KAGS (Tegna, Inc) dispute with DISH NETWORK - cease advertising

3,209 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JR Ewing
bradleyk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tegna, Inc owns over 50 stations and demanded a massive increase in retransmission fees from Dish. Fees like that are passed to viewer rates during a time of inflation when we don't need increased rates. Tegna did not agree and subsequently Tegna companies like KAGS and KCEN (Waco) are not available.

As a business owner, does it make sense to continue spending the same amount of advertising with KAGS or KCEN if you have decreased viewership of your advertising campaigns? Personally, I do not see a benefit in increased customer acquisition costs. It is wise for businesses to either demand KAGS and KCEN to decrease advertising rates substantially or agree to retransmit through DISH to pick up more viewers. This disagreement hurts business and consumers as business is not reaching the viewership they expected and the increased customer acquisition costs are being put right back into the cost of goods which is increasing prices to consumers.

Best thing to support consumers in our area is to stop advertising with these two companies.
halibut sinclair
As an advertiser, I would be more concerned about KAGS being off the air frequently for a couple hours multiple times per week in the mornings.
ontheedge
Personally, we dumped Dish 2 years ago after a 20 year association with them. NBC programming is horrid in my opinion and we only watch KAGS evening news through an app on Roku. Funny we get ABC, CBS, Fox over the air but not KAGS. KCEN has a larger following I'm sure due to a larger market and being established so I don't believe it hurts them as it would KAGS.

To your question, businesses have to decide for themselves what is best. There are disruptions of service for other stations through the various delivery formats from time to time. No one is immune.
Aggie
AG
We have Dish and get houston locals… we have been without CBS on dish for over 2 months now.

Sleepnumber
AG
I have Dish but do not get Houston stations. How do you do that?
techno-ag
AG
You can pick up locals on an antenna, or just stream the local news.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
bradleyk
techno-ag said:

You can pick up locals on an antenna, or just stream the local news.

We will have to stream, but our rural internet has to be able to handle that and many times it does not. Many of us, in our area of rural Brazos, need towers in excess of 45 feet for our antenna's to work. Not convenient at all. One of the big advertisers for KAGS is an ag implement company. Considering that their reach is for rural residents, I am surprised they would continue to advertise when roughly half of rural residents have Dish... others have DirectTV. We could switch to DirectTV, but they have pulled this on DirectTV also and it rose rates.
Counterpoint
AG
Sleepnumber said:

Give them a different service zip. Just make sure you change it back if you actually need service. This is what we do. Also, call Dish and they'll install a fancy antenna for free. This costs them more than paying Tegna would in the short run, but not in the long term.
bradleyk
Counterpoint said:

Sleepnumber said:

Give them a different service zip. Just make sure you change it back if you actually need service. This is what we do. Also, call Dish and they'll install a fancy antenna for free. This costs them more than paying Tegna would in the short run, but not in the long term.

That is good to know about the antenna. I will call them Monday for sure and inquire. That would be helpful.
Counterpoint
AG
bradleyk said:

Counterpoint said:

Sleepnumber said:

That is good to know about the antenna. I will call them Monday for sure and inquire. That would be helpful.

FYI, I called to cancel because of the dispute and that's what they offered. So I don't know if you should call and ask for an antenna or threaten to cancel, but the cancellation threat is what worked for me. And I am still very early in my two year contract so that wasn't an issue. Good luck!
woodometer
AG
TEGNA is in negotiations to be sold to Byron Allen. They are holding out with Dish to try to get as much as they can to make their bottom line as attractive as possible.
maroon barchetta
woodometer said:

TEGNA is in negotiations to be sold to Byron Allen. They are holding out with Dish to try to get as much as they can to make their bottom line as attractive as possible.

Byron Allen the comedian and former talk show host?
RyanFromTexas
maroon barchetta said:

woodometer said:

Byron Allen the comedian and former talk show host?
Yes, that Byron Allen.
JR Ewing
AG
bradleyk said:

Tegna, Inc owns over 50 stations and demanded a massive increase in retransmission fees from Dish. Fees like that are passed to viewer rates during a time of inflation when we don't need increased rates. Tegna did not agree and subsequently Tegna companies like KAGS and KCEN (Waco) are not available.

As a business owner, does it make sense to continue spending the same amount of advertising with KAGS or KCEN if you have decreased viewership of your advertising campaigns? Personally, I do not see a benefit in increased customer acquisition costs. It is wise for businesses to either demand KAGS and KCEN to decrease advertising rates substantially or agree to retransmit through DISH to pick up more viewers. This disagreement hurts business and consumers as business is not reaching the viewership they expected and the increased customer acquisition costs are being put right back into the cost of goods which is increasing prices to consumers.

Best thing to support consumers in our area is to stop advertising with these two companies.

Are you the one that watches it?
ontheedge
JR Ewing said:

bradleyk said:

No, I am.
bradleyk
JR Ewing said:

bradleyk said:

I don't right now because it is offline. I also won't support these companies with advertising. Right now Tegna is telling Dish customers to get DirecTV. Well, the problem is that DirecTV just negotiated and payed an increased retransmission cost which is making their prices higher. To me, Tegna is taking Dish hostage and we, the consumers, are going to pay the ransom.

These stations sell a lot of advertising so I am not quite sure why they charge retransmission fees anyway, but I am not switching to DirecTV and paying more. I have been without NBC for 4 weeks or longer and finally getting used to it.
JR Ewing
AG
bradleyk said:

JR Ewing said:

bradleyk said:

I don't right now because it is offline. I also won't support these companies with advertising. Right now Tegna is telling Dish customers to get DirecTV. Well, the problem is that DirecTV just negotiated and payed an increased retransmission cost which is making their prices higher. To me, Tegna is taking Dish hostage and we, the consumers, are going to pay the ransom.

These stations sell a lot of advertising so I am not quite sure why they charge retransmission fees anyway, but I am not switching to DirecTV and paying more. I have been without NBC for 4 weeks or longer and finally getting used to it.

I feel like everything in life is an us against them. The channels complain DirecTV is raising their rates. DirecTV says the channels are asking too much all the time. It's all a show. They both don't give a crap and they know you, the consumer, will eventually pay more. It's like the government. They put on a good show, but they just want your money.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.