Rock Prarie Construction by the Barracks

2,291 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MisterShipWreck
Tim Weaver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My son was out with his friends last night and was driving through this area. Around 2am He hit a spot where they've dug out the pavement to lay a culvert. They had this filled in with gravel, but the gravel was dug out so much that when he hit it it popped a tire. He drove to the closest parking lot and there was a cadillac with 2 popped tires.

I talked to the Cadillac owner today (She left her number on her car) and she told me the tire shop found that her rims were bent.

She also told me that when it happened to her, she pulled over (same parking lot) next to another car that had tires, wheels, and undercarriage damage. Neither she nor I know who these people are.

If you know someone who damaged their car at this construction zone can you post up here? I'd like to get all of us together and try to get reimbursed by the city.

My son took some good pictures of the area, and had three freinds in his car that witnessed it.

And before anybody asks what 4 teenage boys were doing out that late, they were playing 4 square! lol. These are good kids....
PS3D
The speed limit is 30 in the construction zone partially because of problems like this, were these people barreling down at 50?
Vinewood_03
Nothing good happens after mid-night.
Tim Weaver
PS3D said:

The speed limit is 30 in the construction zone partially because of problems like this, were these people barreling down at 50?
No. They were taking the detour at the speed limit. There was a chunk of missing pavement that was supposed to have gravel in it, but it didn't. They hit a 6 to 8 inch tall square edge of concrete at 30 ish mph. That's plenty enough to seriously damage any car.
Tim Weaver
It's really hard to get a sense of scale in these images, but the edge of his hand is against the ground (gravel) in this pic. And the square edge of the pavement is above it. My son is 6'3" for a sense of how big his hads are.

And this is what it looks like as you approach.

Grey gravel against grey pavement. This is one of those holes that should have a big metal plate over it. Plain and simple.

Standing still at night, you can't see it.

Txag17
AG
I have not had any damage but know exactly where you are talking about.
www.gascustomhomes.com
Tibbers
Tim Weaver said:

My son was out with his friends last night and was driving through this area. Around 2am He hit a spot where they've dug out the pavement to lay a culvert. They had this filled in with gravel, but the gravel was dug out so much that when he hit it it popped a tire. He drove to the closest parking lot and there was a cadillac with 2 popped tires.

I talked to the Cadillac owner today (She left her number on her car) and she told me the tire shop found that her rims were bent.

She also told me that when it happened to her, she pulled over (same parking lot) next to another car that had tires, wheels, and undercarriage damage. Neither she nor I know who these people are.

If you know someone who damaged their car at this construction zone can you post up here? I'd like to get all of us together and try to get reimbursed by the city.

My son took some good pictures of the area, and had three freinds in his car that witnessed it.

And before anybody asks what 4 teenage boys were doing out that late, they were playing 4 square! lol. These are good kids....

Ah yes the ole "playing four square" defense. Certainly not mainlining heroin. Nooooo. These are good kids!
Tim Weaver
They had it filled in again this morning and when we finally got a tire put on and went back for his car there were a couple guys there in a construction truck standing by the hole. I don't know what they are doing, but it's my guess some one told them to continually rake the gravel in so it doesn't migrate out of the hole.
Tim Weaver
Tibbers said:

Tim Weaver said:

Ah yes the ole "playing four square" defense. Certainly not mainlining heroin. Nooooo. These are good kids!
These kids' grades and scholarships would say otherwise. Trust me. I was a hooligan at his age. They are not.
doubledog
I sympathize, however you are fighting the "pot hole" war. In my experience the city/contractor always win. They can counter that they did their minimum duty by filing in the pothole. They are therefor not liable for actions of others who may have damaged the repair.
duffelpud
AG
Reminds me of the "speed bumps" in Belize, aka, 'sleeping policemen'. Imagine a 6" tall slab of concrete across the road and you get a good idea of what it is. You have to approach them and come to an almost complete stop, then easy your wheels up on and then over them. They look like this:

...and are preceded (sometimes) by a sign like this:

"What's this button do?"
Tim Weaver
Yeah I know I'm probably on the losing side. I was just hoping to find one or two more people with damage so we can approach the city together.

I just talked to the Cadillac lady again and Discount tire told her all 4 tires were bad and two rims bent. She's out some serious coin, but the people she met last night (we don't have their names) had clearly broken rims and they bottomed out evidently. Tore some stuff up underneath.

I'm very lucky that my kid was driving a Saab 9-2x (Basically a subaru WRX) which is pretty well known to take some serious abuse. He popped one tire and the alignment is off now (car has cheap coilovers and the camber bolts all slipped).

So yeah, the one lowered bro-mobile with 4 full sized teens in it had the least amount of damage! lol.
lockett93
AG
My wife and I drove by late one night and saw 3 cars in the vet business parking lot changing tires. It wasn't 2AM, closer to 11:00PM
Tim Weaver
Just as an update if you hit this pothole and damaged your car, call the city and ask for "Risk Assessment". The lady there will take your name and send it to the contractor. They are supposed to start contacting people for remediation.

Evidently there were dozens of cars damaged. They don't know how many because not everyone has called the city.
momtaxi
Yup I know these 2 areas all to well. I didn't have any damage but have gone through them a few times.

This construction is taking forever. I have gone through there at multiple points in the day and there is usually 1 or 2 people working there. At most on a Saturday I saw about 5 or 6 working but when I drove through again about noon they were gone.
It's like as soon as the city said they could start they tore up all the pavement and and that was it. Like marking their territory like a dog. For a main thoroughfare in that Area you'd think the city would have some sort of hurried stipulation to get this done. Of course this is the COCS that really only cares about building more buildings to get that tax money in
MisterShipWreck
Vinewood_03 said:

Nothing good happens after mid-night.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.