TMobile 5G home internet

1,937 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AG @ HEART
AG @ HEART
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been using Suddenlink for about 4 years at our current home in Siena. (near coulter airfield) Is been spotty it's cleaned up some but starting at $90 in 2017 and being jacked up to $122 now, it was time to do something

We switched our phones to tmobile, saw they had 5g home internet for $50 with auto pay decided to try it because anything is worth a try over Suddenlink.

Well, I'm quite impressed. The lady over the phone said I could see 100mbps on average but I'm getting pretty good speed. It's worth a try if your looking to get out from Suddenlink. No contracts and the first month is free. It's been pretty impressive for being on the edge of town.
EMY92
AG
I've had T-Mobile home internet for about 5 months, I've been pleased.
JP76
Is there a data cap ?

Do they throttle speed down after a certain amount of gb are used ?
bco2003
AG
JP76 said:

Is there a data cap ?

No and no.
AG @ HEART
JP76 said:

Is there a data cap ?

Not that I remember, I do recall the rep saying they can only assign so many home accounts per tower to avoid throttling .

You're basically paying for a cellphone line for your house with a gateway.
sangria
AG
We live in town near St. Joseph and we switched to Tmobile around July 2021. I was skeptical about how it would perform once students returned to town in August, so I kept Suddenlink for an extra month. Calling Suddenlink to cancel was the most satisfying phone call I have ever made in my life.

We had a bit of trouble trying to find the right place for the Tmobile tower, and getting the account activated and passwords setup was a bit of a hassle, but other than that, it has been wonderful. We mainly stream Netflix/YouTube tv.
tfunk02
AG
bco2003 said:

JP76 said:

Is there a data cap ?

No and no.
Well, technically no, but you are on a low priority at all times. Basically, you are treated like a high data user at all time, so if a tower gets congested, those with phones that are not past their limit will have priority over you. You will probably never notice except maybe on a home football game day near the stadium.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/internet-service
"T-Mobile Home Internet customers receive the same network prioritization as Heavy Data Users, but should be less likely to experience congestion because the equipment is stationary and available in limited areas."

This can help you find the closest tower to you, but is not 100% accurate. Also, look at T-Mobile/Sprint Unified towers. Cell Mapper website.

If you want a better signal, there are ways to hack the device to add external antennas. It will probably void your warranty, but should make your signal much better.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=t+mobile+home+internet+external+antenna+

bco2003
AG
tfunk02 said:

bco2003 said:

JP76 said:

Is there a data cap ?

No and no.
Well, technically no, but you are on a low priority at all times. Basically, you are treated like a high data user at all time, so if a tower gets congested, those with phones that are not past their limit will have priority over you. You will probably never notice except maybe on a home football game day near the stadium.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/internet-service
"T-Mobile Home Internet customers receive the same network prioritization as Heavy Data Users, but should be less likely to experience congestion because the equipment is stationary and available in limited areas."

This can help you find the closest tower to you, but is not 100% accurate. Also, look at T-Mobile/Sprint Unified towers. Cell Mapper website.

If you want a better signal, there are ways to hack the device to add external antennas. It will probably void your warranty, but should make your signal much better.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=t+mobile+home+internet+external+antenna+

Your prioritization points are correct. But JP did ask if users are throttled based upon their usage, and they aren't (because they are already at the lowest priority). So someone can use 2 TB/month, and they won't see any change in their service based upon that usage.
JP76
I checked online and it says currently not available in Barron road area
oldyeller
AG
JP76 said:

I checked online and it says currently not available in Barron road area
Same, at my place near Northgate, and where I am looking at moving to near downtown. Oddly my buddy who has TMobile internet claims he sees it available on his app at both locations, and when I look at the coverage maps I see "ultra capacity" 5G at both locations I input, yet the Home Internet web site continues to direct me to a waitlist. Not sure what's up with that.

Those of you that have T-Mobile Home Internet, did you go through the web site, or did you visit a local T-Mobile store?
tfunk02
AG
oldyeller said:

Those of you that have T-Mobile Home Internet, did you go through the web site, or did you visit a local T-Mobile store?
Call them.

A lot of people have been able to get it that way, even if they are not in the correct area via their online map.
AG @ HEART
tfunk02 said:

oldyeller said:

Call them.

A lot of people have been able to get it that way, even if they are not in the correct area via their online map.
From what I was told, go to the store because they have them in stock. if you call them it'll take like a week or so for it to come.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.