Aggieland
Sponsored By

Tx Central Railroad

7,256 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by techno-ag
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

but also all the tireless advocates for the project: Mayor Sylvester Turner, Mayor Eric Johnson, Mayor Karl Mooney, US Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson, US Congresswoman Kay Granger, US Congressman Colin Allred, US Congressman Seth Moulton, Texas State Senator Royce West, Texas State Representative Yvonne Davis
A gaggle of mouth breathing idiots with about 27 IQ points between them.
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eminent domain authority should never be given to a private entity in order to confiscate property from another private entity.
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This thing needed two things to succeed:

1. Eminent domain which sets a terrible precedent.
2. To poach a substantial portion of the daily traffic between Hobby/IAH to Love Field. This was really going to come down to time and convenience for those business travelers.

I'm not disappointed we aren't going to find out if it could do #2.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Zone416
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's "eminent domain" y'all.

Also, yay for Texas landowners. This was beyond a boondoggle, it was so bad they need a new name for it.
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zone416 said:

It's "eminent domain" y'all.

Also, yay for Texas landowners. This was beyond a boondoggle, it was so bad they need a new name for it.
Look at you all full of yourself for getting the words right. Everyone hates a pre-Madonna.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AG81 said:

LastHamlet said:

I'm lucky enough to able to travel around the world. Our lack of public transportation and how people are so clueless of the benefits of having it is truly embarrassing.


To highlight how uninformed this post is...

Texas has just under 30 million residents. If you overlay a map of Texas over Europe, it would cover all or part of at least 10 countries with a conservative estimate of a combined population of 180 million, likely much higher. It's not even an apples and oranges comparison, these are at least both fruits. This is more like apples and cats.
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Quote:

2. To poach a substantial portion of the daily traffic between Hobby/IAH to Love Field. This was really going to come down to time and convenience for those business travelers.
And that's where it was going to fail. It had a small target audience. One or two day business travelers that need to have face to face meetings, site inspections, etc... With virtual meeting becoming more commonplace, even that audience was going to shrink.

Thinking this was a good idea was very short-sighted. Unless you worked for the company.

Jbob04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Glad this terrible idea of a project is about over. Was never going to work
taxpreparer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LOYAL AG said:

Zone416 said:

It's "eminent domain" y'all.

Also, yay for Texas landowners. This was beyond a boondoggle, it was so bad they need a new name for it.
Look at you all full of yourself for getting the words right. Everyone hates a pre-Madonna.


Blue parachute for you, sir. I am still laughing.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
ElephantRider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LOYAL AG said:

This thing needed two things to succeed:

1. Eminent domain which sets a terrible precedent.
2. To poach a substantial portion of the daily traffic between Hobby/IAH to Love Field. This was really going to come down to time and convenience for those business travelers.

I'm not disappointed we aren't going to find out if it could do #2.

Wasn't it going to be more expensive and take longer to ride this than to get a flight between Dallas and Houston?
ElephantRider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now the question is, what happens to all of the land they have already purchased? Wouldn't be surprised to see another entity looking to build a linear project scoop it up.
ElephantRider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sounds like TX Supreme Court upheld their ability to use eminent domain. Interesting development, although I still think they'll go broke before anything is built.
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
75AG said:

Stupe said:

cavscout96 said:

75AG said:

Texas had an opportunity to be a leader in mass transit, but failed again. I know a lot of people on this thread will be giddy, but not me.
if by "leader" you mean duped into an albatross that will never show a single cent of profit then....
And saddled the taxpayers with debt.

This garbage deal wasn't going to make Texas a leader in anything.
Funny, we subsidize the airlines and airports. But sure we could be saddled with debt on a bullet train which would get cars off I 45 which we also subsidize with tax dollars.
All but one U.S. commercial airport are owned and operated by public entities, This is a private company. As far as I know, I don't know of any airlines who threatened lawsuits and stole private property?

What they should have done is run down the center or the side of I45 and elevate it over cross overpasses as necessary. No need to steal private property.
Scruffy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree and I've argued this point for 20 years.
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ElephantRider said:

Sounds like TX Supreme Court upheld their ability to use eminent domain. Interesting development, although I still think they'll go broke before anything is built.


Excellent news! Bring on the rail!
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FlyRod said:

ElephantRider said:

Sounds like TX Supreme Court upheld their ability to use eminent domain. Interesting development, although I still think they'll go broke before anything is built.


Excellent news! Bring on the rail!


Stealing land to give to private companies.
Rexter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
woodiewood1 said:

75AG said:

Stupe said:

cavscout96 said:

75AG said:

Texas had an opportunity to be a leader in mass transit, but failed again. I know a lot of people on this thread will be giddy, but not me.
if by "leader" you mean duped into an albatross that will never show a single cent of profit then....
And saddled the taxpayers with debt.

This garbage deal wasn't going to make Texas a leader in anything.
Funny, we subsidize the airlines and airports. But sure we could be saddled with debt on a bullet train which would get cars off I 45 which we also subsidize with tax dollars.
All but one U.S. commercial airport are owned and operated by public entities, This is a private company. As far as I know, I don't know of any airlines who threatened lawsuits and stole private property?

What they should have done is run down the center or the side of I45 and elevate it over cross overpasses as necessary. No need to steal private property.




Monorail ftw!
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
maroon barchetta said:

FlyRod said:

ElephantRider said:

Sounds like TX Supreme Court upheld their ability to use eminent domain. Interesting development, although I still think they'll go broke before anything is built.


Excellent news! Bring on the rail!


Stealing land to give to private companies.


Not stealing if it's legal. Eminent domain is controversial to be sure, but it is what it is.
Jbob04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This doesn't change much, it still won't ever be built.
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FlyRod said:

maroon barchetta said:

FlyRod said:

ElephantRider said:

Sounds like TX Supreme Court upheld their ability to use eminent domain. Interesting development, although I still think they'll go broke before anything is built.


Excellent news! Bring on the rail!


Stealing land to give to private companies.


Not stealing if it's legal. Eminent domain is controversial to be sure, but it is what it is.


True.

Let's run it through your front yard. It's legal.
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd actually be ok with that, but that's not how this works. I'm not sitting on top of my own version of the King Ranch as my "front lawn."
threecatcorner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They apparently already are broke. It was one of the reasons listed in the lawsuit for why eminent domain should have been denied.
duffelpud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just another example of narcissistic know-it-all tyrants trying to shove something we don't want down our throats for our own good.
"What's this button do?"
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FlyRod said:

maroon barchetta said:

FlyRod said:

ElephantRider said:

Sounds like TX Supreme Court upheld their ability to use eminent domain. Interesting development, although I still think they'll go broke before anything is built.


Excellent news! Bring on the rail!


Stealing land to give to private companies.


Not stealing if it's legal. Eminent domain is controversial to be sure, but it is what it is.
Anytime the government supports and allows a private person/entity to confiscate another private person's property, it's stealing. To me, it doesn't matter whether the government is supporting it.

Eminent domain was originally intended for situations where government paid a person a fair price for real property for the good of society. It was changed in a couple of court suits that allowed private entities to force the confiscation of private property with support of the government with the threat of a court suit.

Forced transfer of private property of a person's property to another private owner is stealing.
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
FlyRod said:

I'd actually be ok with that, but that's not how this works. I'm not sitting on top of my own version of the King Ranch as my "front lawn."
Neither are some of the people that this would effect. They are sitting on a few acres and will lose all of their land.

It's not funny.
ElephantRider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not opposed to the idea of a high-speed train. I'm not even completely opposed to using eminent domain to do it. My issue is with the people developing this one and the decisions they have made. CF from the start, and I have serious doubts about their ability to actually pull this off (even without their money issues).
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FlyRod said:

maroon barchetta said:

FlyRod said:

ElephantRider said:

Sounds like TX Supreme Court upheld their ability to use eminent domain. Interesting development, although I still think they'll go broke before anything is built.


Excellent news! Bring on the rail!


Stealing land to give to private companies.


Not stealing if it's legal. Eminent domain is controversial to be sure, but it is what it is.
suggest you go back and brush up on the 4th amendment to eth US Constitution.

Texas legislature needs an overhaul so this actually gets fixed.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FlyRod said:

I'd actually be ok with that, but that's not how this works. I'm not sitting on top of my own version of the King Ranch as my "front lawn."
be careful... your Marxism is showing......
kraut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/06/30/property-owners-path-high-speed-train-vow-not-give-up-hope/

Texas Supreme Court granted Texas Central eminent domain power. Looks like the project isn't as dead as previously thought....
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If they can't pay their bills having imminent domain won't be helpful. But if they get their financials in a better place it certainly will help them as far as ROW acquisitions.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
A company that can't pay their bills before a project is even started. And there are people that think it's a good idea and won't fall on the taxpayers.

And people may lose their land and homes over this.


techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stupe said:

A company that can't pay their bills before a project is even started. And there are people that think it's a good idea and won't fall on the taxpayers.

And people may lose their land and homes over this.



To be fair, Marxists don't really care who pays for it. It's not their money.

And it's unfortunate that legitimate imminent domain issues got tangled up in this endeavor. There's no way HSR can ever be profitable without significant government (taxpayer) assistance.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.