Glorious New City Hall

5,537 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Justin2010
duffelpud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I finally drove by this masterpiece yesterday. Holy cow, could they make the channel letters hanging from the soffit any larger?

Wonder why they hired an out-of-town company to install them?

"What's this button do?"
Captn_Ag05
AG
Well, they are required to take bids. I imagine the "out-of-town" company had the lowest bid. You can do a Public information Request if you are interested in seeing the bids that were submitted.
doubledog

I like the original one better
rsa
AG
It still looks like we copied Navasota's City Hall . . .

BQ_90
AG
ours looks more like a knock off of Kyle Field
FlyRod
Nice looking building!
Flatlander
I'm curious if the sign meets the city's sign ordinances
MisterShipWreck
Flatlander said:

BQ_90
AG
Flatlander said:

Also did they plant trees like private businesses have to do
maroon barchetta
BQ_90 said:

Flatlander said:

Also did they plant trees like private businesses have to do

Did the city charge themselves for infrastructure upgrades?
Invictibus12
AG
Depends on how you read the verbiage...interpretation plays a large part into how you enforce this ordinance...

I.
Attached Signs.
Attached Signs are commercial signs under this Section.
Attached Signs on any commercial building or tenant lease space shall not exceed a total of two and one-half (2.5) square feet per linear foot of all public entry faades, with a maximum of five hundred (500) square feet of attached signage allowed for any one (1) tenant. Multi-story businesses will be allowed one hundred (100) square feet of additional attached signage.
The division of allowable building signage amongst building tenants shall be the sole responsibility of the owner or property manager, and not the City of College Station.
Signs attached to features such as gasoline pumps, automatic teller machines, mail/package drop boxes, or similar on-site features, if identifiable from the right-of-way, as determined by the Administrator, shall count as part of the allowable sign area of the attached signs for the site. Information contained on such features pertaining to federal and state requirements, and operation/safety instructions are not counted. All other signage on such features shall count towards the allowable attached sign area.
Architectural elements, which are not part of the sign or logo and in no way identify the specific business tenant, shall not be considered attached signage.
An attached sign:
a.
Shall advertise only the name of, uses of, or goods or services available within the building or tenant lease space to which the sign is attached;
b.
Shall be parallel to the face of the building;
c.
Shall not be cantilevered away from the structure;
d.
Shall not extend more than one (1) foot from any exterior building face, mansard, awning, or canopy;
e.
Shall not obstruct any window, door, stairway, or other opening intended for ingress or for needed ventilation or light; and
f.
Shall not be attached to any tree or public utility pole.
Attached Signs may be mounted to site lighting poles located on private property and may be constructed of cloth, canvas, or other flexible material provided such signage is maintained in good condition and complies with the following restrictions:
a.
No part of any sign attached to a light pole will be allowed to overhang or encroach into any portion of the public right-of-way
b.
Light pole signs shall not exceed twelve (12) square feet in area and shall have a minimum of eight (8) feet of clearance from the grade below;
c.
Light pole signs shall only be attached to one (1) side of a light pole;
d.
Light pole signs shall not project more than three (3) feet from the edge of the light pole; and
e.
Light pole signs constructed of cloth, canvas, or other flexible material shall be secured on a minimum of two (2) opposing sides to prevent wind-driven movement.
duffelpud
AG
Square footage looks ok - probably around 200 and they seem to qualify for 350 since it's a multi-story structure and has approximately 100' of frontage. My beef is it just looks, for lack of a better word, tacky. The building is already over-the-top architecturally. It needs some understated elegant cast metal letters to try and anchor it back in the realm of institutional type structures - class it up a little. Instead it gets ginormous nail salon lighted plastic-faced letters on a railroad track suspended in space. Why not just move the colossus statue of EKG in front of it and go full bat****crazy.
"What's this button do?"
maroon barchetta
555-PINF
I wonder if they can make the letters flash in different patterns and change colors.
Smeghead4761
"Attached Signs on any commercial building or tenant lease space"

Since City Hall is a government building, the law doesn't apply.

Do as we say, not as we do, peasants!
duffelpud
AG
Langenator said:

"Attached Signs on any commercial building or tenant lease space"

Since City Hall is a government building, the law doesn't apply.

Do as we say, not as we do, peasants!

E. Exempt Signs.

The following signs are exempt from the requirements of this UDO:

1. Signs that are not easily identified from beyond the boundaries of the lot or parcel on which they are located or from any public thoroughfare or traveled right-of-way, as determined by the Administrator. Such signs are not exempt from the safety regulations contained herein and in City Building and Electrical Codes;

2. Official notices posted by government officials in the performance of their duties: government signs controlling traffic, regulating public conduct, identifying streets, or warning of danger. Bulletin boards or identification signs accessory to government buildings or other buildings are subject to the provisions of this UDO;
"What's this button do?"
momtaxi
Giant waste of tax payer money
techno-ag
AG
momtaxi said:

Giant waste of tax payer money
Gotta spend those high utility surcharges somewhere.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Hornbeck
Apparently, government operates under the "use it or lose it" mentality. I'm curious where that "lost money" goes if they don't use it…
duffelpud
AG
Hornbeck said:

...if they don't use it…

"What's this button do?"
UmustBKidding
There used to be verbage about color. This is why the apostrophe at whiskey charlies, and classic cuts is a different color. Also the reason the center of the O on the old city hall sign was green
milner79
Since when do these relatively small towns need these gargantuan municipal structures?

Boerne City Hall (2-3 years old)

war hymn aggie
AG
Quick question:
are the existing buildings (old Fire Station & old City Hall) around the new City Hall gonna be torn down?
75AG
AG
Some of the more beautiful structures in this state are county courthouses. Brazos County's sucks. So, I'm OK with a nice looking city hall.
althormoon
I think the old city hall will stay. I vaguely remember reading that they're terminating leases the city has for other office space in College Station and relocating those people to the old (and new) city hall. They have several other office spaces for CoCS staff spread across town so this allows them to consolidate some. I don't know anything about the fire station.
BaitShack
AG
war hymn aggie said:

Quick question:
are the existing buildings (old Fire Station & old City Hall) around the new City Hall gonna be torn down?

Looks like it.

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/01/12/college-station-firefighters-conduct-special-training-former-city-hall-before-demolition/
BCSWguru
75AG said:

Some of the more beautiful structures in this state are county courthouses. Brazos County's sucks. So, I'm OK with a nice looking city hall.
Didnt use to be this way. Brazos used to have a very nice courthouse and elected to replace it with the POC they have now.

mgreen
The old city hall is coming down. The old fire station will become the new CVB offices.
Hornbeck
They replaced that beauty with the brutalist gulag we have now? Wow.
BCSWguru
Hornbeck said:

They replaced that beauty with the brutalist gulag we have now? Wow.
1954-ish. It didn't even burn or anything like that. They just decided to tear it down and build the dump they have now. Baffling. Made it from 1892 to 1954.

It's quite entertaining to search newspapers.com for this event. Said it could have the most "revolutionary" courthouse in the state, if not the entire nation. Freakin hilarious.
AggiePhil
AG
UmustBKidding said:

There used to be verbage about color. This is why the apostrophe at whiskey charlies, and classic cuts is a different color. Also the reason the center of the O on the old city hall sign was green

Huh?
PS3D
UmustBKidding said:

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny but the center of the "o" was a vestige of how the rest of the wall actually looked; it was that same color.
UmustBKidding
no not funny, serious. The ordinance said signs had to consist of three colors, and one of those had to match the the background color of the building. There was even a rumored discussion that code enforcement had with Papas group that their signs would be non conformant. This is why the apostrophe on those businesses at tower point is the color of the building not the color of the lettering or their surround. College station also loves to say anything is a sign. When wolf creek car wash painted a stylized flag of the side of their location at rock prairie they were told it was a non conformant sign and must go. At a council meeting the city was called out that the new repaint of the wall at city hall was a non conformant sign, and the green on the O came back.
bco2003
AG
meinkee
I love when Duffelpud starts some...stuff! I fondly recall laughing out loud at his contributions in the era of P. David Romei!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.