OSU Dean Headed Back to Aggieland

3,472 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by techno-ag
Three Seasons
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FYI

https://agsci.oregonstate.edu/home/article/search-interim-dean
techno-ag
AG
Gone are the days of sticking in one place your whole career. Profs and admins jump ship from time to time these days. Welcome back to Aggieland.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Stupe
S
There are not going to be a lot of people that worked with him saying "Welcome Back".
chickencoupe16
AG
So any word on what position he's taking? I'm assuming he's replacing Stover but does anyone know?
Three Seasons
AG
Remember that's an internal search… wonder if they have started vetting candidates yet?
AG81
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

So any word on what position he's taking? I'm assuming he's replacing Stover but does anyone know?
Hussey replaced Stover. Guessing Sams will head Agrilife Extension. Maybe Agrilife Research.
chickencoupe16
AG
AG81 said:

chickencoupe16 said:

Hussey replaced Stover. Guessing Sams will head Agrilife Extension. Maybe Agrilife Research.
Hussey is only interim according to the TAMUS release and according to the grapevine, he very much intends to be temporary.
chickencoupe16
AG
Three Seasons said:

Remember that's an internal search… wonder if they have started vetting candidates yet?
I am not at all familiar with what requirements A&M has with filling a position, but from what I have heard, A&M desires an internal hire because Stover was so universally disliked at and incompatible with A&M. Maybe the legal hurdles of expanding to an external hire would be too big, but I would imagine that if Sams reached out about the position, he would be viewed differently due to his history here.

You may be right about it being too soon for that position.
AG81
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

AG81 said:

chickencoupe16 said:

Hussey is only interim according to the TAMUS release and according to the grapevine, he very much intends to be temporary.

Go back and reread it. Hussey is Acting Dean, not Interim Dean. Big difference. He won't do a 4 year term, but he'll be there at least 2 years. There hasn't even been discussion of a search committee yet, let alone the appointment of one. As of now, there are only a handful of the existing Dean's that aren't interim. Until Banks' reorg is implemented, there won't be any new Deans appointed. Hussey is a known commodity and both Banks and Sharp are comfortable with him. Ag will likely be the last to begin a search.
chickencoupe16
AG
AG81 said:

chickencoupe16 said:

AG81 said:

chickencoupe16 said:

Go back and reread it. Hussey is Acting Dean, not Interim Dean. Big difference. He won't do a 4 year term, but he'll be there at least 2 years. There hasn't even been discussion of a search committee yet, let alone the appointment of one. As of now, there are only a handful of the existing Dean's that aren't interim. Until Banks' reorg is implemented, there won't be any new Deans appointed. Hussey is a known commodity and both Banks and Sharp are comfortable with him. Ag will likely be the last to begin a search.

As I said, the System release specifically states interim. It also specifically states that Drs. Lamb and Avery are not only interim but also the sole finalists for Agrilife Research and Extension, which would preclude Sams from those roles.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/agrilifetoday.tamu.edu/2022/01/19/texas-am-regents-approve-appointments-to-agriculture-leadership/amp/
Jaxson11
AG
NIL money.
EBrazosAg
AG
As a outsider - unless you count being a not getting paid anything associate clinical something or other - all I can see from all of this is how the multiple layers of bureaucracy are just crazy and have to be responsible for large portions of the "cost" of running the university. I'm pretty sure all these positions incur 6 figure salaries with top shelf benefits.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jbr
AG
From OSU statement....
"Please join me in congratulating Alan on his appointment as A&M's vice president for operational innovation and wishing him well in this new role."
chickencoupe16
AG
Not sure where you're seeing that, but thanks.
Tookieclothespin
AG
jbr said:

From OSU statement....
"Please join me in congratulating Alan on his appointment as A&M's vice president for operational innovation and wishing him well in this new role."
Sounds like a title pulled directly out of one of the good ol' boys colons to justify $$$.

I respect it just about the same as I respect the titles startup bros give themselves on linkedin.

FJB
jbr
AG
Click on the link above.
Then go to the office of the provost link in the last sentence. A statement is there.
Three Seasons
AG
Ag81 is spot on... Hussey's return is two-fold, (1) he can do the job... he did it before. (2) Stover didn't even make it to his first review AND is now replaced with the guy that he was "sooooooo much better than...." so serving up a little dose of humility while being "placed" in his new role.

Sams is not a shoo-in to replace Stover, but he can do the job and do it well. There are a couple of people already in Ag that can take over, but I would look for another hire to come in (in another capacity) to have 3 or 4 "internal" people to interview for the position.

...and Gill is NOT one of the existing people in Ag.... she will go back to her department - with her administration days behind her.
techno-ag
AG
Three Seasons said:

Ag81 is spot on... Hussey's return is two-fold, (1) he can do the job... he did it before. (2) Stover didn't even make it to his first review AND is now replaced with the guy that he was "sooooooo much better than...." so serving up a little dose of humility while being "placed" in his new role.

Sams is not a shoo-in to replace Stover, but he can do the job and do it well. There are a couple of people already in Ag that can take over, but I would look for another hire to come in (in another capacity) to have 3 or 4 "internal" people to interview for the position.

...and Gill is NOT one of the existing people in Ag.... she will go back to her department - with her administration days behind her.
Solid analysis. Much appreciated. This is one of the reasons the Aggieland board is so good.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.