Mom and Pop breakfast place in BCS?

3,667 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by InMyOpinion
Aggieland Proud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trying to find a locally owned breakfast place in BCS. Something other than the Denny's, IHOP, and such. I prefer the old fashioned cafe where locals gather and I can go to enjoy the company of the folks there, too.
FlyRod
3rd on Main, The Village in downtown Bryan.
maroon barchetta
I think Hullabaloo Diner is doing breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. Check their social media. I think they open at 9am
555-PINF
Kott's Cafe in Anderson is the closest place I know of. I never found anything in CS that fits what you're describing.
CS78
If it's not a taco, we're severely lacking in breakfast options.
mason12
AG
Unfortunately I would say the Kettle is the closest I have seen. They have there regulars in there getting coffee and breakfast in the mornings.
Gunner0740
Zeitmans grocery in downtown Bryan has really good breakfast sandwiches and showcase some local small business in the store
toolshed
AG
Frank's store in Steephollow does breakfast plates and tacos. Prices seem reasonable. Lots of locals hang out there vs being a regular restaurant atmosphere.
halibut sinclair
Casa Rod
FlyRod
Casa Rod is more of a Grandmom and Grandpop breakfast place.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod said:

Casa Rod is more of a Grandmom and Grandpop breakfast place.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Grandmom and grandpop are probably somebody's mom and pop.
Aggie@state.gov
AG
Another Broken Egg, Stella Southern Kitchen, Toasted Yolk, First Watch, Mess, etc.

You may have a different opinion on the quality, but the number of options has definitely increased just in 2 years.
bushytailed
AG
Don't underestimate pancakes at a Mexican restaurant.
jja79
AG
Why not?
jac4
AG
bushytailed said:

Don't underestimate pancakes at a Mexican restaurant.
Good point, Yole's has my favorite pancakes.

Of the places listed above, Stella Southern Cafe and the Village cafe would the closest to what OP is looking for IMO. But I think what they are actually wanting is like a Waffle House type place but not a chain.
BQwolf05
AG
Stella (biscuit place) is good place. As someone that grew up in a restaurant, I had a flash backs to my youth my first time there. Saw the owners son cleaning tables, bringing drinks to us, same thing I did when I was in middle school.
techno-ag
AG
Stella's is owned by the Lairs who also own Harvey Washbangers. Good people.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
jeffk
AG
Another vote for Village. Also, Babe's donuts has some great breakfast sandwiches if you're ever in the mood for that.
dubi
AG
Aggieland Proud said:

Trying to find a locally owned breakfast place in BCS. Something other than the Denny's, IHOP, and such. I prefer the old fashioned cafe where locals gather and I can go to enjoy the company of the folks there, too.

Whataburger on Dominick is a place older gentleman get together in the morning. I'm not sure it is back to
Pre-covid levels, but you might stop by.
woodiewood1
Most everything mentioned would not be considered, "the old fashioned cafe where locals gather."

The Kettle would be the closest thing that I have seen in this town to a good greasy spoon cafe.

Over the past 40 years, there has been five different groups meet at the WB on Dominik. Still not the old fashioned cafe where locals gather.

The closest one I have eaten at is the Santa Fe & SP Cafe in Brenham in the old part of town on the RR track.
FlyRod
The original Deluxe was this very place back in its day.
bobinator
AG
Yeah we love the Village and La Carreta but they're not really a "go and chat people up" place.

The Kettle would be my guess also for something like that.
mmalts97
AG
El Sol de Mexico at Texas and MLK in Bryan
AgSportsFan
AG
The Kettle fits the bill for this
Aggieland Proud
AG
Thanks all! I see some of you folks are from a small town and know what I'm talking about. I miss that "spot" in BCS.
trouble
AG
La familia in downtown had what you are looking for but I don't know if they ever reopened the dining room.

The same guys were in the every morning, at the same tables, telling lies and doing business.
halibut sinclair
Shipley's on Villa Maria used to have that vibe with old dudes drinking coffee and hanging out. Not sure if that's still the case.
woodiewood1
Someone needs to put a Waffle House or Pit Grill across from campus.
techno-ag
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Or at least on the bypass.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
rsa
AG
techno-ag said:

woodiewood1 said:

Or at least on the bypass.
We won't have full SEC cred until we have at least 3 Waffle Houses in College Station/Bryan.
mwm
The Kettle at SWP is my "go to" breakfast spot.

Stella has good food, and it's my wife's preference, but it is a little to much "foo foo & poodle dog" for me.

The Kettle almost always has a group of firemen, police officers, sheriff's deputies, and DPS officers there.

They also have a great group of older gentlemen (80+ for the most part, except Steve) every Saturday morning. The unique thing about this group this group is that they are all widowers. They laugh & tell stories (often, the same stories each week). I really enjoy overhearing their chatter.

The ladies who work the tables are just the best. They are kind, help each other keep the coffee flowing, and are pleasant even if it's 7 o'clock on a Saturday morning.

Good Lord willing, I'll be there next Saturday morning.
Txag17
AG
Hullabaloo Diner is definitely a good one. They are open for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. They have the "old school" diner feel.

My personal go-to's are always Mi Familia Coco Loco or Garpez (I could eat breakfast tacos everyday LOL).
www.gascustomhomes.com
InMyOpinion
FlyRod said:

The original Deluxe was this very place back in its day.
Yep - Wife and I loved that place.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.