STEM for Kids in Aggieland

1,282 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggiePhil
sarah.guinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I work for Byrd Academy, a new nonprofit that is offering STEM opportunities for kids in the area, and I have a few questions for parents of kiddos (ages 5-16) in Aggieland. We are trying to get feedback to make sure that we are really meeting the needs of parents and students.

[ol]
  • Are you interested in getting your kid involved in a STEM program where they get to create and take home items and learn 3d printing, electronics, and coding?
  • How old is/are your kid(s)?
  • If yes to #1, which of the following sounds best and which sounds the worst?
  • (a) a year-long after school course 1 hour 1x a week, (b) a 6-8 week after school course 1 hour 1x a week, (c) a 4-6 hour workshop that meets on a Saturday, (d) a weekend STEM conference-type event, or (e) something else (if so, please tell me what would be better)
  • Is $100 a month (even if not paid monthly) a reasonable amount to pay (taking into consideration both the value of the event and your current budget)? If not, what is the most you would pay?
  • [/ol]
    spike427
    AG
    Mine are almost 13, almost 10, 7 and 3. My older 2 would definitely love something like that. Having activities available in the morning or early afternoon during the week for homeschool kids would be a plus. Our schedule could take on something 1-2x a month, with cost being $15-25/session per kid.
    sarah.guinn
    Thanks so much for your response!

This is so helpful! We've thought about trying to create some courses specifically for kids who are home schooling so it's good to know we're on the right track!
    ShinerBlonde
    AG
    I have a 12 year old and a 15 year old who both have an interest in STEM. We did fungineering until they closed and then switched to Code Ninjas. We stopped Code Ninjas a few months after COVID started in 2020 because it was just too expensive and we didn't get to make up all the missed classes we paid for during lockdown. We also have done STEM camp through A&M in the summer. My oldest is in a Coding Society Club that meets once a month for an hour and a half and is free. Now that both of mine are older and have STEM classes at school I feel less inclined to pay for a STEM activity unless they really enjoy it and feel like they are learning from it. $100 a month per kid for 4 hours a month seems about what other places would charge but it's more than we would pay with 2 kids who already do STEM every day at school. I would be interested in signing them up for like a weekend camp where it is several hours and they could have time to do a project from beginning to end. I think this is a great idea and I'd love to hear what you guys end up doing.
    Frisco
    AG
    I have a 7 yr old and a Saturday event start to finish would probably be best. She'd love it.
    TyHolden
    AG
    Kumon is this area is a jokeā€¦
    AggiePhil
    AG
    Cost would be our concern. We did a free trial at Code Ninjas and both kids LOVED it. Unfortunately, the price was out of reach for us with two kids.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.