Computer repair rec

1,355 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by EagleLM
michellecan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure if it's hard drive but something is fried. Had a very light surge, blew out my computer, my sound bar and sub woofer (in another room). Had surge protectors on all of it, good ones. Called Systek and they no longer repair hard drives. They had no suggestions either. So any help would be most appreciative!

TIA!
dubi
AG
Good surge protectors have warranties.

Are yours still covered? I'd start there.
skeetboy3
AG
http://brazosvalleycomputers.com/ Did a good build for me.
techno-ag
AG
Hard drive recovery can get expensive. Avinext referred us to a place in Houston a few years ago. It's not cheap.

You might try posting in the Nerdery for other places that do it. In the future consider a backup service that copies your hard drive to the cloud all the time. Well worth it at times like this.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
dubi
AG
Quote:

In the future consider a backup service that copies your hard drive to the cloud all the time.
I use Backblaze for our 4 computers.
ratfacemcdougal
I had a hard drive recovery done by Best Buy. They tried in store and could not get it, so they sent it away and was able to do the recovery. Price was reasonable...they will push you to buy their 1 year service which in the end did save me.
Tailgate88
AG
michellecan said:

Not sure if it's hard drive but something is fried. Had a very light surge, blew out my computer, my sound bar and sub woofer (in another room). Had surge protectors on all of it, good ones. Called Systek and they no longer repair hard drives. They had no suggestions either. So any help would be most appreciative!

TIA!
The hard drive itself may be fine, it could just be the power supply, or it could be the motherboard, but the data on the drive is fine. When you power it up, do you get any lights at all? If not, possibly the power supply.

I'd recommend using one of the local smaller repair places to pull the drive and see if the data is still on it.
skeetboy3
AG
Tailgate88 said:

michellecan said:

TIA!
The hard drive itself may be fine, it could just be the power supply, or it could be the motherboard, but the data on the drive is fine. When you power it up, do you get any lights at all? If not, possibly the power supply.

I'd recommend using one of the local smaller repair places to pull the drive and see if the data is still on it.
if you are affiliated with TAMU, help desk central will pull it and look if the drive is operable for free and transfer data to a jump drive.
EagleLM
techno-ag said:

Hard drive recovery can get expensive. Avinext referred us to a place in Houston a few years ago. It's not cheap.

You might try posting in the Nerdery for other places that do it. In the future consider a backup service that copies your hard drive to the cloud all the time. Well worth it at times like this.
Techno-Ag,
do you remember the company that Avinext referred you to in Houston and what the cost was? I'm considering all these options for another hard drive recovery. Thank you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.