475K taxes a year, but something does not add up when they hit homeowners so hard and commercial seems to get a pass
Certainly calls things into question, but I wonder if CRE market has been as hot as residential lately. Not exactly a flood of businesses starting up or moving the BCS and a fair amount of new construction.

There is a strip mall location on Briarcrest where the interior has never been built out, yet frost built a new bank with 2 potential tenant locations a block away.
I agree, not a flood of businesses starting up.....a monsoon!

BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

....
Most of those are restaurants for the existing student population. I don't know of many businesses in the financial/industrial/tech sectors moving here.
hopeandrealchange
How long do you want to ignore this user?
happyinBCS said:

as an example of not seeing commercial properties go up, one momentum plaza setting on 20 acres of prime RE has gone up 9% in the last 10 YEARS yes, they pay about 475K taxes a year, but something does not add up when they hit homeowners so hard and commercial seems to get a pass


I owned a business in Bryan for 26 years. Every year our appraisal statement would show up and I would celebrate. And hope that they never figured out what we had. They never did but every year my personal real estate values climbed.
hopeandrealchange
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mathguy64 said:

If the business property taxes go up they get passed along to the customer in the way of higher prices. Or the business goes under because they can't afford the taxes. Either way it's bad economic planning by the local authorities.


The same thing happens to renters. The increase in the taxes on my rental homes will be passed 100% to the tenants when their current leases expire. Renters of all ages get screwed.
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
woodiewood1 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

happyinBCS said:

as an example of not seeing commercial properties go up, one momentum plaza setting on 20 acres of prime RE has gone up 9% in the last 10 YEARS yes, they pay about 475K taxes a year, but something does not add up when they hit homeowners so hard and commercial seems to get a pass
Certainly calls things into question, but I wonder if CRE market has been as hot as residential lately. Not exactly a flood of businesses starting up or moving the BCS and a fair amount of new construction.

There is a strip mall location on Briarcrest where the interior has never been built out, yet frost built a new bank with 2 potential tenant locations a block away.
I agree, not a flood of businesses starting up.....a monsoon!

BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

COMING SOON
Aggieland Express Car Wash - Old Ft. Shiloh lot
Andy's Frozen Custard at SW Parkway/Wellborn
Burger Mojo - Frost Bank Center on Briarcrest
Capriotti's Sandwich Shop in old Fox & Hound location
Carmax - Hwy 6 College Station near Cooper's BBQ
C & J Barbeque - Briargate Dr.
Comfort Inn & Suites Bryan
Corn Fusion Wellborn Road
COSTCO - College Station Midtown
Crumbl Cookies - Jones Crossing
Dairy Queen Caprock
Dave's Hot Chicken - Old Urban Brick's space on Texas Ave
D-Bat Aggieland is being built near Edible Field in Bryan.
Drury Inn & Suites - Chimney Hill
Gringos -Tower Point
Hyatt House - Bryan near Cracker Barrel (finally finishing?)
Hush & Whisper - New distillery from the Astin Partners
Jason's Deli Bryan
Jersey Mike's - Near Bryan Target
Kanji Sushi - lakewalk Bryan
Kirks Automotive - College Station
La Madeline French Bakery & Cafe - Century Square
Lick Ice Cream - Century Square
Lotus Chinese Restaurant - Holleman Dr.
Maria Mia's TexMex Cantina - old Nifa's on HWY6
Nappanee, Indiana NTA Inc. - Major employer coming to Bryan
Rapid Express Carwash - Villa Maria next to Walmart
Royal Touch Laundry - Next to Layne's on Wellborn
Russo's New York Pizzeria and Italian Kitchen - University Drive
Shogun Japanese Grill & Sushi Bar - Tower Point
Smoosh Cookies - Northpoint Crossing
Study Station - Holleman Dr.
Take 5 oil change business is going in at Hwy 21 and North Texas Ave
Trackside Kolache Bakery 2nd location on 29th street in the old Cake Junkie location
Tradehome Shoes - Post Oak Mall
TX Chifa Street - Post Oak Mall
Urban Cowgirl - University Dr
Z Bar & Bistro - Old Loupot's building in Northgate


RECENTLY OPENED
Anytime Fitness - 404 University Dr. E
BigShots Golf
Chill Milkshakes by Harvey Washbangers
Chipotle - Wellborn and Southwest Parkway
Glo by TFO - "auto spa" - Old NAPA Auto Parts building on 2818 in CS
Hotworx - Bryan on University Drive East of Copperfield
Naq's Halal Food in old Blake's Steaks location
Starbucks at Wellborn and Southwest Parkway
The Cookshack Old Pei Wei location on University


And hopefully they all do great and retail space gets tight and CRE values climb. But COVID was hard on CRE and hurt the values over the past few years.
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ukbb2003 said:

woodiewood1 said:

CatPit1 said:

Once the taxing entities (ISD, City, County) see the finalized values, is it possible that they will realize a forthcoming Tsunami of cash (exceeding their wildest dreams) and magically lower their rates, so that our 2022 tax bills won't be so high! Honest question.
Good luck. Governments and school districts will neve quench their thirst for OPM. They will always find pet projects that the citizens need.

We need a Texas constitutional amendment that the total tax revenues from existing properties by each local government and school system entity cannot increase annually more than the COL.




I agree with capping the total amount that the government and school districts can collect. However, I think it would be a little more complex than just adding a COL adjustment. You would have to factor in general population numbers and number of students in the schools.
I agree, but it might be a starting point to begin the process.
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BiochemAg97 said:

woodiewood1 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

happyinBCS said:

as an example of not seeing commercial properties go up, one momentum plaza setting on 20 acres of prime RE has gone up 9% in the last 10 YEARS yes, they pay about 475K taxes a year, but something does not add up when they hit homeowners so hard and commercial seems to get a pass
Certainly calls things into question, but I wonder if CRE market has been as hot as residential lately. Not exactly a flood of businesses starting up or moving the BCS and a fair amount of new construction.

There is a strip mall location on Briarcrest where the interior has never been built out, yet frost built a new bank with 2 potential tenant locations a block away.
I agree, not a flood of businesses starting up.....a monsoon!

BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

COMING SOON
Aggieland Express Car Wash - Old Ft. Shiloh lot
Andy's Frozen Custard at SW Parkway/Wellborn
Burger Mojo - Frost Bank Center on Briarcrest
Capriotti's Sandwich Shop in old Fox & Hound location
Carmax - Hwy 6 College Station near Cooper's BBQ
C & J Barbeque - Briargate Dr.
Comfort Inn & Suites Bryan
Corn Fusion Wellborn Road
COSTCO - College Station Midtown
Crumbl Cookies - Jones Crossing
Dairy Queen Caprock
Dave's Hot Chicken - Old Urban Brick's space on Texas Ave
D-Bat Aggieland is being built near Edible Field in Bryan.
Drury Inn & Suites - Chimney Hill
Gringos -Tower Point
Hyatt House - Bryan near Cracker Barrel (finally finishing?)
Hush & Whisper - New distillery from the Astin Partners
Jason's Deli Bryan
Jersey Mike's - Near Bryan Target
Kanji Sushi - lakewalk Bryan
Kirks Automotive - College Station
La Madeline French Bakery & Cafe - Century Square
Lick Ice Cream - Century Square
Lotus Chinese Restaurant - Holleman Dr.
Maria Mia's TexMex Cantina - old Nifa's on HWY6
Nappanee, Indiana NTA Inc. - Major employer coming to Bryan
Rapid Express Carwash - Villa Maria next to Walmart
Royal Touch Laundry - Next to Layne's on Wellborn
Russo's New York Pizzeria and Italian Kitchen - University Drive
Shogun Japanese Grill & Sushi Bar - Tower Point
Smoosh Cookies - Northpoint Crossing
Study Station - Holleman Dr.
Take 5 oil change business is going in at Hwy 21 and North Texas Ave
Trackside Kolache Bakery 2nd location on 29th street in the old Cake Junkie location
Tradehome Shoes - Post Oak Mall
TX Chifa Street - Post Oak Mall
Urban Cowgirl - University Dr
Z Bar & Bistro - Old Loupot's building in Northgate


RECENTLY OPENED
Anytime Fitness - 404 University Dr. E
BigShots Golf
Chill Milkshakes by Harvey Washbangers
Chipotle - Wellborn and Southwest Parkway
Glo by TFO - "auto spa" - Old NAPA Auto Parts building on 2818 in CS
Hotworx - Bryan on University Drive East of Copperfield
Naq's Halal Food in old Blake's Steaks location
Starbucks at Wellborn and Southwest Parkway
The Cookshack Old Pei Wei location on University


And hopefully they all do great and retail space gets tight and CRE values climb. But COVID was hard on CRE and hurt the values over the past few years.
Covid was hard on homeowners also with job losses, deaths of spouses, owners, but homestead tax valuations and taxes still went up.
duffelpud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
happyinBCS said:

as an example of not seeing commercial properties go up, one momentum plaza setting on 20 acres of prime RE has gone up 9% in the last 10 YEARS yes, they pay about 475K taxes a year, but something does not add up when they hit homeowners so hard and commercial seems to get a pass

To be fair there aren't a load of comps for local skyscratchers since they tore down University Inn.
"What's this button do?"
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
woodiewood1 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

woodiewood1 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

happyinBCS said:

as an example of not seeing commercial properties go up, one momentum plaza setting on 20 acres of prime RE has gone up 9% in the last 10 YEARS yes, they pay about 475K taxes a year, but something does not add up when they hit homeowners so hard and commercial seems to get a pass
Certainly calls things into question, but I wonder if CRE market has been as hot as residential lately. Not exactly a flood of businesses starting up or moving the BCS and a fair amount of new construction.

There is a strip mall location on Briarcrest where the interior has never been built out, yet frost built a new bank with 2 potential tenant locations a block away.
I agree, not a flood of businesses starting up.....a monsoon!

BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

COMING SOON
Aggieland Express Car Wash - Old Ft. Shiloh lot
Andy's Frozen Custard at SW Parkway/Wellborn
Burger Mojo - Frost Bank Center on Briarcrest
Capriotti's Sandwich Shop in old Fox & Hound location
Carmax - Hwy 6 College Station near Cooper's BBQ
C & J Barbeque - Briargate Dr.
Comfort Inn & Suites Bryan
Corn Fusion Wellborn Road
COSTCO - College Station Midtown
Crumbl Cookies - Jones Crossing
Dairy Queen Caprock
Dave's Hot Chicken - Old Urban Brick's space on Texas Ave
D-Bat Aggieland is being built near Edible Field in Bryan.
Drury Inn & Suites - Chimney Hill
Gringos -Tower Point
Hyatt House - Bryan near Cracker Barrel (finally finishing?)
Hush & Whisper - New distillery from the Astin Partners
Jason's Deli Bryan
Jersey Mike's - Near Bryan Target
Kanji Sushi - lakewalk Bryan
Kirks Automotive - College Station
La Madeline French Bakery & Cafe - Century Square
Lick Ice Cream - Century Square
Lotus Chinese Restaurant - Holleman Dr.
Maria Mia's TexMex Cantina - old Nifa's on HWY6
Nappanee, Indiana NTA Inc. - Major employer coming to Bryan
Rapid Express Carwash - Villa Maria next to Walmart
Royal Touch Laundry - Next to Layne's on Wellborn
Russo's New York Pizzeria and Italian Kitchen - University Drive
Shogun Japanese Grill & Sushi Bar - Tower Point
Smoosh Cookies - Northpoint Crossing
Study Station - Holleman Dr.
Take 5 oil change business is going in at Hwy 21 and North Texas Ave
Trackside Kolache Bakery 2nd location on 29th street in the old Cake Junkie location
Tradehome Shoes - Post Oak Mall
TX Chifa Street - Post Oak Mall
Urban Cowgirl - University Dr
Z Bar & Bistro - Old Loupot's building in Northgate


RECENTLY OPENED
Anytime Fitness - 404 University Dr. E
BigShots Golf
Chill Milkshakes by Harvey Washbangers
Chipotle - Wellborn and Southwest Parkway
Glo by TFO - "auto spa" - Old NAPA Auto Parts building on 2818 in CS
Hotworx - Bryan on University Drive East of Copperfield
Naq's Halal Food in old Blake's Steaks location
Starbucks at Wellborn and Southwest Parkway
The Cookshack Old Pei Wei location on University


And hopefully they all do great and retail space gets tight and CRE values climb. But COVID was hard on CRE and hurt the values over the past few years.
Covid was hard on homeowners also with job losses, deaths of spouses, owners, but homestead tax valuations and taxes still went up.
It was hard on homeowners, but not so hard on the residential real estate market… or at least the RRE market recovered sooner and had a lot of strength. Recent events have significantly increased housing prices. Valuations increased to reflect that reality. Rising interest rates, supply chain issues being resolved, and a potential recession may reverse that and cause lower valuations over the next several years.

Valuations have gone up. We have yet to see how much taxes actually go up.
MeKnowNot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As best I can tell. property values can do one of three things: increase, decrease or stay the same.

If you are a property owner in Bryan-College Station, which scenario would be most concerning to you relative to property not in the B-CS market?

BCS/Non-B-CS Property Values

A. increasing/increasing
B. increasing/stagnant
C. increasing/decreasing

D. stagnant/increasing
E. stagnant/stagnant
F. stagnant/decreasing

G. decreasing/increasing
H. decreasing/stagnant
I. decreasing/decreasing

I am definitely not looking forward to the potential of paying higher property taxes based on a higher property value, but all things considered, I would be much more concerned if my property value were decreasing or unchanged while other markets increased.

MTTANK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MeKnowNot said:

As best I can tell. property values can do one of three things: increase, decrease or stay the same.

If you are a property owner in Bryan-College Station, which scenario would be most concerning to you relative to property not in the B-CS market?

BCS/Non-B-CS Property Values

A. increasing/increasing
B. increasing/stagnant
C. increasing/decreasing

D. stagnant/increasing
E. stagnant/stagnant
F. stagnant/decreasing

G. decreasing/increasing
H. decreasing/stagnant
I. decreasing/decreasing

I am definitely not looking forward to the potential of paying higher property taxes based on a higher property value, but all things considered, I would be much more concerned if my property value were decreasing or unchanged while other markets increased.


Username checks out
GIG 'EM
ukbb2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MeKnowNot said:

As best I can tell. property values can do one of three things: increase, decrease or stay the same.

If you are a property owner in Bryan-College Station, which scenario would be most concerning to you relative to property not in the B-CS market?

BCS/Non-B-CS Property Values

A. increasing/increasing
B. increasing/stagnant
C. increasing/decreasing

D. stagnant/increasing
E. stagnant/stagnant
F. stagnant/decreasing

G. decreasing/increasing
H. decreasing/stagnant
I. decreasing/decreasing

I am definitely not looking forward to the potential of paying higher property taxes based on a higher property value, but all things considered, I would be much more concerned if my property value were decreasing or unchanged while other markets increased.




You are missing the point. I don't think most people are upset about the increase in value of their homes. You are only looking at one side of the equation. The total tax revenue that the county/schools are set to receive will be significantly higher than last year. What everyone wants is a somewhat consistent total tax revenue year over year. When values go up, lower the tax rate. When values go down, then adjust the tax rate up accordingly.
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ukbb2003 said:

MeKnowNot said:

As best I can tell. property values can do one of three things: increase, decrease or stay the same.

If you are a property owner in Bryan-College Station, which scenario would be most concerning to you relative to property not in the B-CS market?

BCS/Non-B-CS Property Values

A. increasing/increasing
B. increasing/stagnant
C. increasing/decreasing

D. stagnant/increasing
E. stagnant/stagnant
F. stagnant/decreasing

G. decreasing/increasing
H. decreasing/stagnant
I. decreasing/decreasing

I am definitely not looking forward to the potential of paying higher property taxes based on a higher property value, but all things considered, I would be much more concerned if my property value were decreasing or unchanged while other markets increased.




You are missing the point. I don't think most people are upset about the increase in value of their homes. You are only looking at one side of the equation. The total tax revenue that the county/schools are set to receive will be significantly higher than last year. What everyone wants is a somewhat consistent total tax revenue year over year. When values go up, lower the tax rate. When values go down, then adjust the tax rate up accordingly.


Then people should stop freaking out over their increase. State law requires holding an election if the total tax revenue is greater than a certain % so they will most likely lower the tax rate to avoid needing voter approval.
George Costanza
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"What everyone wants is a somewhat consistent total tax revenue year over year. When values go up, lower the tax rate. When values go down, then adjust the tax rate up accordingly."

While, of course, taking into account the actual cost of local government services. Just because values go down that doesn't mean inflation, population growth, etc haven't occurred.
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Link to the Texas Tribune the does a good job explaining the propositions.
SkyMoose
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've had some luck using a service to protest our property valuation in Austin. However, I cannot seem to find a company who does this in Brazos County. Can anyone recommend a property tax protest service that operates in Brazos and is effective?
Aggie@state.gov
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3287764

Law361
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My property taxes on my residential home are still showing N/A. Anyone else still waiting?
iisanaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ours is still listed as N/A, but everyone else on our street is posted. We think it has something to do with our protest last year before the board.
Law361
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I protested as well. Sounds like we're in the same boat
cslifer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just go down there and protest it yourself. What is so hard about this?
JP76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The only leg you really have to stand on is if the other surrounding houses in the neighborhood have lower value on BCAD per sq ft than your property or the other similar size lots have a lower lot value on BCAD versus yours. I've heard stories of people going to protest and they will ask do you think your house will sell for more or less than what the appraisal district has it listed for? If your answer is lower you had better have comps to back it up bc I know of one case where they pulled out recent comps that showed bcad's numbers we're indeed lower than what the current market is. Just be prepared if you choose to fight and make sure you have the numbers with evidence to back it up.
spike427
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went with evidence just like that one year, after successfully protesting years in a row, and the guy straight up told me they weren't adjusting values that year. He would. Not. Budge.

I ripped up my papers and walked out.
Aggie@state.gov
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Because if you just go down there to kvetch and come with no data and no evidence - you're just going to go away mad when they tell you no.......

If you truly believe you are being treated unfairly - hire an expert.........
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.