Need a horse saddle for teenage girl for Christmas gift.

1,288 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by eloc62
eloc62
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey guys. I am looking to buy a saddle for my grand daughter. She started taking riding lessons 6 months ago and now wants her own saddle. Is there anyplace locally to buy one? Should I look in Houston, or does anyone know a good online site to order one?
BrazosDog02
AG
Oh man….

This is like asking us for a good place to buy boots.

I'd suggest you buy used for two reasons…you'll get way more quality for your dollar and…she's going to outgrow it.

Next question….what kind of riding? My kids do ranch work, barrels, western, English….every saddle is different. I dont know how many saddles we bought since they started.

So why don't we start with her size and what she wants to start working on.

After that, we need to know a little about the horse to get the right fit on the animal.

For my dollar….my circle Y "all around roping" are really nice and they won't break the bank. I have a couple of very nice saddles that are from local makers. You really need to kind of learn a little about saddles so you can make a good decision on this.

You should be able to find a very nice saddle for 400-600 dollars. I would highly reccomend buying local and setting up a deal that you can back out of. I've never had anyone not allow me to buy and try a saddle for fit of the horse and rider if I'm not sure and they aren't willing to refund, they can find another buyer. After you buy 15-20 of them you'll know what she needs as she needs it.

Sorry for so many words but it's not quite as simple as it seems.

It's nice that's you're doing this. Support for what she's doing is awesome. It's a lot of fun but it only gets more expensive from here.
ratfacemcdougal
South Texas Tack on 290 in Brenham
birdman
I'd look wherever she is taking lessons. There will be other girls that have outgrown their saddle or quit altogether. The trainer will be able to find you something pretty easily.
akaggie
AG
The Saddle House owned by Adam Schwalm. He has used an new saddles. http://thesaddlehouse.com
My daughter rides and we have bought all of our saddles from him.
eloc62
Thanks for the response. BrazosDog02. I have learned what we are looking for is a 14 inch Barrel saddle. I would have no problem buying her a used saddle in good condition. She is a small framed 13 year old girl. She is not looking to turn professional or anything like that. She just loves going out to the stable, feeding and riding her horse, and working around the stable to do whatever she can to help Miss Maggie out.
mr83tr88
AG
If you can find a good used Billy Cook saddle, that would be great! Those are the saddles my daughter has always used. She started when she was eight and is on her third saddle due to needing different sizes as she grew and progressed. She now prefers a reining saddle.

If you check Craigslist, you can sometimes find good used saddles for reasonable prices. Eve if she is a casual rider, a quality saddle is important.
milner79
Just don't do like I did 20 or so years ago: My gals were into riding so I wanted to surprise them. Bought a saddle off ebay. No idea there were sizes and differences based on the sport and this, that and the other. To this day, they are still laughing at me about that purchase (that was eventually donated for an FFA auction or something).
RDH80
AG
Does she have her own horse ? Or always ride a specific lesson horse ? The size of the tree is also important , not just the seat . Saddle needs to fit the horse as well .
eloc62
Thanks. All the input helps.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.