Mayors gonna mayor (spend $).

8,550 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by EBrazosAg
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Karl can't get in his new city hall before he starts (again) his every 12 month push for a YMCA no one wants or needs.

https://www.kbtx.com/app/2022/01/10/mayor-mooney-college-stations-next-big-project/
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
woodiewood1
I loved his comment that was something like, "we have a lot of money in the budget that we need to identify areas that it can be spent."

Why not either save it for future use on essentials or return to the taxpayers?

Government never quenches its thirst for other people's money.

deh40
AG
No one goes to vote and we keep ending up with the same people as mayor and council.
MisterShipWreck
woodiewood1 said:

You can't do that

That would be the right thing to do....
MarineBQ04
AG
Actually there are some of us that would love to have a YMCA in town. They would offer so much more kids/family programming than any of the other facilities we have in town.
BQ_90
AG
So the new city hall can host weddings. Thanks goodness, there wasn't anywhere in town where you could hold a wedding.
doubledog
EBrazosAg said:

Karl can't get in his new city hall before he starts (again) his every 12 month push for a YMCA no one wants or needs.

https://www.kbtx.com/app/2022/01/10/mayor-mooney-college-stations-next-big-project/
Taj Mahal IV. Vanity project : one of these buildings will have his name on it, I guarantee....
TommyBrady
AG
Bring in one of these.

https://chickennpickle.com/

Then partner with TAMU to build a rec facility in CS that would allow for Indoor Tennis Courts to be partially financed by TAMU and also be there for the public when the University isn't using it. Would allow for top of the line facilities while also allowing for future tournaments and public use.

Also would try to partner with TAMU to build a STEM children facility that would be informative and immersive that would be able to use student workers to help staff the facility and allow field trips from all over the area to help kids get interested in science.

Brian Alg
Why should CS taxpayers be forced to subsidize your gym membership?
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
BCSWguru
Mooney ever do anything except cry to KBTX about Brazos County not having a medical examiners office?
InMyOpinion
MisterShipWreck said:

woodiewood1 said:

You can't do that

Or is it possible that money was received with a specific use required?
Eliminatus
AG
CS is really starting to remind me of Eagleton from Parks and Rec...
woodiewood1
InMyOpinion said:

MisterShipWreck said:

woodiewood1 said:

You can't do that

Or is it possible that money was received with a specific use required?
Possibly, but his comment of identifying projects to spend it on makes little sense. If it was, I would have though he would have said something like, we still have $XXX dollars that we can use towards projects that we have discussed like a YMCA, new park in XXX part of town, etc.

I would think that any tax money collected regardless of being targeted with a specific use, could be returned to the taxpayers?
EBrazosAg
AG
I'm not anti Y. But Mooney has begged the Houston and Central Texas Ys to help out and neither is interested because there isn't a demand. I'm all for what ever the community wants -….. but it appears a Y ain't it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cslifer
With the newest census I think Brazos county may be at point of needing one…
BCSWguru
cslifer said:

With the newest census I think Brazos county may be at point of needing one…

We needed one a decade ago. Maybe longer.
rsa
AG
EBrazosAg said:

I'm not anti Y. But Mooney has begged the Houston and Central Texas Ys to help out and neither is interested because there isn't a demand. I'm all for what ever the community wants -….. but it appears a Y ain't it.
Exactly! Just like all of the restaurants and businesses that have said "no" to College Station and Bryan, the folks with the YMCA have done their homework and have not found the base they need for a successful YMCA.
Rexter
deh40 said:

No one goes to vote and we keep ending up with the same people as mayor and council.

Single member districts would help a lot…
woodiewood1
Rexter said:

deh40 said:

Single member districts would help a lot…
Those persons interested enough vote. That's fine with me.
George Costanza
We don't "need" one.
wareagle044
What's so special about a YMCA?
cslifer
I stand corrected. According to state law the threshold has been moved up to 2 million. Looks like we will keeping paying Travis county for the next 20 years.
duffelpud
AG
woodiewood1 said:

I loved his comment that was something like, "we have a lot of money in the budget that we need to identify areas that it can be spent."

Paging Dr. D.R....

"What's this button do?"
Tookieclothespin
AG
rsa said:

EBrazosAg said:

Exactly! Just like all of the restaurants and businesses that have said "no" to College Station and Bryan, the folks with the YMCA have done their homework and have not found the base they need for a successful YMCA.

ymca probably takes one look at the tamu rec center and says "nah they already have that"
FJB
birdman
I wish they would be a multi-court indoor soccer facility. I realize that doesn't serve the community very well, but I'd like it.
EMY92
AG
LSCSN said:

Mooney ever do anything except cry to KBTX about Brazos County not having a medical examiners office?
Brazos County - approx. pop 230,000
McLennan County - approx. pop 260,000
Bell County - approx. pop 330,000

None have an ME, actually, there are only 24 medical examiners in the entire state of Texas.
BCSWguru
EMY92 said:

LSCSN said:

Brazos County - approx. pop 230,000
McLennan County - approx. pop 260,000
Bell County - approx. pop 330,000

None have an ME, actually, there are only 24 medical examiners in the entire state of Texas.
Thank you for proving my point.
EBrazosAg
AG
At our population we won't get one without coop with Conroe imho. That would be pretty useful for the N Houston suburbs. But then every large entity in the coop wants the office in their city……it's easier to just build a YMCA
TellMeMore
What difference would single member districts make with this?
UmustBKidding
The reason it would help is that the csan special interest cartel that puts up these candidates live in basically one area, east of tx between university and harvey. If canidates were required to reside in their district and you vote in your district their power would be greatly reduced. These are the must close munson to through traffic gang of the 80s.
Stupe
S
Tookieclothespin said:

rsa said:

EBrazosAg said:

ymca probably takes one look at the tamu rec center and says "nah they already have that"
That's comparing apples and oranges. That facility wouldn't have any effect on the YMCA building in this area.
Rexter
TellMeMore said:

What difference would single member districts make with this?

Ok….I'll tell you more.

The issue with places instead of districts is that the group on council is not representative of the city. In my 30 years here, it seems that the majority of the council has been comprised of people from a small area or two. Districts would require that the council member live in said district, hopefully leading to a closer understanding of the needs of the constituents in that district. It would prevent two or more council members from living in the same area.

Donny Hall
UmustBKidding said:

The reason it would help is that the csan special interest cartel that puts up these candidates live in basically one area, east of tx between university and harvey. If canidates were required to reside in their district and you vote in your district their power would be greatly reduced. These are the must close munson to through traffic gang of the 80s.

College Hills was one of the only neighborhoods in the 80s. They considered southwood valley "out in the country" lol
Donny Hall
Does anyone know what they are going to do with all the weird looking adobe pink buildings surrounding the new city hall?

AggiePhil
AG
Demolish them.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.