BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

661,065 Views | 2491 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by happyinBCS
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AG81 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Anchor Bar is opening a location in College Station.

Quote:

The Anchor Bar is spreading its wings even wider, with plans to open six new franchise locations across the country next year.

Mark Dempsey, CEO of Anchor Bar Franchise and Development and co-business partner with Marcia Wright, said the new locations will be located in the following communities:
  • Bradenton, Florida
  • Cincinnati, Ohio
  • College Station, Texas
  • Leesburg, Virginia
  • Orlando/Lakeland, Florida
  • Raleigh, North Carolina

The Anchor Bar's original location on Main Street in Buffalo is considered to be the birthplace of the "original Buffalo chicken wing." There are now 13 other Anchor Bar locations, including five in Western New York, four in Texas and one across the border in Hamilton, Ontario.
https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/anchor-bar-to-add-six-franchise-locations-nationwide?fbclid=IwAR3MAAkMkNnkhEexIzWIdopeC3cL7RhV0-zodPST6ZBEXv5psKQFtXmyxMQ

Another chicken wing place? Can't have too many of those.
I prefer to think of it as upscale bar food which is my favorite genre. Can never have enough!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PS3D
Captn_Ag05 said:

From the College Station permit report, I see that the Quality Inn on 6 that has been shut down since the winter storm is going to be cleaned up and remodeled.
If you're talking about the Quality Suites there at Ponderosa, that's been closed since at least 2019.
EBrazosAg
AG
Agreed. We have obviously crossed a demographic/population mark that means many different entities look at expanding here that didn't 5-10 yr ago. It is what it is, and it's no skin off your nose if you aren't interested. Population or demographics means those companies do care…… so sit back and watch. Some will execute and be successful. Others won't. It will hinge on local dynamics as well as regional and national ones. That's the way it goes. I'm just glad we are beyond the day where Black Eyed Pea ( the restaurant, not the band for the young ones) is the big news chain coming to town!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
phillytex24
EBrazosAg said:

Agreed. We have obviously crossed a demographic/population mark that means many different entities look at expanding here that didn't 5-10 yr ago. It is what it is, and it's no skin off your nose if you aren't interested. Population or demographics means those companies do care…… so sit back and watch. Some will execute and be successful. Others won't. It will hinge on local dynamics as well as regional and national ones. That's the way it goes. I'm just glad we are beyond the day where Black Eyed Pea ( the restaurant, not the band for the young ones) is the big news chain coming to town!

So true! I think in 30 years you'll begin to see legitimate skyscrapers in Northgate.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Some rumors of the barbecue game getting stirred up a little bit early next year based on a few posts in the Texas Monthly Top 50 Barbecue thread over on the Food and Spirits forum.
Captn_Ag05
AG
PS3D said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

From the College Station permit report, I see that the Quality Inn on 6 that has been shut down since the winter storm is going to be cleaned up and remodeled.
If you're talking about the Quality Suites there at Ponderosa, that's been closed since at least 2019.
Yes, it is that location. I didn't realize it had been closed that long already! The permit said it was for 2021 winter storm repair and to remodel the hotel. I guess they are either going to re-open or try and fix it up and sell.
ReelAg6
Picked up tacos for the office this morning from Garpez at their new location (2305 Longmire). The location looks great, and they were able to get me in and out quickly. Major upgrade.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Per Rusty at KBTX, HEB has bought land in Navasota and is in talks to build a store there.
Captn_Ag05
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Some rumors of the barbecue game getting stirred up a little bit early next year based on a few posts in the Texas Monthly Top 50 Barbecue thread over on the Food and Spirits forum.
A BBQ festival?
techno-ag
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Per Rusty at KBTX, HEB has bought land in Navasota and is in talks to build a store there.
Good. They won't need to crowd Tower Point anymore.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

A BBQ festival?
I was thinking a new restaurant, but I guess the word "festive" does hint at a festival. Good point.
FlyRod
https://lepetitcochonbcs.com/

Website (and menu) up for Le Petit Cochon.
PS3D
techno-ag said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Good. They won't need to crowd Tower Point anymore.

HEB is notorious for buying land and not doing anything with it for a long time. You'll probably be waiting for at least a decade.
MiMi
S
FlyRod said:

The banner at the top of their website says "We are awaiting our CO (certificate of occupancy) and plan to be open in one week!"
TyHolden
AG
KidDoc
AG
FlyRod said:

Wow looks incredible. Another quality upscale dining option in Aggieland.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod said:

They need to add moules-frites to that menu.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
They've done great work with the building. Pie in the Sky was not the least bit appealing from the outside.
FlyRod
halibut sinclair said:

FlyRod said:

They need to add moules-frites to that menu.

I mean the concept is "mostly French," so there's lots of things they could add like pate, etc. The mussels thing is odd because it's not like they are hard to come by around here.
EBrazosAg
AG
If they can pull off good oysters they are beating almost every option in town. Need some broiled beef bone marrow… one of my favorite appetizers in France. Having a Bavette steak adds authenticity…. Bet I know their source on that- my favorite home grill for a year or so.
legalbird
Tip for restaurants that are opening. Please stop showing ladders and sheetrock.

Even if the kitchen isn't ready, and you want to show pictures, show your entrees/food items.

One defunct pizza shop had 90% of their pictures dedicated to sheetrock, ladders, and brooms.

Talk about missed opportunity.
MarineBQ04
AG
Heard Dunkin' Donuts is coming to Bryan.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Near the Harvey Mitchell Walmart? That was the rumor I heard but that's been a while.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
How much larger is the shopping footprint of the Jones Crossing HEB compared to Tower Point?

It looks quite a bit bigger based on indoor visuals.
PS3D
Marooned_n_Aggieland said:

How much larger is the shopping footprint of the Jones Crossing HEB compared to Tower Point?

Not insignificant. Jones Crossing is 106,000 square feet, Tower Point is just 88,000. H-E-B's stores are much larger than the competition but they're not merchandised as well, I don't think.
MarineBQ04
AG
Somewhere near the bend I think
bcstx06
That doesn't even make since. That's a currently dead part of town that is nowhere near gentrification for a Dunkin' Donuts. My guess would be the Target shopping center or the Walmart at 2818 and W Villa Maria, but there is already a donut shop in that center.
PS3D
bcstx06 said:

That doesn't even make since. That's a currently dead part of town that is nowhere near gentrification for a Dunkin' Donuts. My guess would be the Target shopping center or the Walmart at 2818 and W Villa Maria, but there is already a donut shop in that center.
The Whataburger is being rebuilt, so it's not out of the question.

Speaking of Bryan restaurants, is the Burger Mojo near Frost Bank still going to open, or is it 2023 at the earliest?
Marooned_n_Aggieland
PS3D said:

Marooned_n_Aggieland said:

Not insignificant. Jones Crossing is 106,000 square feet, Tower Point is just 88,000. H-E-B's stores are much larger than the competition but they're not merchandised as well, I don't think.

Thanks PS. I was thinking 20% as a general idea but didn't want to pollute the responses. Fairly close.

I'm going to toss out a Whataburger vid as a treat for your response here.
Costa and Andreas
PS3D said:

bcstx06 said:

The Whataburger is being rebuilt, so it's not out of the question.

Speaking of Bryan restaurants, is the Burger Mojo near Frost Bank still going to open, or is it 2023 at the earliest?

We actually cancelled that location. The construction bid came back 50% higher than forecasted which shifted the delta substantially. We are in no rush and have other things in the pipeline.
rocketscience
AG
Data center at RELLIS given an extension to July 31, 2023 to begin construction.

https://go.boarddocs.com/tx/cobtx/Board.nsf/files/CKZVKS657B75/$file/RCDCR%20Chapter%20Second%20Amendment.pdf
TyHolden
AG
rocketscience said:

Data center at RELLIS given an extension to July 31, 2023 to begin construction.

https://go.boarddocs.com/tx/cobtx/Board.nsf/files/CKZVKS657B75/$file/RCDCR%20Chapter%20Second%20Amendment.pdf
How big? What kind of data going in there?
Captn_Ag05
AG
Even though the first location hasn't opened yet, there are plans for a second Tropical Smoothie Cafe location on Arrington near PetSmart.
lawless89
Captn_Ag05 said:

Even though the first location hasn't opened yet, there are plans for a second Tropical Smoothie Cafe location on Arrington near PetSmart.

At first I thought you were referring to Taste of the Tropics that's in the mall food court. I sure wish they'd move out of there to an easier to access location. I only go maybe once a year now whereas I'd go probably weekly if it wasn't in the mall!
maroon barchetta
Captn_Ag05 said:

Isn't there already a Bahama Bucks? Different market for each?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.