Glorious New City Hall

5,535 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Justin2010
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I drove by it today and I like it.
lukesturr
AG
Much better looking building compared to the old town hall. I appreciate the architectural ties to the old train stations in the area. Especially given the name of the city.

Tibbers
Looks nice, I just wish they were better at their jobs. The stuff I heard about the big shots debacle just makes me shrug.
Builder93
AG
The old city hall will be torn down soon. The fire station will be renovated.

BTW, the sign company.is chosen by the GC and approved by the city.
Stupe
S
milner79 said:

Since when do these relatively small towns need these gargantuan municipal structures?

Boerne City Hall (2-3 years old)

College Station and Boerne aren't small towns and both are commuter towns for major cities. Planning for growth is a wise thing to do when constructing new government buildings.

They didn't do that with the old building which is why they had to build a new one.
woodiewood1
duffelpud said:

I finally drove by this masterpiece yesterday. Holy cow, could they make the channel letters hanging from the soffit any larger?

Wonder why they hired an out-of-town company to install them?

I suspect that the GC hired the subcontractor that installed the sign.

Haven't gone it, but if the worst feature of the building is the size of the sign lettering, it must be a great structure!

As far as its size, goes, you normally build buildings for a 30 to 40 year life. Would we want them to come back in five years for more money to add onto the building?
Stupe
S
Quote:

Haven't gone it, but if the worst feature of the building is the size of the sign lettering, it must be a great structure!
The lettering looks great in person.
AggiePhil
AG
I'm genuinely confused by the clock tower being off-center. Just doesn't look right. Maybe it's just me?
Bob2525
Your tax dollars at work! One of the many reasons I'm happy I moved to the outskirts of Bryan.
Stupe
S
Yep. That is my tax dollars at work.
Because of the limited capacity of the old City Hall a new one had to be built. I'm glad that this time they built one that is planning for future growth and looks good.
The city government screws a lot of stuff up, but this isn't one of those times.
maroon barchetta
Stupe said:

Because of the limited capacity of the old City Hall a new one had to be built. I'm glad that this time they built one that is planning for future growth and looks good.
The city government screws a lot of stuff up, but this isn't one of those times.

They should have put it at Chimney Hill and sold the land on Texas for restaurant pad sites.
Stupe
S
If I remember correctly, that wasn't an option. I do wish that they could have put it near the Police and Municipal Court buildings.
Donny Hall
stupid location. the entire place has a mismatch of design compared to surroundings.
Tibbers
maroon barchetta said:

Stupe said:

They should have put it at Chimney Hill and sold the land on Texas for restaurant pad sites.

Agreed, why in the world would they take up valuable land like that when they could have gotten better value for the city by placing it in the middle of nowhere? Meanwhile Bryan is winning the battle for development in both business and jobs. The biotech corridor, midtown, big shots, traditions, lake atlas, etc. It amazes me how differently the cities operate and the stories I've heard of dealing with College Station's city council vs. Bryan's will leave you baffled. Vote them out. We need new, younger leadership.
Stupe
S
I can't remember why, but they couldn't put it at Chimney Hill. It may have been size, zoning, or a combination of several issues. I just remember that it was never a viable option as far as cost.
Hornbeck
Zoning, signage, I'm thinking the rules that apply to anyone else doesn't apply to them.
woodiewood1
maroon barchetta said:

Stupe said:

I guess they didn't want to buy land near Chimney Hill and have to buy buildings that they have to tear down. I don't know where at Chimney Hill was their land large enough for the building and parking? The old fire station is going to be renovated and used in conjunction with city hall. There is benefit to have city services within a quick walk together.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
It's a shame this just popped up after the project was complete. What got me on Texags was reading the Kyle Field Construction Thread every day during that project.

I think it's a great looking building. Yes, the sign is a bit gaudy. I thought simply "College Station" would suffice, but they added the "City Hall" midway through.

If you have been in the old building, you know they were truly in dire need. That place was an absolute dump.
woodiewood1
MyNameIsJeff said:

It's a shame this just popped up after the project was complete. What got me on Texags was reading the Kyle Field Construction Thread every day during that project.

I think it's a great looking building. Yes, the sign is a bit gaudy. I thought simply "College Station" would suffice, but they added the "City Hall" midway through.

If you have been in the old building, you know they were truly in dire need. That place was an absolute dump.
It has been discussed on numerous sites all the way back to the planning stage.
kraut
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

I think "City Hall" would have been sufficient.
maroon barchetta
kraut said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

I think "City Hall" would have been sufficient.

People might forget which city they are in. Better put the name on there.
Justin2010
AG
So much *****ing. We have had the same city hall for decades. It was falling apart. The new one looks great.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.