Mayors gonna mayor (spend $).

8,696 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by EBrazosAg
Brian Alg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Exactly. The area around campus used to be the most densely developed area. CSAN types have been successful in temporarily turning the city inside out from what it used to be and what makes sense from a compatible use perspective. Once we are able to dislodge the CSANers from council, market forces will correct those problems and this city is going to do so well. I am stoked.
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
EliteElectric
Donny Hall said:

Does anyone know what they are going to do with all the weird looking adobe pink buildings surrounding the new city hall?

Pappadeaux / Pappasitos location

I kid I kid
maroon barchetta
Brian Alg said:

Exactly. The area around campus used to be the most densely developed area. CSAN types have been successful in temporarily turning the city inside out from what it used to be and what makes sense from a compatible use perspective. Once we are able to dislodge the CSANers from council, market forces will correct those problems and this city is going to do so well. I am stoked.

And you are going to accomplish this feat with future higher voter turnout by doing….
TellMeMore
Oh I get the idea that council members are clustered. So let's try to draw those district boundaries for College Station, I am guessing that would be based on an approximate equal population in each district. Based on the density and residency profile of the population let's see how that would play out. It would be grand to see that charter revision proposed.
Tookieclothespin
AG
Stupe said:

Tookieclothespin said:

rsa said:

EBrazosAg said:

I'm not anti Y. But Mooney has begged the Houston and Central Texas Ys to help out and neither is interested because there isn't a demand. I'm all for what ever the community wants -….. but it appears a Y ain't it.
Exactly! Just like all of the restaurants and businesses that have said "no" to College Station and Bryan, the folks with the YMCA have done their homework and have not found the base they need for a successful YMCA.

ymca probably takes one look at the tamu rec center and says "nah they already have that"
That's comparing apples and oranges. That facility wouldn't have any effect on the YMCA building in this area.
I'd like to see one. I have no interest in being a rec member but would sign up for the Y in a heartbeat. So I can appreciate the many differences and benefits (especially those to families and seniors). However, many businesses do not understand our community as anything other than a college town. This leads to the mistaken assumption that our university is the community center and that we utilize it as our venue of choice.

FJB
lost my dog
What does a Y offer that the many commercial gyms in town do not? (I'm genuinely curious)
Smeghead4761
lost my dog said:

What does a Y offer that the many commercial gyms in town do not? (I'm genuinely curious)
My family had a membership at the local Y when we lived in Virginia (Newport News). The big attraction for us was the pool (indoor), specifically swimming lessons during the school year, because we home schooled. There were enough homeschoolers in the area to make classes viable.
UmustBKidding
Additional taxes to the citizens.
scs01
lost my dog said:

We previously lived in Lexington, KY, and have really missed the Y. The Y was MUCH more of a community and family resource than commercial gyms typically are. It is nonprofit, and it really showed in the overall programming, philosophy, accessibility, and feel when compared with a commercial gym. Ours had great facilities and broad programming for both kids and adults. If you want a feeling for it, go to:

https://ymcacky.org/locations/cm-gatton-beaumont-ymca

Look under "programs", and you'll see a ton of stuff there. Some of the programs are more recreational/developmental, and some could be more competitive.

Things we miss--Pool facilities and programming were both great (swim lessons, swim team). Outstanding child care options while working out (at least one local commercial gym has completely gotten rid of theirs). Excellent family membership rate, programming, and accessibility--many commercial gyms don't really want kids in their facilities, especially at a younger age but the Y had a ton of stuff for the kids at a very reasonable cost. Broader programming, e.g., they hosted a "peanut butter and jelly" series by the local orchestra for kids, CPR classes, after-school and summer programming for the kids, senior activities...you name it.

Of course much of the stuff I've listed is available in other places in the community, and I don't know about the viability of a Y here. But I'd love to see one.

EBrazosAg
AG
You answered your own ? The facilities are already present here. Therefore little community support. Except from the mayor who can't wait to spend more $$
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
scs01
EBrazosAg said:

You answered your own ? The facilities are already present here. Therefore little community support. Except from the mayor who can't wait to spend more $$
First, I didn't ask a question, so I have no clue why you're claiming I answered one. Second, your response pretty much completely misses the point of my post. Yes, our Y had nice facilities, as do quite a few commercial gyms in town. But it was the philosophy--the community and family-focused nonprofit orientation--that set it apart from anything College Station offers.

My post was meant to answer a question about why a Y is different than commercial gyms in the area, which I did based on my own experience. I don't have any clue about the finances of building one here and didn't advocate for it. I just said we would love to have something in town similar to the Y we experienced in the past. I don't know why you turned that into a political point.
spike427
AG
How much did a family membership cost per month? Did you have to pay separately for classes or lessons?
scs01
spike427 said:

How much did a family membership cost per month? Did you have to pay separately for classes or lessons?
The current membership fees for the Y we were at are here:

https://ymcacky.org/rates-and-fees

$89 for a household (two adults + kids). I think we paid in the mid-$70s/month 10-15 years ago.

My memory is that things like basic fitness classes, open gym for the kids, babysitting while working out, etc. were included in the rate, with stuff like personal training extra. There were extra fees (maybe cheaper for members) for lessons, leagues, etc.
maroon barchetta
Perhaps the mayor of CS can use extra money to upgrade the kitchens of the fire stations.

I've encountered fire engines at HEB and Kroger over the years. Buying groceries to take to the station.

I've toured the station at University and Tarrow. It's impressive.

That full commercial kitchen must need some updates since it doesn't allow the firefighters to prepare breakfast. Otherwise I wouldn't pass by Fuego and see the pumper truck parked there to go get tacos as often as I do.

Get those kitchens upgraded.
Stupe
S
What a pathetic attempt to troll the board and complain about the fire stations.
woodiewood1
Stupe said:

Tookieclothespin said:

rsa said:

EBrazosAg said:

I'm not anti Y. But Mooney has begged the Houston and Central Texas Ys to help out and neither is interested because there isn't a demand. I'm all for what ever the community wants -….. but it appears a Y ain't it.
Exactly! Just like all of the restaurants and businesses that have said "no" to College Station and Bryan, the folks with the YMCA have done their homework and have not found the base they need for a successful YMCA.

ymca probably takes one look at the tamu rec center and says "nah they already have that"
That's comparing apples and oranges. That facility wouldn't have any effect on the YMCA building in this area.
The A&M Rec center is open to a lot of people that are not current students. With the new Rec center being built there may be a shorter waiting period for use of equipment and facilities? It probably would be a function of membership cost. It could affect the number of those groups paying for a YMCA membership.
"
  • Texas A&M University Former Students
  • A&M Faculty/staff and spouse
  • Siblings of any currently enrolled student at Texas A&M University or a Faculty/Staff member
  • Non-married partners/roommates/household members of a currently enrolled student at Texas A&M University or a Faculty/Staff member
  • Bryan/College Station residents with no affiliation to Texas A&M University
  • Blinn College Students"
FamousAgg
maroon barchetta said:

Perhaps the mayor of CS can use extra money to upgrade the kitchens of the fire stations.

I've encountered fire engines at HEB and Kroger over the years. Buying groceries to take to the station.

That full commercial kitchen must need some updates since it doesn't allow the firefighters to prepare breakfast. Otherwise I wouldn't pass by Fuego and see the pumper truck parked there to go get tacos as often as I do.

Do you live in your office too?
woodiewood1
maroon barchetta said:

I am curious. If they can cook other meals, why can't they cook breakfast? A two burning elect cooktop can cook eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes. Add a waffle maker and a counter top oven for biscuits and you have all that most people have at home.

If you point is is that they shouldn't be going out to eat, I have no issue with that. They should be able to go eat at restaurants like many people do during their lunch hour, I am glad they have their equipment with them at all times as I had a fire at noon at my house off if Deacon and I am glad they responded within 10 minutes.
maroon barchetta
BattleGrackle said:

maroon barchetta said:

My office didn't cost $6 million and doesn't have sleeping quarters, weight room, media room, and commercial kitchen.
FamousAgg
The trucks are about a half million a piece, those are probably too expensive, let's get them some buckets
maroon barchetta
I love the trucks.

I just don't understand loading up on groceries so you can drop them at the station and then drive to a restaurant.

They are missing a chance to Guy Fieri it up in that Allsome kitchen.
happyinBCS
are you intoxicated?
maroon barchetta
No more than the normal TexAgs poster.
Stupe
S
maroon barchetta said:

BattleGrackle said:

maroon barchetta said:

My office didn't cost $6 million and doesn't have sleeping quarters, weight room, media room, and commercial kitchen.
There is a shortage of firefighters and paramedics in Texas. Do you want the people that will take a job anywhere or people that choose the best department out of several choices. A lot of them will take less money at a department that has nice facilities.
Knowyourbusiness69
I think the money should be spent on something else. The fire department goes to buy steaks from the grocery stores almost every shift, maybe the fire department budget is just fine amd they need to allocate their own money better?

And as a side note, I'm responsible for bringing my own lunch to work everyday and I'm not allowed to go pick something up on company time. Just some food for thought...
Stupe
S
Knowyourbusiness69 said:

I think the money should be spent on something else. The fire department goes to buy steaks from the grocery stores almost every shift, maybe the fire department budget is just fine amd they need to allocate their own money better?

And as a side note, I'm responsible for bringing my own lunch to work everyday and I'm not allowed to go pick something up on company time. Just some food for thought...
You think the fire department pays for the food of the employees?

Whenever I think that I've read the most uninformed post on here, another one takes its place at the top.
EliteElectric
As a taxpayer- I don't care if the guys that are risking their lives to protect me, my loved ones and my property eat steaks every day on me. I would rather feed them everyday than beurocrats
Knowyourbusiness69
The Fire department may not be paying for the food per say. However it does pay for the fuel and the trucks that take them there. Besides the firefighters are paid more than well as evidenced by their full carts everyday at HEB.
Stupe
S
The funniest thing about that post is that poster's name is "Knowyourbusiness".

Stupe
S
You think that 6-10 people buying food for two or three meals isn't going to fill a grocery cart?
Stupe
S
Quote:

Besides the firefighters are paid more than well as evidenced by their full carts everyday at HEB.
This was today in St. Louis while you weren't allowed to leave your work at lunch.

Firefighter dies when roof collapses

I'm not sure when this picture of him was taken.

This picture of him was taken today.

Here is a link to a bunch of Facebook pages where you can post that he was paid "more than well" for his job.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=Ben%20Polson

Rexter
FamousAgg
Knowyourbusiness69 said:

The fire department doesn't pay for the food. That comes out of the employees pockets.
FamousAgg
Knowyourbusiness69 said:

The Fire department may not be paying for the food per say. However it does pay for the fuel and the trucks that take them there. Besides the firefighters are paid more than well as evidenced by their full carts everyday at HEB.

$20 an hour "paid more than well"
mgreen
My family damn near lived at the YMCA growing up. I would love one here.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.