TAMU employees asked to work from home this week.

7,207 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dubi
BaitShack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

[We cleaned this thread up because it was derailed and posters were beginning to becoming disrespectful to each other. We are going to keep this thread on topic regarding employees and students returning to class and updates about that subject. -Staff]
tb9665
I wonder if this will happen around here?

Texas State University to hold classes virtually for two weeks amid COVID-19 surge

All classes will be temporarily moved to online/remote learning beginning Jan. 18 through Jan 30
cavscout96
AG
I don't think the regents would be on board with going back to online only.

You'd have a riot of parents.

Also.... Again... Follow the money.

Do you think they are interested in refunding room and board fees?
BCSWguru
Parents arent paying what TAMU is charging for an online school. Would be a terrible decision to go online.
cavscout96
AG
Concur 100%
TexasAggie_02
lost my dog
cavscout96 said:

I don't think the regents would be on board with going back to online only.

I agree - this would be a very bad idea for the students.

(BTW, A&M never went online only. Some classes did, but there was always some in-person instruction.)
FlyRod
Regents…parents…curious what the people actually most directly affected (students, staff, faculty) prefer. I would think a school of 70000 could come up with a survey on this…even a bad one.
EBrazosAg
AG
The in person was like 1-3 students in a 250 student class from what I heard.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

Regents…parents…curious what the people actually most directly affected (students, staff, faculty) prefer. I would think a school of 70000 could come up with a survey on this…even a bad one.
follow...the...money.....

Regents - Parents
FlyRod
I'm not interested in "following the money." I'm interested in people in positions of authority doing the right thing.

It's likely we disagree about what that means, but so be it.
histag10
AG
So I take it you don't believe people in authority are doing the right thing right now? I have no problem with them getting g on with the semester. We are all going to get it anyways, why not speed up the immunity?
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

I'm not interested in "following the money." I'm interested in people in positions of authority doing the right thing.

It's likely we disagree about what that means, but so be it.
the right thing?

please define.

right for who?

The intellectual, developmental, and professional development of the student?

Addressing the concerns of the faculty re: transmission?

Mitigating the financial impacts to the university and the community at large if we have a repeat of spring 2020?

Putting the livelihoods of staff and contract workers at risk due to workforce reduction or reduction in hours worked per employee?

What, exactly, is the "right" thing?

Ultimately though, the "right" thing is somewhat immaterial. Financial concerns will play a very significant role in the decision making process, hence... FTM.

Feel free to wax poetic. I'll hang out over here in reality.
lost my dog
The financial impact of Covid was not felt in Spring 2020. Students had already paid all their tuition by Spring break (after which we shut down.) All rental contracts had been signed for the Spring, so students and their families were already on the hook.

Enrollment numbers in Fall 2020 were good. A&M did not see the drop in enrollment they feared would happen. Housing and parking were hit badly, but they are financially separate entities from the academic side of the house (like athletics is.)

Enrollment numbers in Fall 2021 were very good. Housing was full. Parking decided to make up for lost funds in the 2020-2021 academic year by raising parking rates for the next three years.

If A&M were to go online for the first two weeks of the term like UT Austin and Texas State are doing, it would really suck (and I don't support it), but I doubt anyone will withdraw from the University if this is the case. I have not heard of any university saying they are going fully online for the entire Spring because of the omicron wave, and I expect A&M would be one of the last ones to do so (for political reasons, not financial reasons.)

Money followed?

(Apologies to staff for derailing the thread previously.)
dubi
AG
Quote:

Texas A&M University employees are expected to return to work in-person on Monday, Jan. 10. Mask-wearing, vaccinations and routine testing continue to be strongly encouraged by public health officials.

Following a successful fall semester, in-person spring classes will start as planned Tuesday, Jan. 18. Of course, some professional school classes have different starting dates. The plan is for all classes this semester to begin as originally scheduled.
oldyeller
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

Texas A&M University employees are expected to return to work in-person on Monday, Jan. 10. Mask-wearing, vaccinations and routine testing continue to be strongly encouraged by public health officials.

Following a successful fall semester, in-person spring classes will start as planned Tuesday, Jan. 18. Of course, some professional school classes have different starting dates. The plan is for all classes this semester to begin as originally scheduled.

Dang it! I was hoping for another week or two of being able to work in sweatpants!
dubi
AG
Quote:

Dang it! I was hoping for another week or two of being able to work in sweatpants!
I still have on my pajamas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.