Tx Central Railroad

8,760 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by techno-ag
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This one looks dead. How many dollars wasted by state, counties, land owners? In the end the only ones profiting are the lawyers. Hope someone lays this at the feet of the instigators.

https://www.kbtx.com/app/2022/04/17/brazos-valley-central-texas-elected-officials-file-amicus-curiae-against-texas-central-railroad/?outputType=apps
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgProgrammer
AG
If the Texas legislatures never had any intention on actually allowing and granting eminent domain authority for it, they should have shut it down a long time ago. I'm not saying they should be allowed eminent domain authority, I'm just saying that a whole lot of money and resources has been wasted if it was never going to actually get the the various approvals from the state it needed to get built.
LastHamlet
AG
I'm lucky enough to able to travel around the world. Our lack of public transportation and how people are so clueless of the benefits of having it is truly embarrassing.
oklaunion
LastHamlet said:

I'm lucky enough to able to travel around the world. Our lack of public transportation and how people are so clueless of the benefits of having it is truly embarrassing.
I am one of the clueless Texans. But I am good with it and don't wish to live anywhere else or have a pseudo-transportation company condemn my land.
Stupe
S
Any person that thinks that train would work here has no business calling someone else "clueless".
techno-ag
AG
LastHamlet said:

Public transportation works well in high density areas. In Texas and the American west it's easier and cheaper to just drive somewhere. The biggest problem with high speed rail between Dallas and Houston was riders would be at a strong disadvantage after arriving at their destination with no car.
Stupe
S
And the number of riders would never offset the cost of building and operating it. It would fall on the taxpayers that didn't want it in the first place.
BCS-Ag
I'll admit I was looking forward to it. I do know it negatively affected people that have land in the pathway, but the increased traffic we are facing will negatively impact us too. Also, while I agree historically public transportation does not interest Texans, the younger generations are less interested in driving. Japan and Europe have proven it works in rural areas, so I do think it could have paid off here if we could have gotten over the initial pain.
El_duderino
What younger generations are less interested in driving?
Tailgate88
AG
I like the IDEA of a bullet train to ride to Dallas, sounds like fun. I don't like the taxpayer funded boondoggle it would have become.
Stupe
S
Quote:

I do know it negatively affected people that have land in the pathway,
It's a lot more than that.
It's a private company trying to steal land from people by claiming imminent domain.
LastHamlet
AG
I'm not talking about just high speed rail. I'm talking public transportation overall.
Bucketrunner
Seems we will never again be able to improve traffic congestion. How were the opponents when the Interstate Highways were being built?
EMY92
AG
The only high speed rail system in the world that turns a profit is the one in Japan. It was built by the Japanese government, then sold to a private company for a very small sum. When they didn't have the cost of constructing the line, they are able to turn a profit.

For the cost of the high speed rail between Dallas & Houston, you can buy most of the population SWA tickets.

Several years ago, the proposed cost of the California high speed rail would have purchased multiple SWA tickets for every resident of Los Angeles county round trip tickets to San Fran.

It's cost far outweighs the benefits.
LastHamlet
AG
Stupe said:

Any person that thinks that train would work here has no business calling someone else "clueless".
Yeah whatever, there is more to public transportation than just trains.
Stupe
S
Well, this thread is about the train.

Even though I'm a just a clueless Texan, I can read a thread title.

I've also traveled enough to know that comparing the major cities in Texas to Europe or large metropolitan areas like Chicago, New York, DC - Baltimore, or Southern California is apples and oranges.

PS3D
El_duderino said:

They aren't. It's a myth that urban blogs that propagated that the younger generations would abandon their cars and move to the city, but demographic shifts aren't nearly in supportive of that, and any non-car transit has been absorbed by ridesharing, which can get to all the places mass transit cannot.
milner79
Stupe said:

Well, this thread is about the train.

Even though I'm a just a clueless Texan, I can read a thread title.

I've also traveled enough to know that comparing the major cities in Texas to Europe or large metropolitan areas like Chicago, New York, DC - Baltimore, or Southern California is apples and oranges.

halibut sinclair
El_duderino said:

Do a search - plenty of articles going back 10 years about how teens are not rushing out to get their DL and borrow Mom or Dad's car when they turn 16. Many reasons cited - social media, environment, ride sharing, nervousness, no interest in cars, etc.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2021/08/04/kids-and-cars-todays-teens-in-no-rush-to-start-driving/48148523/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2590198221001287

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/today-teens-in-no-hurry-to-start-driving/5993406.html
Stupe
S
CEO stepping down. This bodes well.

KBTX
cavscout96
AG
Quote:

I will be announcing next steps soon, but wanted to take the time to thank not only our shareholders and my dedicated team at Texas Central, but also all the tireless advocates for the project: Mayor Sylvester Turner, Mayor Eric Johnson, Mayor Karl Mooney, US Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson, US Congresswoman Kay Granger, US Congressman Colin Allred, US Congressman Seth Moulton, Texas State Senator Royce West, Texas State Representative Yvonne Davis, NCTCOG Transportation Director, Michael Morris, GHP CEO Bob Harvey, Chambers of Commerce, and so many other leaders from the Political and Business sectors in Texas and beyond.
Mentioned in same breath with the "big city" mayors. He must be giddy.

Overall, his statement reads like a petulant teenager.

Quote:

We had everything going for us and we were going to change the world, but all you rednecks just wouldn't give us your land and money. You suck and a horrible, ignorant jerks!

As stated multiple time in this thread, this was never going to work without huge governmental overreach and a tremendous loss to taxpayers. Good riddance.
75AG
AG
Texas had an opportunity to be a leader in mass transit, but failed again. I know a lot of people on this thread will be giddy, but not me.
cavscout96
AG
75AG said:

Texas had an opportunity to be a leader in mass transit, but failed again. I know a lot of people on this thread will be giddy, but not me.
if by "leader" you mean duped into an albatross that will never show a single cent of profit then....
cavscout96
AG
everyone should be giddy over a win for private property rights and a curtailment of the proposed eminent domain expansion.
techno-ag
AG
75AG said:

It's a blessing to taxpayers this boondoggle is going away.
Stupe
S
cavscout96 said:

75AG said:

if by "leader" you mean duped into an albatross that will never show a single cent of profit then....
And saddled the taxpayers with debt.

This garbage deal wasn't going to make Texas a leader in anything.
ElephantRider
AG
I'm for these kinds of projects when they make sense. This one doesn't.
75AG
AG
Stupe said:

cavscout96 said:

75AG said:

And saddled the taxpayers with debt.

This garbage deal wasn't going to make Texas a leader in anything.
Funny, we subsidize the airlines and airports. But sure we could be saddled with debt on a bullet train which would get cars off I 45 which we also subsidize with tax dollars.
EBrazosAg
AG
We certainly do subsidize them one way or another. Of course they actually deliver transportation- something the Cen Tx RR never did.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
75AG
AG
Well since it was never built, it couldn't.
Stupe
S
I-45 gets used.

That wouldn't.
75AG
AG
Stupe said:

I-45 gets used.

That wouldn't.
You have zero evidence to back that up. Zero. And incredibly short-sighted.
Stupe
S
75AG said:

Stupe said:

I-45 gets used.

That wouldn't.
You have zero evidence to back that up. Zero. And incredibly short-sighted.
Your entire post is exactly what opponents of that thing say about the people that want it.
AG81
AG
LastHamlet said:

To highlight how uninformed this post is...

Texas has just under 30 million residents. If you overlay a map of Texas over Europe, it would cover all or part of at least 10 countries with a conservative estimate of a combined population of 180 million, likely much higher. It's not even an apples and oranges comparison, these are at least both fruits. This is more like apples and cats.
75AG
AG
[Please do not derail threads with political topics not related to the thread. - Staff]
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.