College Station Man on Probation for Deadly Crash Accused of 32 Violations

5,352 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lethalninja
lethalninja
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He has been in jail since last Thursday.

https://wtaw.com/college-station-man-accused-more-than-30-probation-violation-charges-after-admitting-causing-fatal-crash/
BCSWguru
?
lethalninja
What are you confused about?
lethalninja
I posted the article a few days late, but it is recent news.
lethalninja
The crash is from 2017 and he pled guilty in 2020, but him being arrested for allegedly violating his probation is recent news.
Broncos
Nobody cares. Tell us something good next time like Buc-ees is coming to town.
Stupe
S
I care. Letting a convicted person get away with that many violations is ridiculous.
maroon barchetta
Stupe said:

I care. Letting a convicted person get away with that many violations is ridiculous.

No kidding. This isn't Harris County.
mtec
I bet the family of the person he killed cares.
Broncos
Stupe said:

You should care less about this specific person and care more about your elected officials allowing it to happen. There are way more dangerous people walking freely in society.
Stupe
S
Why do you think that I said "a" person and not "this" person?

Nobody with that many violations should be out of jail. I don't care if it's parole, probation, or bond.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Broncos said:

Stupe said:

You should care less about this specific person and care more about your elected officials allowing it to happen. There are way more dangerous people walking freely in society.

You can care about both. This guy shoulda been locked up a long time ago.
Muzzleblast
This falls on the Brazos County District Attorney.

The voters put him in office and only the voters can remove him.

This is a bad trend.
Stupe
S
I believe that probation and bond revocation falls on the probation officer and a judge.
JP76
Anyone know the facts of the case ?

Why was the prosecutor so willing to accept a plea to no time for this charge ?

And why wasn't his probation revoked and sentence to the time ?

lethalninja
The prosecutor had an interview on WTAW in which he said that Maredia was offered probation because he was seventeen at the time of the crash, there was no evidence of drug or alcohol impairment (he was driving 87 miles per hour in a 45 mile per hour zone), the son and daughter of the deceased victim thought probation would be acceptable due to his age, and he now has three felony convictions for very serious crimes. The article in my original post mentions that he had to serve sixty days at the time of the plea, and he also had to serve two days every year for six years to coincide with the date before, of, and after the crash.
lethalninja
The DA's office was probably giving him the chance to stop violating probation at first, but when he continued, they let him rack up violations, essentially handing him the keys to his jail cell. The motion to revoke probation was filed mid-December and he was arrested last Thursday, and he faces two to ten years in prison.
maroon barchetta
Bye bye
lethalninja
Yeah, he's getting at least five years.
lethalninja
I haven't updated this for a while, but he had a bond hearing on February 24th and bond was set at $60,000. He was released on February 28th after paying a bondsman ten percent (he was in jail since January 13th), and he hasn't been in trouble since his release. He's still facing up to ten years in prison and he's had status hearings on April 28th and September 1st. His next status hearing is on November 17th. His lawyer, Jim James III (kind of a weird name, cause Jim is a nickname for James, it sounds like Jim Jones, and his name is basically James James III), is a Texas Super Lawyer, so he's in the top five percent of all lawyers in Texas. He was his lawyer for the manslaughter and aggravated assault charges as well.
lethalninja
He used marijuana ten times, drank alcohol three times, used cocaine, ecstasy and benzos one time each, used amphetamines twice, failed to submit to drug and alcohol testing nine times and submitted five diluted urine samples, all within slightly over a year of being placed on probation.
lethalninja
If his probation gets revoked, which is likely to happen, he will most likely serve his entire sentence due to the nature of his offense, his drug use and the fact that he was placed on probation and had it revoked.
lethalninja
To his credit, he was doing his two hundred hours of community service on time (at least ten hours a month), he was reporting to his probation officer, and he didn't get any speeding tickets (which was an explicit condition of his probation). Obviously, it's not good to use illegal drugs on probation, but it's not as if he didn't care about his probation at all.
Smeghead4761
Just out of curiosity, why did you make that 4 separate posts, instead of just one?
lethalninja
It would be too long if it was one post.
woodiewood1
Smeghead4761 said:

Just out of curiosity, why did you make that 4 separate posts, instead of just one?
It's a violation of TexAgs posting rules to use paragraphs in a post.

Didn't you know that?

Robert L. Peters
lethalninja said:

I haven't updated this for a while, but he had a bond hearing on February 24th and bond was set at $60,000. He was released on February 28th after paying a bondsman ten percent (he was in jail since January 13th), and he hasn't been in trouble since his release. He's still facing up to ten years in prison and he's had status hearings on April 28th and September 1st. His next status hearing is on November 17th. His lawyer, Jim James III (kind of a weird name, cause Jim is a nickname for James, it sounds like Jim Jones, and his name is basically James James III), is a Texas Super Lawyer, so he's in the top five percent of all lawyers in Texas. He was his lawyer for the manslaughter and aggravated assault charges as well.

Lol! Don't think that super lawyers means anything. It's an ad campaign by Texas monthly.
rodan85
AG
lethalninja said:

My grandfather was Thomas Fred Thomas - went by Fred.

Names back then were not well thought out.
maroon barchetta
rodan85 said:

lethalninja said:

My grandfather was Thomas Fred Thomas - went by Fred.

Names back then were not well thought out.

I knew a David David.
lethalninja
I know a Brad Bradham.
lethalninja
Each year, Super Lawyers recognizes the top lawyers in Texas via a patented multiphase selection process involving peer nomination, independent research and peer evaluation. The Texas lawyers who receive the highest point totals during this selection process are further recognized in Texas Super Lawyers Top Lists.
trouble
AG
I went to high school with a Jeff Jeffrey
maroon barchetta
lethalninja said:

Each year, Super Lawyers recognizes the top lawyers in Texas via a patented multiphase selection process involving peer nomination, independent research and peer evaluation. The Texas lawyers who receive the highest point totals during this selection process are further recognized in Texas Super Lawyers Top Lists.

This.

It is absolutely as non-biased as Best Of The Brazos.
lethalninja
What are your thoughts on how long he should get if his probation is revoked? I think he should get five to seven years, since he was doing his community service on time, reporting to his probation officer and not getting any speeding tickets, and most of his drug use was from using marijuana or drinking alcohol (not drinking alcohol is a condition of probation in Brazos County). He wasn't drunk or on drugs at the time of the crash (he was driving 87 miles per hour in a 45 mile per hour zone when he was seventeen). One person was killed in the crash, one was seriously injured and another was injured.
lethalninja
Does anyone here think he should get the maximum ten years (or more if it was possible)?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.