Covid test in stores

10,594 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dubi
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TAMU now giving 2 per week to students, staff, and faculty (email this morning). I cannot imagine everyone will use these every week, so if you know a TAMU person, maybe ask them to give you a few if you cannot find them in stores/have trouble paying for them.
BCSWguru
FlyRod said:

TAMU now giving 2 per week to students, staff, and faculty (email this morning). I cannot imagine everyone will use these every week, so if you know a TAMU person, maybe ask them to give you a few if you cannot find them in stores/have trouble paying for them.

I will use zero of these tests. Will trade for BigShots gift cards
threecatcorner
Some of the articles about that particular testing place (Center for COVID Control), not just here but their locations in the Chicago area too, indicated some suspicion that they might not really be running the tests at all and were possibly just telling people they were negative whether they were or not. The "lab" they mentioned is apparently a place that sells saris (Indian clothing) and it sounded pretty sketchy in general.

Not having actual results and not reporting them might be related.

Drive-thru test issues would also apply to drug stores, but this testing place seems to have some further problems.
histag10
AG
threecatcorner said:

Some of the articles about that particular testing place (Center for COVID Control), not just here but their locations in the Chicago area too, indicated some suspicion that they might not really be running the tests at all and were possibly just telling people they were negative whether they were or not. The "lab" they mentioned is apparently a place that sells saris (Indian clothing) and it sounded pretty sketchy in general.

Drive-thru test issues would also apply to drug stores, but this testing place seems to have some further problems.

I tested at the Woodville Rd Center for COVID Control site. The lab it went through here was a legitimate lab, with their phone number and the name of the lab manager who oversaw the tests. My result was positive.
motherrunnersBCS
I am sorry to hear that. May your symptoms be mild and no after effects.
histag10
AG
motherrunnersBCS said:

It was nothing more than a mild case of the sniffles and wanting/needing to sleep every 4ish hours. Me and my 2 youngest got it (assuming the baby did based on his congestion). My 6 year old and husband somehow avoided it (they tested at that site, and at St Joseph express care).

At this point, my honest opinion is that we should let omicron run rampant and be done with this nonsense. This is essentially what scientists were hoping for- a highly contagious yet mild virus. It can take over the other variants, be mild enough to be as dangerous or less dangerous than influenza, and we just add it to the list of viruses that go around each year (RSV, rhinovirus, rtc)
maroon barchetta
histag10 said:

motherrunnersBCS said:

It was nothing more than a mild case of the sniffles and wanting/needing to sleep every 4ish hours. Me and my 2 youngest got it (assuming the baby did based on his congestion). My 6 year old and husband somehow avoided it (they tested at that site, and at St Joseph express care).

At this point, my honest opinion is that we should let omicron run rampant and be done with this nonsense. This is essentially what scientists were hoping for- a highly contagious yet mild virus. It can take over the other variants, be mild enough to be as dangerous or less dangerous than influenza, and we just add it to the list of viruses that go around each year (RSV, rhinovirus, rtc)

So no headache or gastrointestinal upsets?
maroon barchetta
threecatcorner said:

At no point have I thought "I'm going to get my COVID testing done at the Connex box with the burglar bars at the edge of a parking lot of a strip center".
histag10
AG
maroon barchetta said:

histag10 said:

motherrunnersBCS said:

So no headache or gastrointestinal upsets?

Mild headache, tylenol kept it away. A little gastrointestinal. Neither were bothersome enough for me to care.
Jinx
histag10 said:

motherrunnersBCS said:

Same here. Mild cold, fatigued. Vaccinated.

I do have a family member in the hospital from it, unvaccinated. Theyre starting to talk about having to find a bed for him at amother hospital.
histag10
AG
I am not vaccinated. Didn't hit me hard at all.
Jinx
Good, I'm glad.
Cartographer
Any update on home tests? Trying to snag one in the next few days.
histag10
AG
Is Not a Turtle said:

Any update on home tests? Trying to snag one in the next few days.

Know a TAMU employee? They will be giving 2 a week to employees and students
FlyRod
If they don't run out almost immediately.

Edit: it's down to 1 now not two because of "extraordinary demand."

Trust Sharp!
threecatcorner
I saw some home tests being restocked at CVS on Texas and SW Pkwy yesterday. They were by the front cash register.
Coach Dub
How long is the turnaround on PCR tests? Any idea who has the fastest response time?
ddpg
My wife and I both had PCR tests with Curative. I had my test on Monday and got the results back in about 18 hours. My wife had hers on Wednesday and got the results back in about 40 hours.
KidDoc
AG
Coach Dub said:

How long is the turnaround on PCR tests? Any idea who has the fastest response time?
At St jo it is up to nearly 48 hours now, was less than 24 hours a few weeks ago. Just too many tests each day for them to keep up.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BigMamaP
Gov't site is now live.
FlyRod
Used it easily and...it didn't even crash!

(Hope I didn't just jinx it).
KidDoc
AG
BigMamaP said:

Gov't site is now live.
Thanks for the heads up! Per the order status:

OVID-19 tests will start shipping in late January. USPS will only send one set of 4 free at-home COVID-19 tests to valid residential addresses.

So wait a few weeks before you get sick please.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JP76
KidDoc said:

BigMamaP said:

Gov't site is now live.
Thanks for the heads up! Per the order status:

OVID-19 tests will start shipping in late January. USPS will only send one set of 4 free at-home COVID-19 tests to valid residential addresses.

So wait a few weeks before you get sick please.

Truly saddening with all of the govt money threw at the pandemic that it took 2 years to get to this point
LostInLA07
AG
Probably means January 2024.

Amazon would've had them delivered to 75% of homes by 2PM today.
MiMi
S
My government-provided Covid tests arrived in my mailbox yesterday.
trouble
AG
Mine did as well
dubi
AG
trouble said:

Mine did as well

Mine did not.
histag10
AG
Mine did not.
maroon barchetta
MiMi said:

We paid for them.
MiMi
S
Quote:

We paid for them
Yep. I'm well aware. Just identifying who dropped them in the mailbox.
MisterShipWreck
maroon barchetta
halibut sinclair
FlyRod
Mine were supposed to arrive this Friday, but delivery was updated to today.
FlyRod
Presumably the USA USA USA ones are coming, as there are contracts with Abbott Labs (which weirdly destroyed a huge part of their inventory earlier), and an outfit making them in Wisconsin. IHealth (the orange box) is the Chinese one.

MisterShipWreck said:

MiMi said:

The made in China ones?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.