Public Schools in BCS

10,610 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Mumbo Jimbo
30Aaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are looking to move from Austin back to BCS, but when we left 16 yrs ago we didn't have kids and CS was a smaller town. Would love some locals to provide any insight. Thanks in advance. We will have a 2nd,6th and 9th grader next year. Looking at Pebble Creek to purchase soon, but just getting started.

- any reviews on schools…which to target/avoid
- any neighborhood recommendations?
befitter
CSISD is an excellent district and you will be fine in whatever neighborhood you move to. We are constantly growing and there have been multiple zoning changes in recent years. That said...if your 9th grader has any specific extracurricular interests make sure the HS you are zoned for offers those interests as there are a few that are not offered at both. Personally, I had 2 kids that have graduated at both Consolidated and CSHS and have no complaints. Welcome back to Aggieland!
AG81
AG
If you're just looking at Bryan or College Station, your child can be equally successful in either. There are more high-end students in the CSISD than the Bryan ISD, but the brightest in CSISD are no more successful than the brightest in BISD. The main difference is demographics. There are more low end students at BISD than CSISD. Just my experience from having grown up in one district and raising my kids in the other. If you're willing to look nearby, check out the Mumford ISD.
cavscout96
AG
Honestly... with housing market right now, you might not have much of a choice.
histag10
AG
High end students? Low end students?

Do you mean income? Or are you seriously saying these kids are "low end"? That's incredibly rude, and seriously off base.
nthomas99
AG
centexAG07 said:

We are looking to move from Austin back to BCS, but when we left 16 yrs ago we didn't have kids and CS was a smaller town. Would love some locals to provide any insight. Thanks in advance. We will have a 2nd,6th and 9th grader next year. Looking at Pebble Creek to purchase soon, but just getting started.

- any reviews on schools…which to target/avoid
- any neighborhood recommendations?
As AG81said of CSISD vs BISD, good students in both districts. I live south of town in Peach Crossing and my kids all went (1 still there) to Pebble Creek and have moved onto Oakwood (where you're 6th would go) & A&M Consolidated Middle School. My oldest went to Southwood Valley Elementary for a couple of years and it was fine but between the two, we have liked the smaller size of Pebble Creek.

Within CSISD, the big decision is if you care for them to funnel into the newer high school. Mine don't, and I'm fine with that but plenty of people have chosen neighborhoods specifically for that (and unless you're right by the new HS, you're not guaranteed recurring rezoning won't change that).
histag10
AG
If you are willing to commute a little, I would suggest Iola or Franklin, honestly (or Mumford if you can find something out there). These are all smaller schools with stellar academics and academic opportunities. And if your kids aren't tier 1 athletes, they will have ample opportunity to compete in athletics as well at these schools.

CSISD rezone constantly to "spread the wealth", and BISD has issues in schools once you get past elementary (though CSISD does too at the middle school level).
LOYAL AG
AG
histag10 said:

Do you mean income? Or are you seriously saying these kids are "low end"? That's incredibly rude, and seriously off base.
Pretty sure they meant on the economic spectrum which, rude or not, has a strong impact on how that child performs and also on how they impact the performance of those around them. Kids from poorer families are less interested in school, get worse grades and are more disruptive. That's not universal obviously but it's still a reality. Poorer parents tend to be less attentive to their kids in school and that has a ripple effect that impacts significantly more than just their child. If this isn't what they meant hopefully they'll chime in with clarification but that's how I took their comment.
cavscout96
AG
histag10 said:

I took it as "low performing vs. high performing," but yeah.. probably could have been worded better.

performance and income are both factual and objective. "Low end" is ambiguous and easily misconstrued.
LOYAL AG
AG
befitter said:

CSISD is an excellent district and you will be fine in whatever neighborhood you move to. We are constantly growing and there have been multiple zoning changes in recent years. That said...if your 9th grader has any specific extracurricular interests make sure the HS you are zoned for offers those interests as there are a few that are not offered at both. Personally, I had 2 kids that have graduated at both Consolidated and CSHS and have no complaints. Welcome back to Aggieland!
This is a really good point. I will say my son had a good friend through middle school and freshman year at CSHS that transferred to Consol because he was interested in the computer science program (I think) and that wasn't offered at CSHS. The risk here is transportation because it's on you at that point.

Non-sports extracurriculars at CSHS are fantastic. My kids were both in band and my son was in graphic design and animation while my daughter was in Audio Video. Both went to state for competitions in their fields and were well prepared when they got there. Fast forward a few years and my son is a partner in a downtown Bryan media company where he does a lot of design work and our daughter is a sophomore film major at tu where the experiences she had at CSHS put her well above many of her peers with regard to operating cameras, producing shows, editing content, etc. That school prepared both of them well for the fields they wanted to pursue after HS. If you subscribe to the hokey notion that teachers are there to inspire kids Jason Oualine (graphic design and animation, not at CSHS anymore) and Stephen Greene (Audio Video) excelled in this aspect of their jobs. Greene still answers questions for my daughter from time to time as she gets into new projects at tu. Could not have been happier with their extracurricular experiences at CSHS!
CS78
My advice, don't listen to the "they're all good" crowd. There's a reason teachers jump ship for better options. And a reason some neighborhoods appear to offer better value for equal homes.
histag10
AG
CS78 said:

My advice, don't listen to the "they're all good" crowd. There's a reason teachers jump ship for better options. And a reason some neighborhoods appear to offer better value for equal homes.

This! Also, Johnson or Sam Houston in Bryan are absolutely fantastic elementaries. But when you look at school scores, look at the breakdown of what/why. There is a school in Bryan considered underperforming. The only metric that isn't at least average is "diversity". It's in a nicer area of Bryan.
Rapier108
histag10 said:

If you are willing to commute a little, I would suggest Iola or Franklin, honestly (or Mumford if you can find something out there). These are all smaller schools with stellar academics and academic opportunities. And if your kids aren't tier 1 athletes, they will have ample opportunity to compete in athletics as well at these schools.

CSISD rezone constantly to "spread the wealth", and BISD has issues in schools once you get past elementary (though CSISD does too at the middle school level).
I would add Anderson-Shiro to that list.
histag10
AG
Rapier108 said:

histag10 said:

I would add Anderson-Shiro to that list.

Absolutely! I believe they are about to get hounded with students though. There is a new subdivision that is being zoned there, and the new "lake front" subdivision that will be on Gibbons Creek is supposed to be Anderson-Shiro (or so I'm told). I would worry about the sudden increase in students vs what the school is able to accommodate. I'm wondering if it will take a few years to balance out.
CS78
Quote:

There is a new subdivision that is being zoned there, and the new "lake front" subdivision

Hadn't heard of this. Anywhere to find more info?
Stupe
S
CS78 said:

What schools in CSISD are underperforming?
techno-ag
AG
histag10 said:

Iola and Mumford allow transfers. You can live in town while your kids go there if you're willing to drive. I understand a fair number do that for Mumford but Iola is typically a longer drive.

Franklin does not take transfers so yes it would take buying a house somewhere in that district.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
555-PINF
CS78 said:

Quote:

There is a new subdivision that is being zoned there, and the new "lake front" subdivision

Hadn't heard of this. Anywhere to find more info?

Stylecraft has Muirwood or something like that right across 30 from the future dump expansion site (east of current Twin Oaks).

I haven't heard about the one at Gibbons. Looking at a district map, the SE side of the lake is Anderson, the NW is Iola.

I don't know how Anderson is going to absorb a bunch more kids. They'd have to disallow transfers, for sure.
histag10
AG
techno-ag said:

histag10 said:

Iola and Mumford allow transfers. You can live in town while your kids go there if you're willing to drive. I understand a fair number do that for Mumford but Iola is typically a longer drive.

Franklin does not take transfers so yes it would take buying a house somewhere in that district.

Mumford "takes" transfers, but there is an insane wait list for most of elementary. We applied for transfer in 2018 for Kinder starting in 2020. We are still over 10 down their wait list, and have been told maybe 3rd or 4th grade now.

There are some new subdivisions going up in Iola, so that's an option.

There has been some great property for decent prices listed in Robertson Co along 46 or OSR zoned Franklin. And cheaper taxes... lol
histag10
AG
Stupe said:

CS78 said:

What schools in CSISD are underperforming?

Maybe TexAgs is censoring part of that post for me, but I didn't see "underperforming" anywhere. But let's be perfectly honest- there are some CSISD schools that perform and have better cultures than others.
techno-ag
AG
histag10 said:

techno-ag said:

histag10 said:

Mumford "takes" transfers, but there is an insane wait list for most of elementary. We applied for transfer in 2018 for Kinder starting in 2020. We are still over 10 down their wait list, and have been told maybe 3rd or 4th grade now.

There has been some great property for decent prices listed in Robertson Co along 46 or OSR zoned Franklin. And cheaper taxes... lol
That's not a bad idea. OSR is close to done on the repaving. Starlink or Brazos WiFi and someone could have a nice place out in the country.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
histag10
AG
techno-ag said:

histag10 said:

techno-ag said:

histag10 said:

That's not a bad idea. OSR is close to done on the repaving. Starlink or Brazos WiFi and someone could have a nice place out in the country.

I live off of Dick Elliott (Brazos taxes and really shifty Bryan schools- we have been actively trying to transfer for 2 years). If you are off OSR or 46, drop over to Dick Elliott, hit Tabor, then 2776 to 21. Easiest way into town to avoid the 60mph on OSR. They finally opened Dick Elliott back up from the construction, but I suspect they will shut parts down again to finish. The whole thing was supposed to be done by early December 2021. It's not even half finished... (Larry Young Construction).

Edit to add- Rise gets great service out here. There were too many trees to get Brazos WiFi for us.
Stupe
S
If they aren't "all good" then some must be underperforming. I would like to know what schools in CSISD aren't good.
histag10
AG
Stupe said:

If they aren't "all good" then some must be underperforming. I would like to know what schools in CSISD aren't good.

Can you point out where I said not all schools are good? I said some perform better than others...

Also, having a less than desirable culture does not make a school underperforming. Being not as good as some schools doesn't make a school underperforming.
Stupe
S
Why don't you read the thread again and see what post I quoted first.
histag10
AG
Stupe said:

They also didn't say any school was underperforming...

But if you want to get specific, College Hills could use some work, as could Southwood Valley as of late. South Knoll is also borderline, and considered not great when you look at the schools farther south.
cslifer
When you say some campuses "need some work" or are "borderline" what actual evidence are you using to come to that conclusion?
AG81
AG
histag10 said:

I'm sorry your sensibilities were so harmed. What I meant was "high performing" and "low performing". The data is incontrovertible. The subject at hand was in which district could the OPs children be more successful.

I'm not responsible for your asinine assumptions. That you would assume anything other than what was asked in the OP says more about you than me.
AG81
AG
cavscout96 said:

histag10 said:

I took it as "low performing vs. high performing," but yeah.. probably could have been worded better.

performance and income are both factual and objective. "Low end" is ambiguous and easily misconstrued.

Thank you. Since the subject was academic success for the OPs kids, my wording was fine. The social justice warriors among our Texags brethren see "socioeconomic" in every post. The OP didn't reference socioeconomic issues, neither did I.
histag10
AG
cslifer said:

When you say some campuses "need some work" or are "borderline" what actual evidence are you using to come to that conclusion?

Their campus report card, as produced by the state, as well as rankings of public schools done by various private entities.
George Costanza
"CSISD rezone constantly to "spread the wealth"

Huh? Hasn't CSISD only rezoned once since the new high school was built over 10 years ago?
99StationAG
AG
ILTX College Station is a fantastic option, is a Charter School and Public, and is available to anyone interested, regardless of location/address. You apply and get into the waiting list "pool," and because they are public, they don't handpick, it's more of a lottery, with some weight put on siblings, etc.

The tri-lingual (English, Spanish, Chinese) aspect is very "user friendly," meaning they will plug in kiddos to the appropriate level, even if they are brand new to this part, and haven't been attending and studying the languages from the beginning(IE Kinder or 1st).

The Athletics are pretty hit and miss still, as the school here is still relatively young(4th year), but many serious Athletes choose to play Club sports outside of school anyway.

We've been there since our kiddo started Kinder, and she's now in 3rd. Have really enjoyed the fact that we moved locally during this timeframe, and didn't have to worry about that one bit!
gunan01
AG
Let him go. He's on a roll.
gunan01
AG
histag10 said:

Stupe said:

They also didn't say any school was underperforming...

But if you want to get specific, College Hills could use some work, as could Southwood Valley as of late. South Knoll is also borderline, and considered not great when you look at the schools farther south.

Those three schools listed are structurally fine, so I'm assuming you're referring to test scores?

They are also the three schools In CSISD that have the Dual-Language program, which is a really great program if the OP is interested in that. https://www.csisd.org/departments/special_programs/two-_way_dual_language___english_

The dual language native English speakers are tend to be on the higher performing end.
aggiepaintrain
AG
To answer the OP
PC is great and so is PCE

hope you can find a house

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.