Fiber coming - streaming TV recommendations for old/boring couple?

1,697 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by scd88
Uncle Bug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The big orange cable is being laid in our neighborhood and we are looking forward to ditching cable boxes tied to cable outlets (as well as improved network speeds & setting up a mesh network).

For those that have cut the cord, I'd love to hear your TV streaming recommendations for a boring/old couple.

Want:
- Local channels for weather and news
- National "cable" news
- HGTV
- DVR-style capability because we are immune to commercials. Pause/FF is the greatest invention of modern times. Very truly I tell you, I would rather hit pause and listen to 20 dogs barking, a kid throwing a rod in his straight-piped Mustang GT with the sub woofer shaking my walls during a shoot out at a nearby apartment complex than endure another McDonalds or Sandals commercial.

We have Amazon Prime, Curiosity Stream (documentaries and non-fiction), and Apple TV (on the rare occasion we want to watch a movie and not on Prime).

Do not want:
- Movie channels
- Sports channels
- PPV

Someone mentioned a Firestick, but I am not sure if/how I can get the locals through it (I still need a streaming service I think?). Maybe plant an antenna in the attic and somehow tie that to the network or Firestick?

Thanks for any vectors in advance! ...Now back to yelling at clouds.

TChaney
Suggestion number one on streaming services. Take advantage of any free trials. Some are very short periods but you get a chance to use the interface and see how ad free it really is. Or just sign up for one month and try it out. We do this with Disney+ and Netflix, pay for a month if there is something we want to watch, then cancel until other content we are interested in comes out.

With what you listed, I would suggest trying Sling and Philo out. Both should have a free trial and should have cloud DVR services.
YouTubeTV is going to be one of the most inclusive services but the price is up there.

Look for a free with ads service named Pluto TV there are not many ads and it's has a ton of free streaming content all consolidated in one place.

It's a little late but Hulu usually runs a Black Friday special at $1 a month with ads for one year. I know ads can be annoying but you can't beat that price.

The antenna is a great idea for the local broadcast / streaming setup. For this setup I like the ease of use of the Roku TVs. I also throw in a Chromecast to stream anything from the PC to the TV that isn't available through the apps, I assume you can do the same via an Apple TV device. The live TV option is integrated along with all of the Roku channels. I have had pretty good luck with a cheap one I got from Walmart of all places.
KidDoc
AG
Youtube TV with any smart TV will fill all your needs. Not the cheapest option but super easy to use and works great.

If you don't have a smart TV then you can worry about adding a Roku. I would personally avoid firestick as it will really force you into Amazon's ecosytem only although I personally haven't tried to use one in several years.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Average Joe
AG
If it is Frontier then they have a discount with YouTube tv, I believe.
The Anchor
AG
KidDoc said:

Youtube TV with any smart TV will fill all your needs. Not the cheapest option but super easy to use and works great.

If you don't have a smart TV then you can worry about adding a Roku. I would personally avoid firestick as it will really force you into Amazon's ecosytem only although I personally haven't tried to use one in several years.
You don't need a smart TV for YouTube TV. We cast it from our phones to an ancient flat screen TV using a Chromecast.
Uncle Bug
AG
Follow up/review:

1Gb service installed - came with two eero's (WiFi6 mesh) and the network works just fine. New box installed in garage to feed switch box in the house that connects to the Eero. There's a little more range than my previous ASUS router riding Suddenlink's service (including their boxes that doubles as TV). 3yr contract $60/mo.

I needed streaming and subscribed to DTV Stream ($90/mo - no contract) and bought a fire stick for the older Samsung (for some reason, DTV Stream is not available for download on a Samsung).

Combined, I'm paying about $30 less than Suddenlink for internet and TV. In addition, since DTV Stream is month-month, I might try some of the other services noted above soon. My favorite improvement is that I am no longer tied to a cable outlet with box... power cord is all that is needed to set a TV wherever you like - even in the backyard!

Notable, it was about three weeks before the tech came out and buried the fiber cable from the street to the house.
scd88
AG
Thanks, uncle bug. Good information.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.